Mass Effect Andromeda: Yay or Nay?

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Hi guys! Endwar here

Anyway, I am in a conundrum of sorts over whether or not purchasing a copy of ME:A for myself. After watching Youtube players both from the praise and the rant engines, I am starting to have my doubts on whether or not its worth the purchase.

For me, a good game is only as good as its story as graphics are something I can overlook; however characters and mechanics on the other hand is another thing entirely. If it feels good, and plays good then count me in. Sadly, I am starting to waver how I can emulate Ryder as well as Shepherd considering the flaws that I am hearing about the cast, ESPECIALLY how vitriol around this Liam guy. So any thought guys?

Just in case; keep it civil guys, no calcs or series superiority (to a degree), hopefully a clean discussion for the most part regarding Mass Effect Andromeda I don't mind deviations some derails, and jabbing but I expect civility. Thank you :3

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
From what I've seen of reviews it's not worth buying. Maybe get it used when it's cheap if you really like Mass Effect.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Andromeda is not a bad game at all. It's an okay game, a 7/10 game. There's a lot to like in the game and a lot you can get out of your money. The biggest issue with the game is actually that it released around the same time as many fantastic games and there's some really steep competition you need to compare it to. Is it worth the money? Probably. Should you buy it over other games? That's a much tougher question that depends heavily on what you're looking for in a game and what your budget is.

Reactions: Freed85

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
From what I read from reviews, it's buggy, very buggy, from tedious things to game play to animations, ect, ect. But that's what you expect from Bioware and them being bitches to Electronic Arts who forces them to rush production and push the game out when they want them too even if there are bugs.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I'm holding off on buying it until a big sale arrives, myself. Doesn't seem like there's any real interesting RPGs out at the moment.

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
Andromeda is not a bad game at all. It's an okay game, a 7/10 game. There's a lot to like in the game and a lot you can get out of your money. The biggest issue with the game is actually that it released around the same time as many fantastic games and there's some really steep competition you need to compare it to. Is it worth the money? Probably. Should you buy it over other games? That's a much tougher question that depends heavily on what you're looking for in a game and what your budget is.

^ This pretty much this. thought i cant help but feel a little cheated out..... cuz no quarian squad member.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
^ This pretty much this. thought i cant help but feel a little cheated out..... cuz no quarian squad member.

This is Bioware and EA, they're going to abuse and capitalize their new bitch of a game by releasing DLC's, They've done it before and they're going to do it again.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
What rankles me is the sooo many missed opportunities by leaving out the Quarians. Exploration, a chance at a new and different life, specialized needs and etc. I mean it irks me when during someone's playthrough; Jaal (is that the name? or was it someone else) actually says that they can relate and are alot like the Quarians. It fuuumed me to no end; Oh really?! Do you have a weakened immune system where a sneeze is fatal? Did your race were forced off their homeworld for generations out of misunderstanding and fear? Did your race had to be forced to wear suits when your an infant and unable to touch the people you care for whether out of love or leisure?

Puuhlease, I mean sure it will probably be DLC, but they are a primary race of the franchise! Not sidelined in a dialogue!

Unrelated but I couldnt help myself; ShepXTali btw

Reactions: zelda_fan6284

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
I would not even bother with the game. And any other games that get rushed out the door. I hate how game developers are more focused on DLC and rushing games out then actually giving a shit about their players or games. Im so fucking tired of a game being released and its not even finished, or was poorly made so we have to wait until thay patch it up instead if them doing it right the first time. Let them know this by not buying their shit until they act right.

Last edited:

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
I would not even bother with the game. And any other games that get rushed out the door. I hate how game developers are more focused on DLC and rushing games out then actually giving a shit about their players or games. Im so fucking tired of a game being released and its not even finished, or was poorly made so we have to wait until that patch it up instead if them doing it right the first time. Let them know this by not buying their shit until they act right.

This, very much this. All one needs to do is compare the first ME game to Andromeda to see how schlocky Andromeda is. And im not talking bugs, those have been done to death.

No, what Im talking is how you can look at the original and see each character with a unique or different model that allows them to feel like individual characters...whereas Andromeda literally used the same Salarian model for all members of that race and Im pretty sure for the Krogan too with minor variations.

Im talking how the basic background for how they got there is canon breaking and should have been caught at the writing board: the speed needed for the ships to get to andromeda would mean they had to have Mass Effect tech that could kill the reapers if they launched gauss rounds at the same speed. Or how about the fact that the Relays are quantum locked on an atomic level and so for the Geth to take 3 apart and stitch them back into a fracking telescope means that the Geth would be annihilated by the Reapers for figuring that bit of space magic out.

I'm talking about how in the first game the class you chose at the started mattered in gameplay and dialogue options, how a soldier could ignore the weather in heavy armor or an engineer could mock the toughest locks. In Andromeda the 'Pathfinder' is a literal Gary or Mary stu by did of being able to be everything if they so choose. The classes literally become another weapon or inventory socket go be adjusted at will and further divorcing the player from the role playing element.

