How is TiTS/CoC made?

Have you experimented making text games before?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Serban

May 24, 2017
Heya all,

Really I was looking for somewhere to contact Fenoxo, as I'm totally in love with his games and have been for some time. I also make text based games, or at least, mostly play around with them. I've only got a bare bones two on the net, full of spelling errors and glitches, as an experiment, and now I'm in a state where I'm never satisfied enough to publish, and always looking for more to learn. My biggest wonder is how he gets such a beautiful UI. I'd love to do something like that, but sadly, I tend to use the rather limited Quest to make my stuff.

Does he have a guide anywhere? Or are there any really good ones he/you might recommend? By no means do I want to rip him off, but more I believe that there should be as many unique smutty text adventures clustering the web as is physically possible, and I'd love to bring some.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
It's coded in AS3 and built on the foundations of frustration.

If you're just "playing around" you're better of using RPG Maker or Ren'Py.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
It's coded in AS3 and built on the foundations of frustration.

If you're just "playing around" you're better of using RPG Maker or Ren'Py.
Ren'Py isn't really that friendly for casual designers. RM series are, but only if you stick to basic eventing.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
If you can't even handle Ren'Py you shouldn't be making games. But to be fair Ren'Py is annoying and it's pretty easy to cause stupid bugs like var - 1 instead of var -= 1.

Maybe Twine.

Last edited:

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Ren'Py isn't bad, assuming you've got a basic grasp of Python. Few would be casual designers do, though. I can't say that I've ever even looked at Twine. lol

Edit: I have now looked at Twine. I refuse to acknowledge it's existence.

Last edited:

BrokenGrace

Sep 5, 2015
This might be slightly off-topic but do you know if FoE is also made with AS3? It's design is closer to what I'm going for in my project.

Though I'm sure it's possible to do in AS3 even if it isn't. (Just trying to figure out what might be the best for me.)

Also... Twine is terrible. Well not terrible if all you're doing is text and something very simple.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
This might be slightly off-topic but do you know if FoE is also made with AS3? It's design is closer to what I'm going for in my project.

Though I'm sure it's possible to do in AS3 even if it isn't. (Just trying to figure out what might be the best for me.)

Also... Twine is terrible. Well not terrible if all you're doing is text and something very simple.
According to Alder, FOE is mainly Javascript with some HTML and CSS.

Serban

May 24, 2017
Thanks for all the responses. I'm a competent beginner, although I enjoy complex systems, like combat and a UI. I think I'll have to put the time into learning. I have RPG Maker MV, Twine, Inform and Quest (My favourite so far, but so limited and lacking) but I've never heard of AS3 or Ren'Py. I'm not so much playing around as taking a more serious crack at games after playing around for a few years. They're exactly the kind of big, complex undertaking I enjoy, I just want mine to look better. Not having proper coding experience is probably my bane, too much reliance on using things like Quest to 'jury rig' the effects I need.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Thanks for all the responses. I'm a competent beginner, although I enjoy complex systems, like combat and a UI. I think I'll have to put the time into learning. I have RPG Maker MV, Twine, Inform and Quest (My favourite so far, but so limited and lacking) but I've never heard of AS3 or Ren'Py. I'm not so much playing around as taking a more serious crack at games after playing around for a few years. They're exactly the kind of big, complex undertaking I enjoy, I just want mine to look better. Not having proper coding experience is probably my bane, too much reliance on using things like Quest to 'jury rig' the effects I need.

Ren'Py is free to download and use, it's primarily for creating visual novels. With enough knowledge of Python you can get it to do more familiar rpg styled games. If you want an idea of what it's possible to do with Ren'Py, check out a company called Winter Wolves.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
AS3 isn't an engine, it's the scripting language for Flash. CoC and TiTS are coded without a "game maker".

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Twine is nice for not so complex Choose Your own Adventures. I used to make flow charts in twine for fun.

Reactions: wallpaper