Is choosing Emmy's Lava Saber worth the +5 shields

Ruri

Apr 26, 2016
specifically, if you don't plan on using it at all? I'm just curious how min/maxy I can make my Smuggler. 

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
5 shields is nothing.

The evasion is okay I guess, but the vamp blade seems far more useful imo...

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
If you feel your Smuggler missing those few points of shields then go for it, otherwise better take something with a good kick ^^

My PC's usualy got more than needed sheild points so I preffering picking some reward with good dmg than some fancy bonus ability.

Ruri

Apr 26, 2016
If you feel your Smuggler missing those few points of shields then go for it, otherwise better take something with a good kick ^^

My PC's usualy got more than needed sheild points so I preffering picking some reward with good dmg than some fancy bonus ability.

Well the whole point is I'm just using it for the secondary effects because I use mostly range weapons on this character. 

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well Smugglers not have great shields as techs so I think Trog suggestion may be a lil bit true. I mean his melee weapon of choice allow to siphon 90% damaged enemy shileds into PC shields, while yours have chance to put fire dmg dot. So both got moments to shine or been quite unuseful. Anyway both of those weapons if not used will give barely any advantages aside your giving always those few shield points even if you not keep stabbing enemies with it ^^

So it may be a lil better as long you not need to stab someone (well for now it not matter as it one of endgame weapons so there is hardly anything that will be better in terms of dmg for melee weapons).

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
Well the whole point is I'm just using it for the secondary effects because I use mostly range weapons on this character. 

Well the thing is, accuracy (and I think crit?) on your melee weapon doesn't affect your ranged weapon anymore. So apart from evasion or bonus shields, you're not going to be getting any passive benefits from your melee weapon.

However, even a ranged character will get use out of their melee weapon. When you get blinded, or hit with smoke or you're facing an enemy like a cuntsnake with a lot of ranged evasion, you're much better off using melee in those situations. And those enemies that blind/smoke you tend to be shielded human enemies, so you get the full benefit of the vamp blade there.

Afaik the lava saber dot only ticks for a few points of health, I don't think it's very powerful.

I imagine I will be keeping the vamp blade for some time after its damage becomes lackluster.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
Of course the vamp blade only has a benefit on enemies with shields, with a lot do not.

This is true, however enemies that do not have shields tend to be weak mooks who won't knock your shield out before you put them down, anyway.

About the only powerful enemy I can think of that isn't shielded, is the Queen of the Deep.

Unshielded enemies also don't have things like flashbangs, which would prevent you from using your ranged weapon effectively.

And while blinded, the vamp blade can be used to 'tank' until the blind wears off, as your melee strikes will be more likely to hit than ranged, and your hits will heal your shield.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
If PC not used all once in battle items they could be also used to tank during 'blind' effect. So it not like we only can relay on one thing. Yet more possible options never hurt so vamp blade would be another layer of safe measures for bad times ^^