Is it just me, or has the tech received a massive buff?

Favorite class (Not strongest, just one you like the most)

• Tech

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Smugler

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Merc

Votes: 13 19.4%

• Total voters

lithit

Oct 22, 2015
So for a whole host of reasons, I hadn't played TITS for a long time until about 2 days ago and either my memories aren't as good as I thought they were or shields have been MASSIVELY imrpoved

Like seriously, I'm playing a tech with shield focused upgrades, and since I got the nyrean royal shield, I have not had my shield taken down once (except by uvetan lightning, but that doesn't count)

Not by Quadommes (Fucking bitches)
Not by The Frost wyvern (Who I shot to the ground and spared 4 times)
Not by the Excavator robot
And I suspect once I do that kathirit pirate girl's quest, not even by Amara what'sherface

I don't know what happend (Though I suspect it has something to do with the defense parameter on shield I don't remember being there) but I love it!

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Techs (especially shield techs) were buffed a while ago. Now that all the classes have Second Wind the only folks that complain about combat are the people that should be playing on easy mode.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Yeah Shield techs are fairly potent after a good while ago. Though you should also note that one can reach level 10 and none of the content is really meant for anything beyond 8ish iirc.

Drone techs, however, are less potent. Mostly, to my memory, because Fen thinking that they don't need buffs that others are putting forward.

lithit

Oct 22, 2015
Techs (especially shield techs) were buffed a while ago. Now that all the classes have Second Wind the only folks that complain about combat are the people that should be playing on easy mode.
Wait, techs have second wind?
How did I miss this?

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Amara is still pretty easy to beat with regular fighting. You just gotta not use something she's resistant to.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
As a Techie I can certainly confirm a few things; Shield's Defense stat makes the Shield Tech really tough, the Charge Weapon ability makes Melee Tech really strong, and the Drone Control ability makes Tam-Wolfv2.0 decent(~30 Electrical damage). The only problem I've faced is not bundling up for the Uvetan cold.

Reactions: Zavos

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
As a Techie I can certainly confirm a few things; Shield's Defense stat makes the Shield Tech really tough, the Charge Weapon ability makes Melee Tech really strong, and the Drone Control ability makes Tam-Wolfv2.0 decent(~30 Electrical damage). The only problem I've faced is not bundling up for the Uvetan cold.
thermal packs are a thing and last forever.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. Techs don't have Second Wind, but their Shield Regen abilities, so long as your Shields have sustained damage, do regenerate Energy.

thermal packs are a thing and last forever.
Yes... thank you.... I can't believe I forgot about those....

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
Drone techs, however, are less potent. Mostly, to my memory, because Fen thinking that they don't need buffs that others are putting forward.

drone techs are significantly weaker and should be stronger

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Most of the forumites share the opinion and have for done so for ages. However a lack of community support for buffing drones is not a problem.

Though I will admit that I'm a bit more in support of making drones in general the tech class' gimmick, as well as figuring out some other shit for merc and smugs.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Shields in general were made stronger. Techs get shield defense, so they benefit the most.

Last edited:

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Most of the forumites share the opinion and have for done so for ages. However a lack of community support for buffing drones is not a problem.

Though I will admit that I'm a bit more in support of making drones in general the tech class' gimmick, as well as figuring out some other shit for merc and smugs.
Is there any actual benefit to picking Attack Drone over Shield Booster when you have TamWolfv2.0? Especially with the Drone Control perk. Unless I missed something and the Attack Drone does massive damage now, I don't think it's worth it at all.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Is there any actual benefit to picking Attack Drone over Shield Booster when you have TamWolfv2.0? Especially with the Drone Control perk. Unless I missed something and the Attack Drone does massive damage now, I don't think it's worth it at all.
Attack drone is neccesary to get TamWolf 2.0 (so far), and provides a damage boost.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Attack drone is neccesary to get TamWolf 2.0 (so far), and provides a damage boost.
Are you sure? I was pretty certain I had 2.0 until you said that, but I lost my save with my last phone. But I brought up TiTSEd and the Public build on my PC, and the damage with and without Attack Drone on 2.0 is about ~30-35 with 50 Intelligence.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Without the attack drone perk, you start out with busted tamwolf. The upgrade station during karaquest will bump him up to fixed tamwolf.

