Kill Riya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
At the risk of being a smartass in my comment, All I can say to this is OH BOY HERE WE GO.
I saw threads like these coming a mile away as soon as she got in... I hate bigots like her as well, not even gonna sugarcoat that, but nobody can do anything about her for a long while, I know this for a fact.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
Well this was quick. Intriguing, but highly disturbing request at the same time.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Que Dr. Badger shitstorm. There are many things i could say about this, but none of them are polite and all of them are echoed by the others here.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You gonna write it? Regardless of the character or content in question, the Ideas subforum is for things that you intend to write yourself, not things that you want other people to write.

If you decide you'd rather commission it than write it, then that of course raises the question of who you want to hire. I don't like Riya or her author, so my writing an expansion would be blatant petty vindictiveness whether I was paid to do so or not. You would have to get someone neutral on the topic, which I think you'll find to be quite difficult.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Far as I can tell for people who get their biggest baddest boners from people who'll spit on them and call them scum and specifically to irritate the sorts who demand that a character be flayed alive and fucked into a puddle of oozing bimbo slime for the severe crime of being mean to the PC or offending their sensibilities in some way or, worst of all, daring to imply their special snowflake is anything but the most attractive and baddest thing in the room at all times.

Stuff like this is at least interesting (as opposed to shopkeep waifu 67 with a sad backstory who's just oh-so-eager to please from the minute they see the PC).

Zavos

May 7, 2016
I don't suppose a short xpac where Steele can use his patented Steele influence to kick Riya upstairs (thus removing her from the game) would be possible?

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
The current content for that is Steele Jr. trying to use daddy's influence to get her fired and finding out she's got connections so the peacekeepers just have to put up with her and so does Steele. Intended or not it's kind of an amusing kick in the spoiled rich kid (and those who want the game to 100% cater to their power fantasy) pride.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You gonna write it? Regardless of the character or content in question, the Ideas subforum is for things that you intend to write yourself, not things that you want other people to write.

If you decide you'd rather commission it than write it, then that of course raises the question of who you want to hire. I don't like Riya or her author, so my writing an expansion would be blatant petty vindictiveness whether I was paid to do so or not. You would have to get someone neutral on the topic, which I think you'll find to be quite difficult.
You forgot to mention that it won't be actually added to the game.

I don't suppose a short xpac where Steele can use his patented Steele influence to kick Riya upstairs (thus removing her from the game) would be possible?
It was announced by the author, but my bet that they got what they want and would disappear to make this character stuck in the void, forever. Though this option IMO is not any good, since this character should not be kicked upstairs. Well, unless she would be "accidentally" assigned to some "nice" place, like Thraggen homeworld.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Franks set out to write another Kelt, so this exact thread appearing, whilst depressing, shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

These are the things Riya needs, as envisaged by someone who's completely ambivalent about her:

* An opportunity to get her demoted or simply moved away. Ideally this should come as a result of the PC's growing influence, to show the effort they've put into making friends and contacts around the TiTS universe has a real, satisfying consequences. Like getting that mall cop who was briefly rude to you at the start of the game transferred to an asteroid mining facility.

* More sex scenes. Given how niche she is - abusive shemale only interested in girls - a single scene simply isn't good enough. Also, she specifies ladies and then does you up the butt? Hmm.

* Developing her racist attitude, and offering a chance to redeem her a bit. Right now her racism is cartoonish, it badly wants some personal incident or history to underpin it even if there's no interest in then challenging it. I like the idea of a non-human challenging her to whatever (wrestling? Land of Battlemaking or whatever it is she likes?), beating her at it and thereby earning some grudging admiration. It also would be good if she was able to make some distinction between modded humans and actual aliens.

I think these are what should be pursued before bimbofying or whatever starts getting thrown at the wall.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Come on guys, he clearly made both an account and this thread to piss someone off.

Anyway, Ausar male top scene when?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
she specifies ladies and then does you up the butt? Hmm.
Is calling people down for bringing dickgirl stereotypes considered as kinkshaming? If so, I'll mumble "it's not even femdom, it's not even femdom...", shake my head and hope people enjoy said stereotypes.

Either way, I agree with your ideas. If only my female Champions could have bested Kelt at archering...

JohanLitvisk

Aug 28, 2015
Not even a day into being added to the game and people already have their murder boners at full mast. If you get pissed off at something you can easily avoid because she called your chimeric abomination of Steele jr. a few bad names, you probably need to step away from the game for a bit. In regards to the actual suggestion of thread, that's not happening, unless you wanna end up in space jail so you get buttfucked in the ass. Of course, you could always write it yourself, but it would be full of so much petty vindictiveness that it'd be comically depressing. The last thing the needs to happen if for people to throw another fit like they did with Steph Irosn to the point in which we have "Remove Riya from the game" threads every other day. Just calm down and, I don't know, not interact with Riya at all? It's pretty easy...

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
The last thing the needs to happen if for people to throw another fit like they did with Steph Irosn to the point in which we have "Remove Riya from the game" threads every other day. Just calm down and, I don't know, not interact with Riya at all? It's pretty easy...

When you consider that strategy ended up working, if people want to see her removed, that's exactly what they should do.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
various thoughtful stuff

Honestly I think the largest problem with Riya is how much of her content is devoted to her plot armor versus how much is devoted to abusive femdom sex.

The reason people think it's cute when you do it, to use your own phrasing, isn't because Sera is any less of an asshole than Riya. Nor is it because she's any more vulnerable: the long-touted role reversal expansion aside, at present and for the foreseeable future you can't do anything to Sera that isn't on her terms. It's because you don't rub it in everyone's face that Sera's on top of the player's interactions with her. She simply is, because she's a domineering personality and anyone who interacts with her beyond being a shopkeeper is obviously interested in having their character degraded.

In contrast, most of Riya's dialogue and events are about establishing that even if you wanted to do something to her, you couldn't, in a manner that's geared towards being spiteful towards the player for daring to engage in the options that they wouldn't even have if they hadn't been written. And then after all that, she only has one sex scene to show for it.

Taking out all of the punching and reporting options would immediately improve the character. They don't add anything for people who want what she's there to offer, they exist purely as trap options to piss off people who don't. Do that, add two more sex scenes and she's fine.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Jump on hypertrain.

As expected...is it thread for all that wanted vent frustration for sake of just not likeing this npc? I mean some like Couch got good enough reasons to just not like Riya but more than merely posts here is from people that all ther can write is: I hate her cuz my PC is best even thing in TiTSverse so I want put her for not bowing to my PC awesomess.

Sh'r not the most cute/submusive/herm chara in game that's the fact. And does PC need to talk to her to finish current main quest or heck any other quest ingame? Probably not so those who wnet to check here done it going out of their normal way (I blame syndrom of checking any new "shiny toy" fen and rest of dev team let in into the game). So...can I no wthen start thread about kill X npc cuz I find it offensive to my tastes?

Remember people forum is just small fraction of people playing game so in the end all opinions here are just small fractin of opinions of playerbase. But I welcome this thread as attempt to bypass Fen warning from the other thread ^^

Better nerf Riya ^^
Also...when scene that PC out of spite and been hopeless weak to do anything about her position in game word making her herm and then teach how to take it like a champ? Followed by birthing lil cute abdominat...errr PC child(s) :smuggo:

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
The traps -are- p. funny for the blatant frustration in them, though, and it would seem that those came to life specifically because, even as the content was being written, the attitude that the player should be able to ruin the life of everyone who's mean to them should be in there by default and her author responded in a hilariously paggro sort of way. The lack of sex scenes in a legit issue (there's potential for things like rough friskings and anal cavity searches for players she's not into and things of that nature) but honestly I don't see anything wrong with the trap options.

From the player's perspective they're trying to get a haughty mall cop taken down a peg but from hers Steele Jr. is the rich little shit in a cop movie who demands to know the badge number of the loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules after they scuff their shoes during some rough enforcement. The player getting brought down a peg instead, thinking that they can use daddy's name to get whatever they want, plays into the tone of the content and sets the mood for the sex. Part of the fetish for her is the degradation so being frustrated and/or humiliated when Steele tries to get her fired or attack her is not-strictly-sexual but erotic in a scene setting sort of sense to make the player feel helpless.

I don't see any particular need to "develop" or "redeem" the racism (or specism, I guess), either. Honestly it's kind of lame to have every unkosher attitude be linked to some traumatic event or for the character to -need- to come around to "acceptable" sensibilities in either a small or large way. There are lots of racist cops who go on power trips. Few of them have a satisfying "it all goes back to this" explanation for it. It's not strange that someone like that also exists in the future. And in this case it's really not like Kelt because she's not linked to a desirable skill or anything. If you keep coming back, even if it's hoping to finally score a victory, then it must be because on some level you want in on the sort of frustration and degradation that's written into her. She's entirely self-contained.

Aligator

Sep 10, 2015

I... respectfully disagree.

Let me give my two cents on this, and please, just take then for what it's worth.

The problem of Riya isn't that she simply "brings player down a peg". The problem is that she actively does something bad, gloats over it, provoke the player and then goes around while you can't do anything about her.

And that is, simply said, very fucking annoying.

You can say "well, you can just avoid her", but things aren't that simple. She is someone who is doing something bad. She is someone who's being a dick to people. Naturally, this makes her infuriating, and add the fact that she's racist - something which a lot of real people suffer and that can easily rile you up - and you get that players won't simply be satisfied by ignoring her or pretending she doesn't exist.

