Kitsune Build?

Merwyn

Jul 8, 2020
I'm interested in playing a Kitsune build with Kiyoko as a companion.

By Kitsune build I mean using some of the abilities that becomes available to you as a Kitsune (which I am told you must acquire)

What class, third companion, and or skill combinations have you tried out?

I'm a bit obsessive over not messing up a "build", not min-maxing power wise, but making sure I pre-plan everything to properly fit a theme while being at least viable.

So any thoughts on what worked, what's important would be greatly appreciated, before I get too deep in to warrant changing, and also to give me some inspiration.

Thanks!

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Like I mentioned in your other topic, there are a lot of kitsune-related Powers to play with as a result of the transformation and a few more that you can learn regardless of TFing via the Tome items. If you want to go 'All Kitsune' you can almost build a complete set for a fighter or mage setup, though you'll need to fill in a gap or two with non-kitsune abilities just because there aren't that many themed powers available to the player. In addition to the other Powers I'd mentioned in the other topic, there's also Power Wave which can be handy for a number of different builds. You'll need to learn it via Mirror Magic, the Kitsune Spellblade being the safer (and repeatable) option versus trying to learn it from Nakano in his fight.

Support and Resolve-damage builds need more help from non-Kitsune powers because most of the ones that exist aren't available to the Champion. If you want a kitsune-themed Ultimate you'll need to obtain a Fox Jewel to unlock Kitsunetsuki and it will take up your Offhand slot, so no shields, dual-wielding or two-handed weapons. Not that you'll need any of those things since it's a really nice item on its own and even better as a kitsune because that Ultimate can really ruin someone's day.

Speaking of gear, there's so much Japanese- I mean Old Country equipment available that you can really trick out your Champion if you want to go all-in on the theme. With Kiyoko freed there's basically no reason not to equip the Senninbari that you get from her and Kinu. Everything else you can work out based on what sort of role you want your Champion to play.

I've only played around with the kitsune TF a bit right now so I don't have any specific builds or party setups to share. I plan to do a specific Champion file centered around the idea but it's just getting started and I'm not sure how I'm going to build them (I tend to make my Champions around a roleplaying rather than gameplay hook and then develop them from there) but given the variety of kitsune-themed Powers and equipment and the versatility of Kiyoko, it's pretty hard to imagine a setup that wouldn't be viable; just pick your third character to fill in whatever role the first two members aren't filling.

Last edited:

Merwyn

Jul 8, 2020
Wait...Mirror Stance lets you PERMENTENTLY learn an ability? Or is there a limitation? I thought it was just for the fight when I was reading off the wiki.

Also for Kitsunetsuki it said it was a Recharge 11 ability on the wiki from the offhand item, does it replace a recharge slot? Have it's own slot? Or replace an ultimate slot?

And thank you once again, coming in for the save.

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
I'm interested in playing a Kitsune build with Kiyoko as a companion.

By Kitsune build I mean using some of the abilities that becomes available to you as a Kitsune (which I am told you must acquire)

What class, third companion, and or skill combinations have you tried out?

Thanks!

At the moment Kitsune skills are a bit limited but if you want to have Kiyoko as a partner I personally recommend ...

First build (thief) Kitsune ninja

A Kiyoko with her Kitsune-Bi outfit that specializes in altering status changes towards the enemy and a PC Thief for her Twist The Knife ability (plus bonus damage by enemies to negative status effect) and as a third companion Atugia so Kiyoko doesn't call so much attention from the enemy

equipment

Kunai, or Sharp Sickle, or Bow, you choose
Ninja costume (In the near future)

Abilities
Thief / Bow depends on your taste keep in mind that some weapons like Kunai or javelins can be used with rank abilities

Second Build (Mage) Kitsune

PC With high Presence and Grease ability and a Kiyoco with Onmyodo outfit to use Firewall and Will-o-Wisp again as third Autogia companion or better a healer because this Kiyoko is going to be a firecracker for the enemy

Equipment:
At the moment I wear witch clothes and some stuff that Kohaku sells you
Helm of heroes: Increase your leadership more but maybe it will not be well aesthetic with the role you want

Again Grease to combine with Kiyoko and some summons to take better advantage of your Presence
Second Build (Mage) Kitsune

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I dunno about the wiki but ingame it's an Ultimate ability so it takes that slot. My guess is that its wiki entry was written before it became usable by the player and reflects how it works for Komari.

And yes, powers obtained via Mirror Stance are permanently learned. :D

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
*Komari's version is recharge 11 so she can use it multiple times in her encounter. The version that the player can get access to can't be resisted and is an ultimate.

Of note is that Kiyoko shares Berwyn's innate -20% penetrating and crushing damage weakness, but also has +25% fire, holy and blight resistances. Her basic attack is the only one in the game so far to run off spellpower instead of attack power.

Last edited: