Methods you use to "modify" the gameplay?

orcsoul

Nov 22, 2015
Really couldn't think of a better title than this... and probably doesn't even come close to articulating what I mean..

In short.. What (if anything) have you done to make the gameplay in CoC (or anything else for that matter) more interesting? Main reason I did this with CoC is that the mechanics of CoC lend themselves to what I've done better than TiTS did for example.

For example, in a recent fresh playthrough I decided I would implement some dice rolling mechanic into my gameplay. Rolling a d100 (or 2d10) and if the result is greater than, or equal to my in-game corruption value I do the "right" thing that would be something the hero would do, or result in corruption loss or minimal gain when no better option is available.

I've gone on to extend this to food where when the character gets hungry and I have multiple options available, I'll roll (based on food choices) to determine randomly what food item to eat.

I've enjoyed the feeling of a real "tug of war" between the character and giving in to corruption, and the true feeling of a slippery slope as the deeper they fall, the harder it gets to return. Though this little system I've been toying with is far from perfect, it can greatly slow down gameplay having to nearly constantly fumble with some dice or a dice roller program, and some aspects of the game just don't lend themselves at all to this little house rule I created.

So has anybody else experimented with creating their own homebrew "modification" to CoC, etc? Care to share?

NathanTrial

Aug 28, 2016
I was going to do something like this. Essentially create a character with my own created backstory and base my gameplay off of that. He was going to be a man who was drugged by an imp (Zetaz) in his sleep to have a demon characteristic. He was going to travel into the portal under the guise of wanting to be the "hero" but he really wanted revenge. So I'd basically ignore the original set up to the game and only "really" start the game when I got some random potions to give my character some random demonic trait. Instead I ended up writing Zendra's quest, in the writing forum, based off of this idea. When I got around to writing it, it just felt more natural for it to a woman on the quest I guess because I changed the motivation from pure revenge to her wanting to regain her humanity with a sprinkle of revenge. I just changed the motivation because it's more fun to write for, for me, a hack & slash revenge tale is more fun to play.