In other words: from the moment you know Riya's in the game and the kind of person she is, the first thing that a bunch of players want is to bring her down a peg. And the fact that there's options that bait you into thinking you can do that when in reality you can't (like Couch pointed out) just make her that much more infuriating.

Also, consider something: this isn't a case of "rich little shit get's taken down a peg". Even if your Steele is a asshole in everything else, he or she did absolutely nothing this time. Steele didn't provoke her in any way, nor did them do anything to deserve what Riya does. In fact, Steele was the provoked one. So the situation isn't one where you are being taken off your high horse, but one where you are suffering abuse for someone else with no other option than to take it.

And mind you, despite all the shit Dr. Badger got (and still gets), she did much less than that.

Does that mean Riya shouldn't exist? No. That you should have the option to kill her? Also no. She can catter for a lot of people, I'm sure. But there needs to be someway to punish her. Not simply get her out of sight - this would fall into the same "ignore" thing, and people would still be angry - but someway to actually punish her for what she does. Humiliate her in some way, make her lose her job, beat her up, I don't know. I just know that until you can actually decently punish her, people will keep being mad, and considering that this is a character that goes out of it's way to provoke and offend people, I don't think you can say they're wrong for hating her.

And in many ways, I think the fact that the author was very insistent in that there would be no way to punish Riya was what made her so infuriating to people.

Please, do excuse any mistakes in grammar. English is not my first language. Thank you for the attention.

Also, just a addendun: her excuse is really flimsy. Being a ex-special ops and knowing the right people can protect you from most people, meaning a random visitor or something like that probably couldn't do anything against her. But then to say that this means she can publicly abuse one of the potential successors of one of the major organizations in the galaxy without repercurssion, seems... unlikely, for lack of a better term.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Steele Jr. gets taken down a peg not at the beginning but when they decide that, after a cop is mean to them, well, their superior is going to hear about this. That's when they slip into spoiled brat mode thinking that they're entitled to get justice for any little slight just because their daddy owned a mining company or that they should be able to punish someone for having an attitude they don't agree with for the same reason. Specifically frustrating that attitude and sense of entitlement is written into the content and following it through sets up a sort of scenario where Steele Jr. eventually finds they sort of liked being put in their place and go back to her for more. Even if they can't or don't see the sex scene that sense of frustration can be erotic in the same sort of way that orgasm denial is: being denied satisfaction is part of the kink.

And even if it just frustrates people who want to feel superior to her and rub her nose in it because she's a mean wacist who dared to question how amazing their PC is the content's still kind of worthwhile for how funny it is for players like that to so harshly get the message that they can't just "fix" anything they don't like. After all the basis of the annoyance is "ugh, this one time out of a hundred the narrative didn't bend over backwards to make me feel special or allow me to get my way" - and from the writer's perspective that expectation for coddling can be just as annoying.

Aligator

Sep 10, 2015
Steele Jr. gets taken down a peg not at the beginning but when they decide that, after a cop is mean to them, well, their superior is going to hear about this. That's when they slip into spoiled brat mode thinking that they're entitled to get justice for any little slight just because their daddy owned a mining company or that they should be able to punish someone for having an attitude they don't agree with for the same reason¹. Specifically frustrating that attitude and sense of entitlement is written into the content and following it through sets up a sort of scenario where Steele Jr. eventually finds they sort of liked being put in their place and go back to her for more. Even if they can't or don't see the sex scene that sense of frustration can be erotic in the same sort of way that orgasm denial is: being denied satisfaction is part of the kink.

And even if it just frustrates people who want to feel superior to her and rub her nose in it because she's a mean wacist who dared to question how amazing their PC is the content's still kind of worthwhile for how funny it is for players like that to so harshly get the message that they can't just "fix" anything they don't like. After all the basis of the annoyance is "ugh, this one time out of a hundred the narrative didn't bend over backwards to make me feel special or allow me to get my way" - and from the writer's perspective that expectation for coddling can be just as annoying.²

1: Hm, sorry, but I can't really agree with that. I mean, why would you be spoiled for reporting an abusive cop to their superiors? It's not like that is simply an attitude that they don't agree with: racism is a outright crime and something cops should, in theory, never display. Even if Steele was a common person, without all of his connections, it would be within his right's to report a cop for doing that. It just seems... natural, really.

2: The problem is that she isn't someone who questions how amazing you are (mind you, I would personally enjoy seeing a NPC that's like "okay, your daddy was a big shot. But who are you supposed to be? What have you accomplished?"), but someone who treats the player badly in a uncalled manner for some pretty shallow reasons. Also, the big problem in my POV is that the narrative seems to do exactly the opposite of what you mentioned: it seems to bend over backwards to make sure that the player can't get his way - in other words, that you can't do anything about her.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
And in this case it's really not like Kelt because she's not linked to a desirable skill or anything.

