Kiyoko wedding missed detail

nottelling

Sep 30, 2018
The entire storyline around Kiyoko is huge, complex, and a feat of both writing and programming. It is nearly perfect, and what I am about to say does not matter, but it is a detail that I noticed was missing and kind of bugs me.

If your background is "Noble Scion," that means that your parents are likely at least Barons. Maybe even Counts or Dukes. At the very least, you come from a Noble house and are a nobleman, even if you are the youngest son.

That being said, wouldn't a noble scion marrying into one of the most important families of a foreign nation be a big deal? It would mean prestige for the PC's entire family, ignoring all potential political implications which would also be of massive benefit.

It is expected that your family would not be able to make their way to attend the wedding or anything, but don't you think it would be pertinent to write a letter to your parents and explain the situation?

As it is written now, I imaging the PC eventually waking up one day a few years after the game ended, and suddenly being like "oh yeah I should probably introduce my kids to their grandparents. Or tell my parents that they have about fifty fox grand kids."

mrpockets

Apr 8, 2017
wouldn't you have several hundred fox children by the time it's a few years after the game ends? nutting in Kiyoko causes her pregnancy to jump forwards even after you get her out of the astral plane...several hundred may actually be low balling it, by a lot...especially if you take any of the other kitsunes, like Kurako and Kohaku, as concubines.

nottelling

Sep 30, 2018
wouldn't you have several hundred fox children by the time it's a few years after the game ends? nutting in Kiyoko causes her pregnancy to jump forwards even after you get her out of the astral plane...several hundred may actually be low balling it, by a lot...especially if you take any of the other kitsunes, like Kurako and Kohaku, as concubines.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I can imagine that it would be a difficult conversation.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
As it is written now, I imaging the PC eventually waking up one day a few years after the game ended, and suddenly being like "oh yeah I should probably introduce my kids to their grandparents. Or tell my parents that they have about fifty fox grand kids."

I feel like that goes for every background regardless. "Oh man mom's gonna KILL me."

And then your 10 mommies sitting in your bed all go "What, why?"

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Noble Scion is the youngest of their family. At best, they were the spare to the spare to the heir. They weren't going to inherit any title or position. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the family forgot the Champion existed half the time.

"Hello Mother! I have news! I got married!"
"That's nice. Who are you again?"

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
It's been a while since I've played CoC2 but IIRC, background doesn't do much (if anything) past giving bonuses/affinities at the time of character creation.

Aury

Dec 22, 2019
It's been a while since I've played CoC2 but IIRC, background doesn't do much (if anything) past giving bonuses/affinities at the time of character creation.
Aside from just brief mentions, there's a couple of options that are available to specific backgrounds. Only examples I can think of at the moment are helping Kinu yourself as a Scholar or Noble Scion, and bypassing the brief gauntlet to reach the logging camp in Garret's rescue quest as a hunter.

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
If you're a Noble Scion or a Scholar some dialogue with Evelyn is different. Also if you're a hunter or outdoorsy type of character Brint's intro is, too. Haven't had much opportunity to cram other stuff in.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I just want the Soldier to fight zombies and someone like Cait to show concern, and the Soldier to shout back "I've fought wars, you know!"

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Dead Rising? That's a deep dive.

Gutts

Sep 19, 2016
From what I remember your character also has a different reaction to Vaush’s stories if you’re a soldier or barbarian

nottelling

Sep 30, 2018
Noble Scion is the youngest of their family. At best, they were the spare to the spare to the heir. They weren't going to inherit any title or position. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the family forgot the Champion existed half the time.

"Hello Mother! I have news! I got married!"
"That's nice. Who are you again?"

Noble families are notorious for being meticulous about who marries who and what member of the family does what. A Count's fifth son would still have his marriage arranged with a Baron's third daughter, if he were not just sent to the clergy. If a Noble's youngest son married into an influential family, especially without permission, there would be a lot of confusion/excitement/interest from his parents.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Dude, it was a joke, take it as one.

Also, your post forgets the other side of the coin - marrying off daughters. "Well, the third daughter will marry the Marquis of the Fetidlands. So we shall have to give him a dowry of 150 sheep, three hundred peasants and one rather fetching horse" "And what about the fourth daughter and the Earl of Death Plains?" "Hmmm, well according to our ledger, all we have left are eight sheaf of grain, that cow with the wonky eye and the three legged dog. And to be honest, I want to leave Tripod for our youngest's dowry" . I mean, marrying off your daughters was an expensive prospect.

Not to mention that the Belharan nobility isn't what it used to be. Even 250 years after the Godswar, the Baroness of Hawkethorne (and bear in mind, she still has enough of a title to be beholden to a 400 year old treaty), but she lives in an empty castle with a golem and dullahan. While the Frost Marches are the furthest point of the old Belhar map, it can still be indicative of the rest of the former empire. It might be a case that the Champion's family simply can't afford to purchase appointments for all their offspring. In all likelihood, their noble title is an artefact of a bygone age.

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
For these KiTsUnE it doesn't matter if you are a nobleman or even a king you are still a fucking BaRbArIaN, your family is full of BaStArD BaRbArIaNs, your dogs are BaRbArIaNs even the cow your family drank milk is a filthy BaRbArIaN!

Fucking bastards they are if you leeme say... Don't join them.

Reactions: Zeus101

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Altogether, my own character's pretty glad not to be nobility.

I'd probably assume a scion had already given up all legal claims to whatever inheritance they might have had, and with it, any obligations to work to the family's advantage. They're out to seek their own fortune, instead of trying to maintain pride of place because their distant ancestor managed to be impressive.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I notice that seems to be an issue with Kiyoko in general because same thing happened after spending a night at her house.

s_phoenix

Feb 21, 2020
How do you even get the marriage to happen? I freed her, have many kids, and even have had her in my party for a while, but still haven't gotten any marriage bit

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Be prepared to lose a week. The wedding's a well-executed rush job, but takes up all your time as a result.

s_phoenix

Feb 21, 2020
Be prepared to lose a week. The wedding's a well-executed rush job, but takes up all your time as a result.

I've done all content up to correct except for Brint armor, because I like my hunky hung minotaur. So loosing a week is just a number a this point