Is the js version going to be ready/released for january?

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Since the great Flash apocalypse is happening in a few days, I'm wondering if the javascript version will be playable by january, or will there be a period of time where you can't play it in the browser because flash is gone and the js isn't ready?

Also, as a bonus question; will the JS version have images in it, or will it be a straight port of the flash version?

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Since the great Flash apocalypse is happening in a few days, I'm wondering if the javascript version will be playable by january, or will there be a period of time where you can't play it in the browser because flash is gone and the js isn't ready?

Also, as a bonus question; will the JS version have images in it, or will it be a straight port of the flash version?
Download a stand-alone flash player. People have been advocating that for a long while now ever since browsers have been having trouble. That'll hold you over until the JS port is ready.

TheShepard256

They're still architecting the JS build and haven't yet put most of the systems in place, so I think the latter is more likely.

Source: I asked Fen if I could become a volunteer coder, and he basically told me to ask him again once all of that was done. That was three days ago, and the porting process started way longer ago than that, so I'm guessing it's still current.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
They're still architecting the JS build and haven't yet put most of the systems in place, so I think the latter is more likely.

Source: I asked Fen if I could become a volunteer coder, and he basically told me to ask him again once all of that was done. That was three days ago, and the porting process started way longer ago than that, so I'm guessing it's still current.

Ah, well that's disappointing. Oh well, I can wait. I don't particularly want to download a flash client, so... \*shrugs\*

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
You could just download the game instead of playing in browser.

Unless that wont work either.... would the downloaded version still work after flash gets old yellered? Seriously asking here.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018

Unless that wont work either.... would the downloaded version still work after flash gets old yellered? Seriously asking here.
Only if you have a standalone Flash player.

Baggrin

May 16, 2019

Unless that wont work either....

It seems that the "Download ZIP Install" option includes a player, so it work even without a Standalone Flash Player. I also heard something about the Ruffle project for continuing to run Flash in the browser.

Reactions: XBoxMaster131

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I'm wondering if the javascript version will be playable by january

Technically it's "playable" right now; my understanding is that most of Tavros and the original tutorial has been converted over (though all I have access to is up to the Celise fight lol), and we're almost done with the new tutorial which I am assuming will be the benchmark for the JS port launching.

upload_2021-1-1_14-49-18.png

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
It seems that the "Download ZIP Install" option includes a player, so it work even without a Standalone Flash Player. I also heard something about the Ruffle project for continuing to run Flash in the browser.
Whew! Thanks! Was worried for a bit there!

Technically it's "playable" right now; my understanding is that most of Tavros and the original tutorial has been converted over (though all I have access to is up to the Celise fight lol), and we're almost done with the new tutorial which I am assuming will be the benchmark for the JS port launching.

View attachment 15447

Woah, wait, hold up... is that all you have done on the port? Damn, this is gonna take a while, huh? I was wondering why yall were even bothering to keep updating the game while working on the port, cuz itd be like pouring gas on a fire youre trying to put out, but now i see that wouldnt fly cuz of just how long updates would be shit down for.

Not knocking yall or anything, of course. I sure youre doing the best you can. Though while were on the subject, would you mind hazarding a guess on an eta for when the port will be ready for the masses? If its not too much trouble, i mean.

Reactions: TItsFan21211

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Though while were on the subject, would you mind hazarding a guess on an eta for when the port will be ready for the masses?

Not my department, sorry. I think it's going to launch with just the new tutorial and maybe Mhen'ga though, not the whole game at once.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
The grunt work was likely making the structure, implementing the parsers and all that. Maybe when it's done we can all pester the coders about it.

And then lose interest when they come back with a long and detailed explanation.

Reactions: Paradox01

Dorkulon

Sep 10, 2015
FWIW: archive.org has old flash player installers, and if you edit C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg to have EOLUninstallDisable =1 it'll disable the uninstall flash nagging; might want to keep one of the older browsers (eg a firefox fork like pale moon or waterfox) around as well for the full "play in browser" experience

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
FWIW: archive.org has old flash player installers, and if you edit C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg to have EOLUninstallDisable =1 it'll disable the uninstall flash nagging; might want to keep one of the older browsers (eg a firefox fork like pale moon or waterfox) around as well for the full "play in browser" experience
Ya lost me at FWIW, lol.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Not my department, sorry. I think it's going to launch with just the new tutorial and maybe Mhen'ga though, not the whole game at once.
Ah, ok then. Thanks.

Wait, if its just gonna launch like that... then how are they gonna update it moving forward? Are they just gonna do a mad dash to keep up with updates on the flash version? Or was my earlier assumption correct and theyll just stop updating the flash version for a time and focus purely on the port?

