How do you deal with frustration when drawing?

Rohezk

Feb 19, 2018
Argentina
Some context, I've been trying to sit down and draw at peace for the past two weeks but can't. I took a small rest after I made a mistake before starting over again but the problem is, work and studies keep overlapping whenever I try to draw, leaving me too frustrated when I'm eventually done to actually draw anything good. So my question is, how do you manage that?

Tl ; dr: drew ugly feet, no more time to draw, got salty.

InterestedTalker

Apr 5, 2019
I mean, personally it helps if you draw from references. It doesn't even have to be from 'real' feet, it can be from other artist's similified/stylized versions of the feet.

Also, honestly, videos are really good references. It's basically a compilation of poses where you can pause and sketch.

Also, draw stuff you're into. Like, if you're into bondage, draw girls in bondage. If you're into dick girls, draw dick girls. If you're into handholding (you degenerate), do that. Helps with motivation if you enjoy the subject.

InterestedTalker

Apr 5, 2019
There's no shame in copying other people, as long as you copy enough different people. If you copy other artists, they often have the experience about stuff like autonomy and poses which shines through their artwork. If you copy them, you start to naturally pick up on those things.

And if you copy enough different people, and blend them all together, you start to develop your own style, an amalgamation with your own unique twist.

Rohezk

Feb 19, 2018
Argentina
This is a healthy take on things, and I usually make use of pose reference or simply start looking at hentai whenever I want to find a specific detail, after all I have tons of those. But what buggers me right now is constantly having to drop drawing in favor of other things.

Rohezk

Feb 19, 2018
Argentina
I'm sure most of the people who post art here do it on their free time or as a part time source of income, but my question is how do you manage to balance it out?

InterestedTalker

Apr 5, 2019
I dunno if I can tell you any tricks or tips on that front, I tend to draw in bursts, whenever I have time. Dunno, it could be that you just don't have time, or maybe progress is slow, so that even though you have 'time', it feels like not enough because it doesn't feel 'productive' when you use that time?

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Draw them always wearing boots.

Reactions: Rohezk

bigsquid

Dec 31, 2018
I’m piss poor at actually envisioning just what I’m trying to draw, I don’t recognize what’s happening and tend to get frustrated before I realize why I’m upset.
Knowing this, thumbnails are life and time savers since it they’re letting me think through what I’m gonna drawn while also warming up my wrist and arms.

Thumbnails can also be reusable too, if you have a few you liked for one project, but didn’t use it for it—- you can just bust an old one out, boom, idea on the ready.

Also, try using a different material or brush setting. Taking a break and doing something different from the norm that’s stressing you out can also be a big help.

Reactions: Rohezk

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
Use to do hand drawn self-portraits, once upon a time, not using tablets or any of the computerized table setup for that kind of thing - i mean old school charcoal, graphite, pastel and markers. When i got upset about drawing, I draw some gruesome stuff or dick around by drawing doodles, random stuff, the kind of scattered brain stuff that can either make you laugh or be a great time killer. I write in my spare time instead of drawing because wanker's cramp is a bitch when using a tool to draw several hours in, but that's besides the point.

I find that music helps incredibly well, works if it sets you in the right mood. For me, my go-to choice for music is trance or really good industrial rock to keep my focus but if i'm pissed and need to fuel the rage: hybrid orchestral soundtracks and music with high energy that would get my blood pumping.

Another technique is meditation or reciting mantras. I keep telling myself: "you can always fix it, nothing is permanent", "take your time, nothing else matters", "whatever is going on, this is what I AM doing right now, everything else can wait". Whatever helps you sort out your priorities and value what's more important in your life, can be a great motivator for the right state of mind.

Hope this helps.

The_Mallace

Dec 30, 2018
I'm sure most of the people who post art here do it on their free time or as a part time source of income, but my question is how do you manage to balance it out?
I don't draw but I got a friend who basically treats drawing like a reward. He finishes up all the studying and homework then uses drawing as one of his potential reward.

In terms of actually balancing out between the two you can always make yourself a schedule with your time. Its what I did when I was in college but I didn't draw back then I sculpted. The same idea can be used her by just creating timed windows of when you can work. Depending on your time the majority of my classes had roughly 2-4 hour time gaps so I put half the time to study then used the rest for goof off or sculpting.