How is kineticist for melee?

Osk0

Sep 14, 2021
I have not played in a while and was pretty surprised to see the new class. Now I love playing monks in games so seeing kineticist with telekinetic warrior gets cool magic strikes while unarmed that scale with willpower is very cool. My question is does trying to build kineticist into a melee build work decently or will you still be spending most of the time using the various abilities? May try it either way for something new or I'll just go back to good ol mercenary for my bonking needs.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
The new Psionically Attuned weapon flag gives +1 damage/level in the hands of a Kineticist. Currently found only on Staffs.
Entropy Leech and Entropic Whip can cause Deep Freeze, which will cause the next 'Crushing' attack to do double damage. Staffs and Telekinetic Warrior are Crushing.
Deep Impact gives Critical Hits a chance to Stun. There's a +15 Crit Bonus Psionically Attuned Staff on Myrellion.
Concussive Augmentation grants unavoidable damage for 3 attacks.
Haste gives another attack for 5 turns.
Levitate allows Flying enemies to be hit with Melee attacks.

Reactions: Osk0

Osk0

Sep 14, 2021
The new Psionically Attuned weapon flag gives +1 damage/level in the hands of a Kineticist. Currently found only on Staffs.
Entropy Leech and Entropic Whip can cause Deep Freeze, which will cause the next 'Crushing' attack to do double damage. Staffs and Telekinetic Warrior are Crushing.
Deep Impact gives Critical Hits a chance to Stun. There's a +15 Crit Bonus Psionically Attuned Staff on Myrellion.
Concussive Augmentation grants unavoidable damage for 3 attacks.
Haste gives another attack for 5 turns.
Levitate allows Flying enemies to be hit with Melee attacks.
Reading through the class abilities on the wiki does make it look like a pretty fun thing to play. especially since levitate covers flying enemies and aoe spells can take care of swarms looks like this may end up replacing mercenary as my favorite class.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Melee Mercs can do that, too. Cleave (+Stun Chance) for groups, Lunge for Flying.

With a good Physique, you can Stun at least half the time. (Third Eye Aim doesn't substitute for Stun/Trip/Stagger Chance.) Steroidal Muscle Augment penalizes Willpower, but you still have more than any other Class.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but I suggest Sturm & Drang for a Melee Merc. Vaulting Strike is mostly redundant with Power Strike, in my opinion. If you land a Stun with your melee weapon, the 3-4 Ranged attacks will always hit. Personally, I like Custom Shock Gear (Stun. Bonus Hit Rate) + Entropy (Freeze Chance). If they survive the first salvo, they're probably Frozen, so the opening melee of the next S&D will do double. And S & D inherits Stagger from Rending Strikes.

Last edited:

Osk0

Sep 14, 2021
Melee Mercs can do that, too. Cleave (+Stun Chance) for groups, Lunge for Flying.

With a good Physique, you can Stun at least half the time. (Third Eye Aim doesn't substitute for Stun/Trip/Stagger Chance.) Steroidal Muscle Augment penalizes Willpower, but you still have more than any other Class.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but I suggest Sturm & Drang for a Melee Merc. Vaulting Strike is mostly redundant with Power Strike, in my opinion. If you land a Stun with your melee weapon, the 3-4 Ranged attacks will always hit. Personally, I like Custom Shock Gear (Stun. Bonus Hit Rate) + Entropy (Freeze Chance). If they survive the first salvo, they're probably Frozen, so the opening melee of the next S&D will do double. And S & D inherits Stagger from Rending Strikes.
Yeah, melee merc is great that's why it's my favorite. I just specifically mentioned crowds and flying because whenever I think about playing another class I ask myself but what about cleave and lunge. I always go for melee builds in games when possible so not being able to melee everything on a class is a big downside for me. Still kineticist sounds like a very fun alternative to try something different. So for a melee kineticist I'll want to focus on physique and will and grab a staff as soon as possible then? Do you have any particular recommendations on what other abilities to pick for kineticist?

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Fair 'nuff. (Note: Wings/Light Jetpack enable Melee attacks vs Flying for all Classes. Used to be automatic, but it's now a free action in Specials.)

Disclaimer: I've been messing around a bit, but haven't done a full playthrough.
Deep Impact: Default Crit Chance is 5%. Xukwood Staff on Myrellion is +15. Force Darts benefit, but not Geothermal Spike.
Acid Cloud: Auto-Crits vs Stunned targets.
Geothermal Spike: Auto-Crits vs Tripped targets. Hookstaff (Uveto) has Trip Chance.
Rough Leash might also be a decent weapon. Crushing, Trip & +10 Crit.
Vitality Siphon: Better long term sustain than Psychogenic Vim, since it can be used multiple times in combat, but you need to spend under 15 Energy during it's duration to have a net gain. Gets a lot better once you get the Psi-Noise Generator on Zheng-Shi. There are supposed to be 2 better versions implemented later (+50%/+100%).
Kineticists are the best Gym Bros/Bunnies, thanks to their higher Energy cap.