is "the champion" supposed to be female canonically?

Run That Fade

Jul 25, 2018
I believe you'll be able to import CoC save data to CoC2 at some point, what that'll actually change i have no idea.

Run That Fade

Jul 25, 2018
"Ingnam's final Champion escaped her fate by beating back the demons' minions waiting on the other side of the portal, and set out on a one woman crusade to bring an end to the Demon menace once and for all."

Aug 12, 2018
"Ingnam's final Champion escaped her fate by beating back the demons' minions waiting on the other side of the portal, and set out on a one woman crusade to bring an end to the Demon menace once and for all."
yeah that's the specific part of the intro i'm talking about, thanks for posting it

LastGreenHorn

Aug 11, 2018
I saw that as well and thought the same thing... but CoC2 is in "Pre-Alpha"... even if that....
Everything you play and read should not been see as "canon" as it's still up in the air and can be subject of change.

One of the key things about writing, is to never stop writing and fill in with whatever as place holders until you can come back to it later and clean it up...
It's one of the leading causes to writer's block... As a writer will spend to much time fixed at one spot and can't think past it.
... Well that's what a writer once told me anyway... : l
(I mean it makes sense to me as I do the same thing when I'm video editing) ^^;;

Last edited:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
The default Champion (if you don't import a save) is female, yes. If you import a save then it'll be whatever gender you saved as.

Aug 12, 2018
The default Champion (if you don't import a save) is female, yes. If you import a save then it'll be whatever gender you saved as.
yes, coc2 refers to it as female by default, but i'm asking whether this is just random placeholderly, or if it was actually supposed to be female canonically in coc1 even though the game let you chose

i'm searching for a lore based answer, not a functional one

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
i'm searching for a lore based answer, not a functional one

There isn't one, and as far as we're concerned there isn't a "canonical" anything in CoC1. There's a default for people that didn't play/finish it, but that's entirely because there has to be something there or the game will break.

The reason the "default" Champion is referred to as female is because, when we polled players years ago, the overwhelming majority of people played as hermaphrodites. So we just went with the most commonly taken options wherever possible.

Maybe if Fen ever makes a CoC3 he'll decide on some kind of canonical champion and ending, but we don't have to or want to. :iiam:

Sineption

Dec 2, 2015
I like that way better. It sometimes feels kinda pointless when games let you choose a bunch of stuff for your playthrough only to have there be a "canon" way to play. Some games though, I want a canon story like Mass Effect for instance, really want Sheppard to be alive and probably really broken and mentally scarred, but, ya know, livin'.

Aug 12, 2018
There isn't one, and as far as we're concerned there isn't a "canonical" anything in CoC1. There's a default for people that didn't play/finish it, but that's entirely because there has to be something there or the game will break.

The reason the "default" Champion is referred to as female is because, when we polled players years ago, the overwhelming majority of people played as hermaphrodites. So we just went with the most commonly taken options wherever possible.

Maybe if Fen ever makes a CoC3 he'll decide on some kind of canonical champion and ending, but we don't have to or want to. :iiam:
well yeah, there had to be something, but it seemed curious to me that the something that was chosen to be put in the text turned out to be female, and that you guys didn't just avoid to mention the gender and leave it unspecified, since the game allowed you to play as whatever you liked

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
but it seemed curious to me that the something that was chosen to be put in the text turned out to be female, and that you guys didn't just avoid to mention the gender and leave it unspecified

Why is that strange? I could have awkwardly written around it every time the Champion ever came up, but that seems entirely unnecessary when we (will eventually) have save importing to tell us all about him or her.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I mean, it makes sense now, considering the mutability of the Champion. All that has been said is the Champion launched a one-woman campaign against the demons.

That actually leaves a lot to interpretation. The Champion could have been male and became female during their adventures, be it through choice, forced upon them or the side effect of another action. I mean, one could even say that the Champion was female at that point because it was the last time someone saw them and who knows what they could be now.

CoC2 is still a work in progress, there are far more important things to work on before the import system. So right now, its a placeholder. Nothing more, nothing less and no need to go into too much depth right now.