Levitation overrides Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxGirlFan

Oct 28, 2023
There is currently a rather frustrating bug where the level 9 Kineticist perk, Levitation will prevent the use of Flight unless Steele currently has zero energy. This is generally a downgrade as Flight prevents melee from hitting you at all while Levitation merely increases evasion by 10, and that is disregarding the 15-energy cost of the skill. I have noticed that Kineticist has less ability options than the other classes and is not (as of writing) listed as one of the classes Steele can pick on the wiki page. Hopefully this minor annoyance will be an easy fix and is the result of the Kineticist class having less work done on it than the other classes.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Levitation is supposed to be 'Flying But Better', which is why it overrides 'Lift Off'. And Flight only blocks 'Basic Melee Attacks', when most enemies use 'Melee-Flavored Special Attacks', which ignore Flight.

But you're right. Basic attacks do seem to hit Levitate when they would auto-miss Flying. For example:
Naleen Male, Korgonne Female (flurry attack).

FoxGirlFan

Oct 28, 2023
Even if it's meant to be a better version, the simple fact that 'Lift Off' doesn't cost energy makes the trade-off more viable.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Even if it's meant to be a better version, the simple fact that 'Lift Off' doesn't cost energy makes the trade-off more viable.
There are specific notes I ran into upon reviewing that specify the order of use (Levitation+Energy > Jetpack > Wings), so it seems it was intentionally set that way--and I assume that was for combat balance purposes. I brought it up to Fen and I was given the go-ahead to change how it works. If you have multiple valid options, it should now give you a choice of what to use in its own sub-menu. Hopefully these changes will appear in the next release.

Reactions: Theron

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I brought it up to Fen and I was given the go-ahead to change how it works. If you have multiple valid options, it should now give you a choice of what to use in its own sub-menu. Hopefully these changes will appear in the next release.
What about Basic Melee Attacks hitting Levitation? Did that get fixed? They miss Jetpack and Wing Flight.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
What about Basic Melee Attacks hitting Levitation? Did that get fixed? They miss Jetpack and Wing Flight.
I'll try to look into it, but off the bat, I don't think there are any special rules between melee and levitation to make that different. Levitation should add an extra 10 to evasion though, so there is that.

Although, if you have sample text of where the issue happens, that might help.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Although, if you have sample text of where the issue happens, that might help.
I posted it up thread, but Vs Female Naleen:
Jetpack said:
The naleen surges forward, lunging at you and swinging her razor-sharp claws right at your throat!
The naleen can’t reach you! You are too high!
The naleen can’t reach you! You are too high!
Levitation said:
The naleen surges forward, lunging at you and swinging her razor-sharp claws right at your throat!
The naleen hits you with her claws! Your shield crackles but holds. (S: −1)
The naleen hits you with her claws! Your shield crackles but holds. (S: −1)

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks. From what I can see, if the character has the status effect "Flying" or "Levitating", the character should be considered as Flying--which will produce the "too high" evasion blurb.

Just to make sure, feel free to share your save file and I'll double check.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Just to make sure, feel free to share your save file and I'll double check.
Jetpack and level 9. Don't have Levitate, because I didn't finish leveling up. Get into a fight with either the Naleen Male or Female.

Attachments

• Levitest.json
    626.8 KB · Views: 4

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Alright, thanks. I think I got it. I had read the checks wrong--the target of the attack was only checking for the "Flying" effect instead of the isFlying check. This issue should hopefully be fixed for the next release.

Reactions: Theron
Status
Not open for further replies.