Naming Stuff

The_Smile

Sep 14, 2022
When given the option of naming stuff in the game like your Siegwulfe, or Bizzy's business, what do you usually do for names like those? Also do you end up changing Embry's name during her interactions?

I usually have trouble deciding on what to name so either I don't change the names, or go with the one mentioned on the wiki; Sig and Nova. Naming Bizzy's business took more time than I want to admit, but I went with 'Beneath the Biz'.

Angelyn

Dec 29, 2021
I like the names I choose to represent who or what I'm naming in some way and I'm a fan of mythology so I usually name my combat Siegwulfe Athena and my bimbo Siegwulfe Aphrodite. I like to change up the name of BEN based on whatever boy name I like at the time but I always name my Gray Goo Armor Silvia because of her silvery coloration. As for Bizzy's business I usually go with 'Erotic Angels' because when I think about the tattoo you have the choice to give her I like the idea of it being the silhouette of a nude angel with swirly E.A underneath her. As for Embry I usually don't change her name although I did once just to see what would happen. I went with Andromeda and kept getting confused about who I was talking to because I forgot that I changed her name so I decided to just leave her name alone from then on.

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
I hate naming things.. I usually go with what is already in the box. My Steeles have my name and when I do play a Male Steele I go with Alex.

shrikes

Apr 24, 2017
I feel your pain. Whenever I finish character generation for a TTRPG or MMORPG, I spend triple the time agonizing over a name. In TiTS, when I've picked out a name for an NPC, or object, I usually carry that over between my different Steeles. For instance, my Siegwulfe has always been named Amber (which, admittedly, has led to a little initial confusion when Amber the deertaur got her name), and my graygoo armor has always been Trude.

I get thrown for a bit of a loop when I have to name kids, like all of Sera's kids. One tool that does help me is a site called Fantasy Name Generator (just google it, because i dunno if i can include a link here). It's pretty flexible and can give suggestions for even real names based on culture. It can even help with ship names.

Hope this helps.

Gutts

Sep 19, 2016
It really depends on my mood. I normally play an androgynous or feminine male character so I try to use androgynous names like Quin or Alex. The grey goo armour I just call Nova after the ship she was made in. I’ve struggled what to name Bizzys business, but I usually go with Twin Tail Studios. I imagine the logo being framed by a pair of Kaithrit tails in the shape of a heart.

Jan 26, 2018
One tool that does help me is a site called Fantasy Name Generator (just google it, because i dunno if i can include a link here). It's pretty flexible and can give suggestions for even real names based on culture. It can even help with ship names.
Didn't know about this site. Thanks a lot, I will use it a lot ;)

I usually go with the flow when naming things. The only exception is The Gray Goo Armor. I name her Bubble everytime (thanks Valerian ^^).

Fun fact about naming child (tested it with Sera, don't know if it works with others). Name them with a number. You can call them 1 to 14. After that : You must enter a name no more than fourteen characters long. :D

• Haha
Reactions: shrikes

shrikes

Apr 24, 2017
Didn't know about this site. Thanks a lot, I will use it a lot ;)

I really love fantasy name generator and I'm happy to spread the word. Whenever I play a TTRPG, I always have it open on a tab in the background. I'm the GM's little helper and secretary during games (I take all the notes in the games and send a short summary of the night's adventures) and whenever my GM needs a name for random NPC, it's fantasy name generator to the rescue! It's been especially helpful during our Star Trek and Star Wars games because each species has a different naming convention. It's been helpful in vanilla D&D 5e too when we end up at a nameless tavern, It doesn't take too long to come up with a fun/memorable name for it.

What I've been doing with Sera's kids is generating Edwardian names because it sort of fits with Sera (at least in my head). When I need a name for my PC in a tabletop game, I normally go for an appropriate category and have the site generate names a few times, noting down first and last names i like, then mash together the two that I like best.