I'm talking about how their cast of writers shows they don't even care about the Roleplaying part of the RPG...Mass Effect was fun...but when EA came into the picture...well, it was a good run for Bioware. So while I won't go after those who enjoy the game, i will disagree with them heartily about Andromeda. It is, to me, utter proof that the hope we all felt at the end of Mass Effect has been betrayed and the potential has been wasted.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
I'm talking about how in the first game the class you chose at the started mattered in gameplay and dialogue options, how a soldier could ignore the weather in heavy armor or an engineer could mock the toughest locks. In Andromeda the 'Pathfinder' is a literal Gary or Mary stu by did of being able to be everything if they so choose. The classes literally become another weapon or inventory socket go be adjusted at will and further divorcing the player from the role playing element.

Yeah that one is what I believe is the most vital in the combat. You can take pride as a highly trained marksman/combatant as a Soldier, you can be a biotic blitzkrieg with Vanguard, or be a pain in the ass pro Enginee as you dismantle combatants, the profile system cheapens the value and as you say the Pathfinder becomes very much a Gary/Mary Sue. It doesnt make for fun VS threads either as arguments defending Ryder boils down to 'but Ryder can use the profiles and switch between them'.

Oh Yeah? Profiles huh? Cute, how about your entire fabric of existance being turned to jelly by a Space Marine Librarian, or Vader's force choke.

btw whats that about being Quantum Locked on an atomic level?

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Basically the way the quote is "The relays are made of an unknown but incredibly resilient material, the same material that the Citadel is built from, and are protected by a quantum shield that renders them nearly impervious to damage by locking their structure in place at the subatomic level. They are even capable of surviving a supernova's wake without being damaged. "

So its the subatomic level then...that only reinforces my point about how the Geth being able to do this would have them being obliterated by the Reapers for pulling it off.

Dragonspiderkitsune

Sep 27, 2016
www.pixiv.net
Having played through the game and just starting on new game +, I'll say that I like the game quite a lot. Perhaps it's just because I don't usually play so called triple A releases that much so a lot of the bugs and visual stuff don't bother me that much, and knowing that they'll fix those issue along the way is good enough for me. But I will suggest whoever considering buying it to wait till more patches are made.

Coming back to the game itself, the combat felt great with tons of customization. Writing and humor is really subjective so all I have to say is that I personally like it. I think a lot of people made the mistake of comparing Andromeda to the entire previous trilogy when it comes to things like character development and scale. Even though I must admit Andromeda took very few risks in terms of design, this is just the beginning of the Andromeda story line and as a starting point it serves its purpose. I'm interested to see where does the story go from here, what are the long term consequences of my choices, and how would Bioware address the criticisms came up for this game.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@argenten
By that quote and logic, then shouldnt that mean that it should not have been possible for Shepard to blow up a Mass Relay -where in universe it said can survive a supernova- by sending a giant rock at it? Or did it not factor in the kinetic energy and mass by the asteroid? Or is it excuse through writing

@Dragonspiderkitsune
Fair point in your argument, though considering Bioware's less than welcoming -and by extension EA's- current attitude according to general rumors (at least from my perspective) that they are not treating their developers right. I am not exactly sure to support a game where it is made for the sake of committee and solely profit on the backs of hones to good people constructing an entirely new game from a well known franchise with new mechanics from the ground up.

Still though, I would be actually impressed if they would introduce more than just two new races, I mean after the Reapers, the Ket just feels like a sad succesor antagonists. I wish that they had more creativity than that.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Still though, I would be actually impressed if they would introduce more than just two new races, I mean after the Reapers, the Ket just feels like a sad succesor antagonists. I wish that they had more creativity than that.
To be fair, that's how I felt during Mass Effect 2, aswell.

And really, I can't think of any games studio that treats their developers right. It seems like horror story after horror story, whether it's a western, eastern, big, small or medium-sized studio.

Reactions: argenten

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
To be fair, that's how I felt during Mass Effect 2, aswell.

And really, I can't think of any games studio that treats their developers right. It seems like horror story after horror story, whether it's a western, eastern, big, small or medium-sized studio.

That's a reason why indie developers are super popular now.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
That's a reason why indie developers are super popular now.
I mean, compared to 5 years ago, yeah. But, in all honesty, the indie scene is being held up by the 5% of them that get reasonable attention, with most being ignored for one reason or another.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Uh, hello, CDProjekt. Their last product was an expansion bigger than most full games and for a typical "season pass" price.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Seems like you still overpaid.

Also Mass Effect does need more threesomes.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Seems like you still overpaid.

Also Mass Effect does need more threesomes.

Sadly I wouldn't have been able to get it during the steam summer sale since ME:A is not available on Steam. The only platform you can get it on currently for the PC is Origin.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Isn't Origin actually pretty good now? They had to make it good since the only way they could compete with Steam was to make their store much better than Steam.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Origin? What's Origin? I can only assume that it sounds like an alternative to Steam, but I never heard of Origin

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
It's pretty famous. You need it for a lot of EA games.