You touch on a point here that I'd started thinking about after my prior post. I think the big mistake with Kelt was giving him a skill for players to learn.

Players have multiple things that they want out of a game like CoC or TiTS, and not all of them are sex-related. One major thing that many players want in any game that they play is to be good at the game. They want all the stats, they want all the perks, they want to feel powerful. People would jump through Raphael's hoops for his spellblade even with no interest in the character because it was a good weapon and therefore desirable. Similarly, people felt compelled to interact with Kelt for his bow skill. They felt compelled to do this even though the bow is useless, because collecting things was one of the things they were playing for.

Herein lies the problem. Kelt degrading the Champion during his training sessions is supposed to be desirable to the player, not irritating. The denigration is part of the sexual experience that Kelt offers, and his personality is openly abrasive enough that someone wouldn't do more than one session unless they were into it. However, since suffering that humiliation offers a desirable skill as a reward, players would go deep into Kelt's content who didn't actually want that content, they wanted the reward. This set of clashing player desires is a large part of what bred the resentment of the character.

In this sense, Riya's lack of a reward makes her better-designed than Kelt. Riya has a different problem, which is the decision to actively antagonize the player. It's not a problem that she's a jerk. Lots of characters are jerks, or have jerk-like behavior that Steele can do nothing about, and nobody complains. The problem is that the player is lured into thinking they can do something, and then they get insulted for taking the offered hand. Absent prior knowledge, a new player would be perfectly justified in thinking that there's some new content or alternate storyline to be found in picking a non-submissive option, because most writers don't offer an option just to say "that doesn't work and fuck you for trying". If we don't want you to do something, we just don't give you the option to do it. It's not self-defense against special snowflake PCs who always have to be dom, it's deliberately antagonizing the player.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
1: Hm, sorry, but I can't really agree with that. I mean, why would you be spoiled for reporting an abusive cop to their superiors? It's not like that is simply an attitude that they don't agree with: racism is a outright crime and something cops should, in theory, never display. Even if Steele was a common person, without all of his connections, it would be within his right's to report a cop for doing that. It just seems... natural, really.

2: The problem is that she isn't someone who questions how amazing you are (mind you, I would personally enjoy seeing a NPC that's like "okay, your daddy was a big shot. But who are you supposed to be? What have you accomplished?"), but someone who treats the player badly in a uncalled manner for some pretty shallow reasons. Also, the big problem in my POV is that the narrative seems to do exactly the opposite of what you mentioned: it seems to bend over backwards to make sure that the player can't get his way - in other words, that you can't do anything about her.
That's what I mean. Her content bending the opposite way, making the reader think they can do the usual and get their whims and revenge boner catered to only to be frustrated at every turn because the person they're trying to ruin is Made or whatevs is part of how its eroticism works (and for those who aren't into it the tease and denial is still sort of funny just as it is whenever Savin does it). I'd definitely also like to see some stuff that isn't quite as extreme as this that's more toward that "you're like 10 and expect me to be impressed because of who your daddy is?" type of flavor; this is more meta and aimed at the players who feel like everything should be a part of their power fantasy/everyone who acts superior or offends them should be able to be fucked into a quivering pile of bimbo slime and players who find the abuse and frustration to be hot.

I don't see any problem with having some content like this to contrast the 857 submissive shopkeepers who fall instantly in love with Steele Jr. and are immediately willing to bend over backward (or forward) for them. Having some characters who're just bad people adds some depth to the setting, too.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I don't see any problem with having some content like this to contrast the 857 submissive shopkeepers who fall instantly in love with Steele Jr. and are immediately willing to bend over backward (or forward) for them. Having some characters who're just bad people adds some depth to the setting, too.
You are not reading Couch posts, are you?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Actually, she is not a real problem here. What is wrong with her is already said. But the true problem is with the development priorities.

Let's see here. What Fenoxo does after returning to development? He reviews it, reads the thread, sees all the controversy, and IMMEDIATELY implements it in the game. Others submissions? They can wait months and years. This? Got implemented ASAP. Reason? Because it is insulting. Yep. Fenoxo has deliberately insulted his audience and threatened them with bans if they are not happy with it.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Etis, I don't know if you think you're being helpful but you're really, truly not.

Fen jumped straight on the anal heat inducer too. Why? Probably because they were the highest-up threads in Event Submissions when he looked in there. Accusing him of implementing Riya as a conscious attempt to irritate anyone is uncalled for.

Do I wish he'd read through the controversy and decided to wait on this one instead of fast-tracking it? Absolutely. I think it was a mistake. But your accusations do nothing to help the situation. Worse, they put me, and everyone else who finds themselves on your side of any argument, in a worse position with the ridiculously caustic way in which you argue it. Stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.