Chiyose

Sep 22, 2017
Without the attack drone perk, you start out with busted tamwolf. The upgrade station during karaquest will bump him up to fixed tamwolf.
So you’re barred from 2.0 without the drone perk? That's one interesting thing I’ve missed. Right now I feel like drone tech is in an ok place, not too weak but nothing outstanding. Tamwolf begins to miss quite often at Uveto and even Myrellion and really doesn’t help much in later contents (juggs and Amara are all just me spamming true damage, haven’t tested on the quads yet), maybe a buff to accuracy and an increased chance to tamwolf’s stun proc would be pretty good.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
So you’re barred from 2.0 without the drone perk? That's one interesting thing I’ve missed. Right now I feel like drone tech is in an ok place, not too weak but nothing outstanding. Tamwolf begins to miss quite often at Uveto and even Myrellion and really doesn’t help much in later contents (juggs and Amara are all just me spamming true damage, haven’t tested on the quads yet), maybe a buff to accuracy and an increased chance to tamwolf’s stun proc would be pretty good.
From what I can tell, non drone techs will always be an upgrade behind on Tamwolf.So you're less barred from Tam 2.0 and more don't have access to the bit of content that would be your 2.0 to a drone tech's 3.0

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Still, Drone Techs give up a lot of defense for a small amount of extra damage. I'm not quite sure how to balance it either, just like Charge Weapon vs Overcharge.
(please don't nerf my Charge Weapon though...)

Reactions: ShySquare

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Are you sure? I was pretty certain I had 2.0 until you said that, but I lost my save with my last phone. But I brought up TiTSEd and the Public build on my PC, and the damage with and without Attack Drone on 2.0 is about ~30-35 with 50 Intelligence.
Looking thro code, could not find attack drone cue.
Still, Drone Techs give up a lot of defense for a small amount of extra damage. I'm not quite sure how to balance it either, just like Charge Weapon vs Overcharge.
I wrote a rebalence ages ago, cannot post on mobile. Ill edit it into this post later.
Edit: Here is what i think TiTS perk forest should be like

Last edited:

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
If the drone could synchronize with active skills (like if you were to use charged shot the drone would, too) then it'd go a long ways toward making the extra offensive options more palatable. The next step would be to give each drone a couple of its own active techs with cooldowns.

It wouldn't be a tough fix.

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016

It's primarily from the Advanced Shielding perk you get for free at lvl 9, which gives up to 12.5 additional shield defense on top whatever your emitter is giving you resulting in the vast majority of attacks doing 1-2 damage. Even taking the drone perk I had to actively try in order to loose to the Frost Wyrm because your shields reduce incoming damage so much.

From what I can tell, non drone techs will always be an upgrade behind on Tamwolf.So you're less barred from Tam 2.0 and more don't have access to the bit of content that would be your 2.0 to a drone tech's 3.0
Yeah this is true however I'm not sure how Siegwolfe, who is available for everyone, compares to the boosted Tam which might make the whole thing a moot point.

OatmealNookie

Nov 22, 2016
Just my 2c, but I would suggest that there were two high points in pet class gaming, specifically:
1. Anarchy Online Pre-SL Engineer.
2. City of Heroes Mastermind.

Designing a pet class well requires a mindset truly alien to designing any other class archetype. I can count on one hand the number of developers I've seen actually put in an effort to do it right, none have ever really pulled it off for long.
I've got decades of venom and rage about the issue, so I'll just refer to Sturgeon's Law, and leave it at that.

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
Just my 2c, but I would suggest that there were two high points in pet class gaming, specifically:
1. Anarchy Online Pre-SL Engineer.
2. City of Heroes Mastermind.

Designing a pet class well requires a mindset truly alien to designing any other class archetype. I can count on one hand the number of developers I've seen actually put in an effort to do it right, none have ever really pulled it off for long.
I've got decades of venom and rage about the issue, so I'll just refer to Sturgeon's Law, and leave it at that.

.... God I miss City of Heroes, now I'm going to be nostalgic all day.

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
I feel like Attack Drone shouldn't be nullified by using an accessory drone. I understand the intent, but I feel like it's the major reason why Attack Drone feels weak in comparison. Plus it would be cool to have both your attack drone and Tam/Sieg fighting by your side. If npcs can have multiple drones, why can't Steele?

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
.... God I miss City of Heroes, now I'm going to be nostalgic all day.

Hey, but there's still cHaMPiOnS oNlinE. Huh? You don't want sugar substitute, you want the real deal? Too bad, enjoy the knockoff (with an admittedly awesome character creator, although that could still be improved. Why can't I make a fat woman?)