Looking for partner who specializes in project management

_m0RV_

Jul 18, 2018
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've been part of a team making an adult game for over a year now and was looking for some help on the front end. We're in the final stages of polishing the new demo. The game has fun mechanics, smooth graphics, and an interesting story, as well as plenty of sexy-time options. I mean, the thing practically sells itself, but that's not good enough.

We need a project manager, a marketing guy, a PR guy, a hype guy. At least that's what I'm thinking. I'm an artist who's relatively versatile, but charisma isn't my strong suit. I'd love to get some strategical feedback. Feel free to to start a private conversation with me, or just reply here.

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016
Personally I have been a project manager in real life but not related to games, in a tiny group it's kind of easy to organize so I can leave you a few tips and perhaps you can actually solve that part yourself:

-First of all you need to know how much time does x member to do y action. Basically the artist how much time does he need to draw a picture, the programmer how much time does he need to code the picture, the story or interaction that generates it... and the writer how much time does he need to write a good quest/dialogue/interaction that makes sense.

-Try to maximize time while giving the team members a bit of "fresh air", basically try to not adjust time expectations to the minimum, if you try to push it then it is very easy to fail to meet the times and generate too much in the team.

-Remember to talk each day to the members of the group and ask them what they are doing, it's important to see that everything is being made within the expectations and if not try to minimize the effect of the retard.

-Don't leave alone a member that isn't advancing/working, one of the main problems that you will find is that perhaps a member for various reasons will try to delay work, on that case you will need to add pressure because as a project manager you can't accept big delays because of one member, at worst they will want to be paid without working and never do that, I have seen too many cases of paying and people leaving without working.

-Basically the objective of a project manager is to achieve the objective, in the case of a game it is to generate content, and that's why it's needed to coordinate everything in a team, for example think for a moment that you want to create a quest, if you think about it writing and coding perhaps can't be done at the same time, but perhaps it may be possible that the programmer can prepare all necessary steps so that he only needs to add the text to complete the quest, with this you are optimizing time.

Usually in a tiny team you won't need a project manager per se, in the sense that having that position is usually when a project has many members (I would say at least 8 or 10) and it starts to need someone that focus only of that, that or overly complicated projects that have production bottlenecks and many problems along the way of production, you would need someone to control that.

To end I will do a tiny resume of what I said:

1º Have estimations of the time needed to do x, that means all part of the process and try to optimize it.

2º Interact with the members of the team to see that everything is going well and if something happens be prepared

3º Try to always achieve the time limit, to do that you will need an adequate one, so don't rush your team members in the estimation.

4º It may be a good thing if all the team can talk with each other so that they have a direct interaction with each other.

Basically with this you can more or less coordinate a tiny team, the main problem is when the team is bigger or there are some production problems which makes it necessary to have someone in that position.

Reactions: Nephilim_Anunnaki

_m0RV_

Jul 18, 2018
Thanks for the sage words, @DawnCry. Part of the reason I'm asking is because we're in the process of "going public" with the lore, getting the community involved. I'm stepping down as project lead, because I clearly have no idea how to lead.

_m0RV_

Jul 18, 2018
It's got about three hours of main quest content, thousands of dollars in programming and art. The visuals are tight and smooth, and the mechanics are "a start". The story is pretty tight now, as well. In short, it's playable and -- I think -- enjoyable. It's not the typical public release, I know, but I can't afford to keep developing it in the closet. It's grown beyond my means. So in my mind, a public release offers the community a chance to continue to invest in it. It's up to them to shoulder the financial burden from now on, which at the moment, means a development budget of just under 100 dollars a month.