I hope the team has some kinda third option, cuz neither of the others really sound good. One shafts the coders, the other shafts the players.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
No idea actually. I would assume we're going to drop the Flash version entirely and just spend a couple months revamping old areas. Porting content doesn't take that long, it's just tedious. It's also a chance to fix a lot balance/design issues and cut out lots of dead ends etc. that have piled up over the years. Something I hope the codeboys take to heart!

TItsFan21211

Jun 25, 2020
Damn. I was hoping for new Dhaal content/Roo expansion pack and stuff, but it seems like it'll take time for TITs to become even playable again...hope at least we get new ship mechanisms while the do the port...

Also, @Savin, good luck on Coc2! :)

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
IMO, TiTS-in-javascript should have its own name separate from the current project, then; in the interim, I will call it "Untitled Text Game".
Good luck with that.

agreenfish

Jun 24, 2019
I hope we get some new or revamped content (that doesn't have to be text content -- I'm thinking mechanics.) As far as I know, saves won't transfer over (although that won't stop me from fucking with the javascript console and trying anyway), so we'll all be replaying from the beginning -- it would be nice to at least have something different, the second time around.

I'd think it would make sense, though -- there's a lot of legacy stuff in TiTs, like the role/class system, that wasn't fully fleshed out -- this would be a great time to straighten out progression since everyone is restarting anyway.

Rocketman

Jul 16, 2017
I hope we get some new or revamped content (that doesn't have to be text content -- I'm thinking mechanics.) As far as I know, saves won't transfer over (although that won't stop me from fucking with the javascript console and trying anyway), so we'll all be replaying from the beginning -- it would be nice to at least have something different, the second time around.

I'd think it would make sense, though -- there's a lot of legacy stuff in TiTs, like the role/class system, that wasn't fully fleshed out -- this would be a great time to straighten out progression since everyone is restarting anyway.

What legacy stuff are you referring to? What about the role/class system wasn't fully fleshed out or needs changing?

agreenfish

Jun 24, 2019
What legacy stuff are you referring to? What about the role/class system wasn't fully fleshed out or needs changing?
I believe they wanted to add a psionics class that never made it into the game -- I remember reading about a couple other things too, but unfortunately they have since slipped my mind.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I believe they wanted to add a psionics class that never made it into the game -- I remember reading about a couple other things too, but unfortunately they have since slipped my mind.
Last I heard, they still intend to. It's possible to get a Broken Psi-Amp, after all.

I don't know how much of the class is already worked out, if any. There was also some mention of maybe getting Psionic powers after character creation. In any case, it's definitely not getting added until after the port. Actually, if it turns out we're making new characters anyway, this would be the perfect time to add a new class. (I would advise against getting your hopes up, though).

Class perks could probably use a balance pass or two, but that should probably wait until level 20 is in, at least.

The current Ship system is (or was intended to be) a placeholder. If they still intend to implement the full system, that's also definitely going to have to wait.

Last edited:

agreenfish

Jun 24, 2019
Last I heard, they still intend to. It's possible to get a Broken Psi-Amp, after all.

I don't know how much of the class is already worked out, if any. There was also some mention of maybe getting Psionic powers after character creation. In any case, it's definitely not getting added until after the port. Actually, if it turns out we're making new characters anyway, this would be the perfect time to add a new class. (I would advise against getting your hopes up, though).

Class perks could probably use a balance pass or two, but that should probably wait until level 20 is in, at least.

The current Ship system is (or was intended to be) a placeholder. If they still intend to implement the full system, that's also definitely going to have to wait.

Yeah. Ideally, even if the features might be fleshed out later, now would be the time to add the empty framework. For example, a class being added in name only, with placeholder copies of other abilities. Or maybe a shift towards CoC2's classing, which allows you to switch around (quite a nice feature). I do prefer TiTs' levelling/stat system, though: prep should be rewarded as well.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Crap. After (finally) reading all this im pretty damn concerned about the odds of saves being transferrable from the old versions into the new. especially with all the mention of revamps and reworks and stuff. Thats really got me concerned. Not to mention chances are itll be a while till I can really tell for certain if itll all be fully compatible, since ill have to wait for the port to catch up to the base game. Ill be able to test out the initial release with a fresh, day 1 save, but depending on the tweaks they make after that things may change, not to mention all the fuckery ive gotten into with my main save possible causing conflict the fresher one doesnt have. Again, the waiting, man, thats the worst part.

Regardless, Im gonna remain cautiously optimistic, but ill start prepping for the worst, just in case.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
What class perks are you thinking that might need a balance pass?
Ranged Merc has much better synergies than Melee Merc (Rapid Fire stacks with everything, Power Strike does not, Bloodthirsty becomes largely irrelevant after level 8). As much as I enjoy it, Charge Weapon is probably too powerful, but Overcharge is underwhelming. Smuggler is based around inflicting Blind or Stun, but Stun duration got nerfed.