Lazy Creators

K

Kokayi005

As a passionate writer and artist I can't stand lazy works of art. Especially when people like to bull shit like they were being lazy or that it's cute that they're lazy.

Example. " I know I could have better explained the lore for my 3 book mini series. But in my defense, I'm a lazy little so and so. (pauses for laughter from fans)"

I would have to fight the urge to do this writer bodily harm. So let me get this straight. It's rare to even publish works and you phoned it in even when you're living the dream? SMH death.

What is lazy writing artwork? Did you put a dot in the middle of a white canvas and then talk for 2 hours about how it represents emptiness? Did you write a script for a sci-fi movie and use any of the following: mind body switching, a baby being born at the end of a season after a character died, evil twins, unexplained evil corporation, evil parent, villain that wants to take over the world that's equated to Hitler, mad scientist hired by people who know they are mad or immoral, evil entity that existed since the dawn of time and never explains why it's evil--it just is, character know important secret that could solve lots of problems but keeps the secret to themselves for the same of drama and dies with the secret. I could go on forever.

The point is, never just phone it in. If you're getting lazy, take a break and come back to it refreshed . Never just slap shit together and try to be funny about it like no one will notice.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
It's easy to decry laziness in fiction. I used to do it a lot myself. I've mellowed as I've experienced what it's actually like to write for money.

Laziness as the audience perceives it is rarely the result of the creator literally not being arsed enough about what they're doing; it's almost always a result of time constraints. You have a deadline to meet, so the part where you explained how the wizard got his magic had to go. You have bills to pay, so you whip off the commission as fast as you can so you can take on another. You *have* to get this episode script done tonight, you didn't sleep last night, so alright, we'll do some bullshit to make the character do this. Unless you are fat, sailor-hat-wearing dwarf who can afford to twat around for seven years because your previous books became a global phenomenon this is life, if you're a writer.

In your example, the writer's being self-effacing about their inability to manage time effectively enough to explain everything they wanted. Or maybe they're being sarcastic, because they don't consider what some fans are bitching about important to the story that was told. Either way, if you managed to publish a 3 book mini-series, you are almost by definition not lazy.

K

Kokayi005

All I'm saying is: why joke about it. I feel like if it just about not having enough time, save it for a compilation book with info on the lore. Or a behind the scenes video documentary if it's a movie.

If the execs are hounding you, okay fine, I get it. But don't play me and say you're making money doing what you love and stiff wanna paint his cute writer angle who just can't get their shit together. Web comic artists have done this a lot too. icymasamune a artist I used to love ruined my image of him by giving up on his own comic to get into online gaming and hanging out with his friends. I had been reading his poison wind shadow lark symphony comics for years. Then one day he just let's it die and that's that. SMH

Never meet your heroes.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
The laziest fiction is really the utterly banal drivel that's gleefully derivative and just trying to cash in on a trend. It's lazy for both its creator and its audience, not intended to make anyone think or feel or react all that strongly in easy sense, the creative equivalent of junk food.

Writing on a timeline leads to sacrifices and sometimes the writer really doesn't care about some minor details as much as a fan might but it only feels truly lazy when it's abundantly clear that the writer is just hitting beats off of a list in the exact way they're expected to, rote and cliche and devoid of all personality.

Reactions: Kokayi005
K

Kokayi005

Yeah like a book from a farm fresh with the lady draped over a man on a cliff. Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey shit.
Those are irredeemable . But some shows, movies, anime, cartoons ALL use a few tried weak ass plot devices to be filler for the rest of a season or spur on a sequel.

A "Get outta Jail Free card" for artist is saying "I purposely left that up for interpretation. BULL SHIT! BULL SHIT GOOD SIR! Sometimes they are saying that just so the fans fill in the blanks on a plot hole. Or they don't want to admit they didn't write the song.