Have I missed my chance for Power Wave and Kiaijutsu?

JohnnyDevo

Mar 25, 2021
My save is very old. 360 in game days, I've learned every power, done every quest, the works. However, this was all just exploring on my own without any wiki.

I decided I wanted to assemble a spellblade build, so I looked up what powers might help, and this was how I learned about mirror magic, which I hadn't learned because I skipped the guardian, not wanting to be violent about it.

However, my character is a champion of keros, so the kitsune never attack me anymore. Is there no other way for me to get Power Wave and Kiaijutsu other than starting a whole new file?

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
My save is very old. 360 in game days, I've learned every power, done every quest, the works. However, this was all just exploring on my own without any wiki.

I decided I wanted to assemble a spellblade build, so I looked up what powers might help, and this was how I learned about mirror magic, which I hadn't learned because I skipped the guardian, not wanting to be violent about it.

However, my character is a champion of keros, so the kitsune never attack me anymore. Is there no other way for me to get Power Wave and Kiaijutsu other than starting a whole new file?

Well, from what I can see on the wiki - no, you wouldn't need to start a whole new character - as long as the Frostwood Kitsune still attack you (and you've gotten the Mirror Magic ability).

This is due to the Frostwood Kitsune, as well as Nanako, having both of these powers. As seen by this wiki link (Power Wave), and this wiki link (Kiaijutsu).

If the Frostwood Kitsune truly don't attack you (as implied in your post, unsure about that myself - as I've not often sold any PC's souls to Keros) - then yes, you unfortunately might have restart - or save edit your file, using the save editor, although use with caution (at your own risk).

EDIT:
Also, Nakano drops a Tome of Kiaijutsu when you beat him. Even if you decided for whatever reason to, uh, not use it...or if you used the Kiyoko-and-lose method of getting past the floofs and thus never got it in the first place...you can acquire a copy of that Tome from Kohaku's shop (random chance).

Derp, I totally forgot about Tomes. I guess that's my fault for trying to help when I don't really use them lol (only boring Warrior type game-play the majority of the time). Thanks for the further clarification.

Last edited:

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Also, Nakano drops a Tome of Kiaijutsu when you beat him. Even if you decided for whatever reason to, uh, not use it...or if you used the Kiyoko-and-lose method of getting past the floofs and thus never got it in the first place...you can acquire a copy of that Tome from Kohaku's shop (random chance).

JohnnyDevo

Mar 25, 2021

Now that you mention it, looking through my powers, I do have kiajutsu. I certainly don't have a habit of selling tomes instead of using them.

The issue of Power Wave still persists, though. The Frostwood Kitsune encounter never leads to combat. They just give me the option to leave or go straight to the fun.

Save editor seems promising. I can always save a backup before I do anything, after all

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Hm. If you haven't done PuppetQuest for Rindo and Kazuo, you can also get Power Wave there by mirroring some of the enemies. But if you've already done that too, you're SOL. 'Course, more such enemies might show up in the future.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
Now that you mention it, looking through my powers, I do have kiajutsu. I certainly don't have a habit of selling tomes instead of using them.

The issue of Power Wave still persists, though. The Frostwood Kitsune encounter never leads to combat. They just give me the option to leave or go straight to the fun.

Save editor seems promising. I can always save a backup before I do anything, after all

Do you have Kiyoko in your party? She stops the encounters with kitsune from going to combat. Try removing her if so. Otherwise, It's probably a glitch.

JohnnyDevo

Mar 25, 2021
Do you have Kiyoko in your party? She stops the encounters with kitsune from going to combat. Try removing her if so. Otherwise, It's probably a glitch.

I went and tested it just to be sure, but removing Kiyoko from the party does not result in combat. The text does support the idea of them being subservient (calling me divine champion, recognizing me specifically on sight, etc), and I do remember the encounters stopped being fights since before I unlocked the ability to actually recruit Kiyoko.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
I went and tested it just to be sure, but removing Kiyoko from the party does not result in combat. The text does support the idea of them being subservient (calling me divine champion, recognizing me specifically on sight, etc), and I do remember the encounters stopped being fights since before I unlocked the ability to actually recruit Kiyoko.

Then unless you're Keros's champion, which I've never tested, it sounds like something bugged somewhere. Unless they add more enemies or you try starting over, you're out of luck on power wave. Not exactly good to hear, but I can't think of anything else to try.

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
Once you're Kitsune, you no longer have hostile fluff encounters. That said you will probably have an opportunity to learn it later. The rift cultists for example were given earlier missable powers so you could learn them, and they occasionally add skill books to learn those skills as well.