Joker

A Random Guy

Sep 13, 2015
Ever since The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger’s take on the Joker has been practically unbeatable. Jared Leto threw his hat into the ring and I’m sure he would’ve been great, but even the best of actors can’t make shit scripts and screenplay into gold. Ever since Suicide Squad, I had lost nearly all hope for something even close to Ledger’s Joker. But earlier this morning, Warner Bros. showed us we might be getting something at least in the ballpark. Joaquin Phoenix has this way of really getting into a role and doesn’t shy away from over exaggeration of his body like in other films such as The Master and Walk the Line. Welp, that’s my two cents, what do you folks think?

Trailer:

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Eh, the movie could be a fuck-up all by itself, without his acting being a cause, as you said. But personally, I don't want a Joker origin story.

Suicide Squad was garbage though.

Reactions: ShySquare

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
The thing about the Joker, and he did say it best was: "If I'm going to have a past, I'd prefer it to be multiple choice." And that's paraphrasing the actual quote.

The Joker is a character that works best as almost as a force of nature. You don't need to know what conditions came together to make a storm, all you need to know is to get the hell out of the way. Its best when you don't know too much about a character like that, to leave some of the mystery there, because it makes the character that little bit unknowable, a little bit scary. I know the Joker is broken, that's blatantly apparent, what I don't need to know is what was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Reactions: A Random Guy

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
I am really, really sick of superhero movies. Marvel is the McDonalds of movies, while Warner Bros is Burger King. Like, they are rarely bad in my opinion, but they are also limited. A Mcdonald Burger isn't the best, but its what people expect. If they add a new burger, they do not try to make the best possible, they care about a burger that is provitable, and more importantly, fits the brand. Similarly, a Marvel Movie is here to support the franchise, not the other way around. And I don't like that.

Nowadays I go with the Guantanamo Bay approach to movies: I assume they are shite until proven otherwise. And of course, I watch out for red flags.

Flag Nr 1: Warner Bros. So far the best I've seen from them is Aquaman, which is basically hundreds of trailers stitched together until a 'Superhero runtime' is achieved. I am 100% sure the movie had a quota of minimum fight scenes from the top managers. Because a surface level understanding of story telling is all business people have. Disney is not less cynical, but they seem to have more competent people in charge.

2. Origin story of a character that SHOULD NOT HAVE ONE: The great tagline of the Batman game, 'Your enemies shall define you'. Joker and batman are interesting because of their interplay. Joker without Batman is kinda pointless.

3. Its a popular character: Movie studios have found a way to exploit our love of older, better work. The more I love the original work, the more sceptical I become (Just like the new Lion King Movie, which suspectis purely made because nostalgia sells [and I suspect Disney of today does not have the creative staff it used to]).

4. Its a trailer: Today a trailer does not tell you anything about a movie. The movie may not even contain the scenes of the trailer.

Last edited: