Net Neutrality

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
Signed the ever helling fuck up! Thanks for helping to raise awareness on this!

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
No prob. Like I say, I'm just happy that Fen put it up there on the front page today.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well it may be whack-a-mole but without people whacking those appearing head one sooner or later woudl end up doing what it wanted and mess up life of many normal people.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Until the current system of ISPs posessing monopolies on areas is trampled, this will keep happening. The solution is to either A) Mandate companies must rent out their cables to competitors, or B) Nationalize the fiber network and rent out the cables to companies.

Both cut out the overheads of laying down new cables (unless in areas currently not serviced by a network), and allows ISP start-ups access to the market without such a large up-front cost, aswell as increases the competition between ISPs, thereby driving down the price and increasing the speeds for consumers.

Reactions: A79

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Daily reminder that the battle is still ongoing, and that if you haven't signed up and/or contacted your congressional representative, please do so!

Reactions: ShySquare and A79

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Seriously, the fight isn't over! Like Woider said, it's not too late to sign up and help make a difference. If we lose net neutrality, it'll be a return to the dark days of 57.6 dialup speeds for any website not officially operated on sanctioned by our ISPs.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I too remember having to dial every 15 minutes on the internet, and waiting like a minute for a website to load.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
These days it won't be a one minute load time. With as image heavy as modern sites are, with as many individual scripts as they run, and gods forbid they have audio or video-- it'll be a twenty or thirty minute load. I personally don't use a single site associated with or even hosted by my ISP. I really don't want to lose access to literally EVERY site that I frequent.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Dark days are ahead for the US if it falls. The ISPs will be able to deliberately weaken the country's overall economy for their own personal benefit, far worse than the way they're currently holding it back. Anyone familiar with tax and dead weight loss in economics will know what I'm talking about. It does seem likely that if it does fall through and people start to realize just how bad things get that net neutrality will be reinstated as soon as there's a change of the guard.

Who knows? Maybe there's be enough anger for the ISPs to actually end up being nationalized? It is the US, but you have to wonder just how brazen these corps think they can be before they start hurting themselves in the process?

Reactions: ShySquare and A79

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Honestly, I feel like most of America has become too apathetic to riot over something like this.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
Honestly, I feel like most of America has become too apathetic to riot over something like this.

Have you been watching America lately? People riot if a conservative tries to speak at a college or a cop shoots an armed criminal. Colorado will probably be the only place without riots, and that's just because 80% of the populace is too stoned to care.

Reactions: TheInfamousImmortal