How does one dodge a laser?

Orangeduck

May 15, 2017
I was on Myrellion and a cock vine dodged a laser "At the last second." Which, unless the cock vine could react faster than the speed of light, is impossible. So please tell me, How does one dodge a laser?

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
Well ppl dodge lasers everywhere since back in star trek and older places, but maybe his "dodge" was more a result of you failing to make a 100% precise shot, thus dodging anyway.

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
The same way you dodge a bullet: Roundhouse Kick it to the FACE

Honestly though, you dodge where you think the gun isn't pointing at.

Reactions: Tinman

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
A laser containing enough energy to hurt you isn't moving at the speed of light.

Ratchet Hundreda

Sep 30, 2015
Hungary
ratchethun.deviantart.com
Yeah, i guess it could be that the technology which produces the laser bolts somehow make it so that they travel several millionths of the speed of light. The term LASER itself is just an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. To create a proper laser beam which would be able to actually hurt you and burn into your skin or burn through basically anything would require immense amounts of energy. Also laser bolts are not really a thing to begin with since light can't really act in form of a bolt or at least not in a way that is visible. The light bolt a real laser could create travels so fast that it's basically invisible for the human eye so it's boring AF.

Let's say there is some way to alter the behavior of the emitted beam and create only a bolt of concentrated radiation which has enough irradiance to burn through stuff in exchange for its speed. So it's a properly weaponizable version of a laser beam which requires only fraction of the energy it would require normally and it works in the same principle with stimulated emission of radiation. This would make some sense in terms of conservation of energy even if it isn't really something which is possible or at least not in ways that we know of. So, it's perfect science fiction.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
You usually dodge a bullet before it is actually fired, why do you think a laser-bullet is so different?

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Normal lazer bean probably move at speed of light but here we meantions lazer bullet than typical lazer beam. Or all enemies got FTL reflex and movements xD

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
*sigh* I hate to be that guy but I'm gonna do it.

Laser Beam - hits instantaneously
Laser Bolt or Blaster - is basically a super heated charged particle encased in some medium gas that slows down the projectile so that it isn't instantaneous (they've done this in RL slowing a photon down using some form of gas in particle colliders(can't for the life of me atm spell that)), you wanna get more specific I think of these weapons as nothing more than plasma bolt throwers.

Reactions: ShySquare

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Yeah as long it won't be called directly shooting laser beam it can be dodged. And having undodgeable wepons not fits Fen vision for the game I assume.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
When I think of lasers being used as weapons I think of cannons, particular the Laser Cannons used in EVE Online.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
This here is some Sword Art Online shit where you predict where they hit before they fire.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
This here is some Sword Art Online shit where you predict where they hit before they fire.
Not really. Just look at where the barrel is pointing and move before they fire. It's not that complicated, SAO just had to make Kiro look like the smartest guy in every game he's in, so they hype it beyond all reason.

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
I was on Myrellion and a cock vine dodged a laser "At the last second." Which, unless the cock vine could react faster than the speed of light, is impossible. So please tell me, How does one dodge a laser?

Yes the beam travels at the speed of light, but your decision to fire plus actually activating the weapon takes a finite time. If the target is moving fast enough it may simply no longer be where you were aiming. If the target is moving irrationally you may try to compensate and just guess wrong.

As for active dodging, that is simply recognizing when you are being actively targeted and that is about body language. We automatically note and interpret body language, this is just spotting the head tilt that means they are looking down sights or the forearm tension and fist swell of taking first pressure. At no point should your conscious mind get involved

P.S.- I don't see how you could avoid being hit by a laser tracking droid at anything under 300 km or 0.1 light seconds

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
The problem with such assumption that such Laser Guns fire at speed of light is that, if that was really the case, most of time neither you or anyone would be able to track or see the shot travel to whatever it hits. Unless it was a constant laser beam.

So yeah, it may be a laser shot, a laser bullet, but IT's NOT going at speed of light, fast? sure, but not a light speed.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
On the contrary, it's sci-fi bullshit and somehow no one is actually injured beyond superficial bruising in an incredible, explosive and often extremely physical firefight that also includes you flashing them a few times until they're literally incapable of coherent thought.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Everyone has a gamer's body. A grenade at point blank will kill you even if you're armored in real life. But in a video game a big explosion taken naked will still leave you with some HP.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Enemy reacting to PC pulling trigger coud be esy to use when enemy is small or nimble or both. We not have enemies of 11 feet tall Leithan dodging same way do we?

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Here's a funny fact, DEWs (directed energy weapons) are considered illegal world wide for use as offensive weapons.