Gray Goo Melee Weapon Idea

SpicyShino

Sep 9, 2015
It's been a while since the Gray Armor was added, and I was thinking it'd be nice to see SteeleTech R&D come out with some new toys for Steele Jr's journey.

It's probably a tall order, but the main idea is that the weapon is an arm mounted band that molds gray goo into different weapon forms. (Mainly 3)

A classic hand-held blade that would have the highest dmg and evasion of the three.

An arm spear (think Ed from FMA) with a considerable Crit bonus.

And a tendril like whip with higher accuracy and possibly a multi-enemy bonus.

The current weapon shape would probably be decided in the Appearance Menu/on Equip, possibly similar to how membrane flags are toggled.

The weapon's base stats would probably be...

Kinetic Dmg - 15

Dmg Flag - Penetrating

And the Form bonuses could be...

Sword (Dmg + 2, Evasion + 3)

Spear (Crit + 4)

Whip (Accuracy + 3, Flurry Bonus)

*Quick note. I figured the whip form should be more damage focused than the other in-game whips due to it being made of (liquid) metal*

In-Game Desc.

Amorphous Retaliation Module

This new prototype from SteeleTech utilizes the recently patented nano-machine technology, "Liquid Steel", to create a self defense system that can adapt to a wide variety close-range threats. The shifting metal stored in the A.R.M. quickly molds and hardens into a preset shape of the user's choice for easy access in combat. 

**Possibly going to add a poll for whether or not the weapons should be separate or not. Too Tired to do it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I like the idea, especially the option to have a melee analogue of the Secure MP.  Here's some nitpicks:

Depending on where do you think to put that weapon story-progression-wise, the stats should be tweaked considerably. 15 base damage is a lot, because even most Myrellion non-energy melee has less overall stats.

'Liquid Steel' sounds lame. Plus the module store grey goo nanobots, not metal.

I don't know how hard it'd be to actually code this, but concept wise, it should be possible to change the configuration during the combat by spending a turn (Quickdraw shouldn't effect this).

Edit: IMO Whip form shouldn't have the Penetrating flag, to give an option against foes that has Ablative armor.

As a random idea, how about having an additional Special option for when you have both Goo Armor and A.R.M. equipped? It'll use some of your armor's mass dropping its defence, similar to the currently available special, but will boost your melee weapon instead of Tease DOT.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
15 base damage is a lot, because even most Myrellion non-energy melee has less overall stats.
There's no reason why non-energy weapons should be weaker than energy weapons. If it's intended to be Myrellion+ equipment, then stats equal to weapons like Vamp Blade or Lava Saber are appropriate.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
There's no reason why non-energy weapons should be weaker than energy weapons. If it's intended to be Myrellion+ equipment, then stats equal to weapons like Vamp Blade or Lava Saber are appropriate.

If we'd get it for free or cheaply after arriving on Myrellion, it'd automatically render all other kinetic melee weapons we can get there, with the exception of Taivra's spear (a boss drop) useless. If we'd get it after Taivra's palace, than it's fine, especially since it'd provide any pacifistic PCs that chose not to fight Taivra with an adequate  alternative.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
If we'd get it for free or cheaply after arriving on Myrellion, it'd automatically render all other weapons we can get there, with the exception of Taivra's spear (a boss drop) useless.

Sorry, I must've missed the part where it's just given to the PC for free.

Anyway, Taivra's Spear is also worse than the weapons you can buy the moment you set foot on Myrellion, unless you have Low Tech Solutions (in which case it just about breaks even).

SpicyShino

Sep 9, 2015
Sorry, I must've missed the part where it's just given to the PC for free.

Anyway, Taivra's Spear is also worse than the weapons you can buy the moment you set foot on Myrellion, unless you have Low Tech Solutions (in which case it just about breaks even).

Well I figured it was obvious that it would require you to finish Anno's quest. So considering you'd only be able to acquire it after that point I thought the damage amount was appropriate.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Well, if you compare it to the other gear you can get on Tarkus, it's obviously over the budget. Tarkus-level stuff has 17 points total, at most, instead of 18-20 this thing has.

SpicyShino

Sep 9, 2015
Well, if you compare it to the other gear you can get on Tarkus, it's obviously over the budget. Tarkus-level stuff has 17 points total, at most, instead of 18-20 this thing has.

Crap you're right. I didn't account for how high it'd be with bonuses. I should probably change the Base dmg to 13...

Or a better idea, maybe it should unlock Post-Myrellion. That way the passage of time would feel more natural. Plus the effort of putting it in won't be wasted on something no one would have use for.

Wait you said Tarkus? I was thinking you'd get this item Early-Myrellion or After Taivra, since it'd be after Anno's Quest and Nova armor.

SpicyShino

Sep 9, 2015
I like the idea, especially the option to have a melee analogue of the Secure MP.  Here's some nitpicks:

Depending on where do you think to put that weapon story-progression-wise, the stats should be tweaked considerably. 15 base damage is a lot, because even most Myrellion non-energy melee has less overall stats.

'Liquid Steel' sounds lame. Plus the module store grey goo nanobots, not metal.

I don't know how hard it'd be to actually code this, but concept wise, it should be possible to change the configuration during the combat by spending a turn (Quickdraw shouldn't effect this).

Edit: IMO Whip form shouldn't have the Penetrating flag, to give an option against foes that has Ablative armor.

As a random idea, how about having an additional Special option for when you have both Goo Armor and A.R.M. equipped? It'll use some of your armor's mass dropping its defence, similar to the currently available special, but will boost your melee weapon instead of Tease DOT.
Sorry for not elaborating much on what the ARM actually is. IIRC Anno's report on Nova tech said that using the actual goo would be difficult, and that they'd be starting from scratch. So while it is nano tech (which I actually said in the last description) it's a newer SteeleTech system based on the graygoo. And on a macroscopic scale nano machines appear liquid and are technically made of metal. 

And I thought Liquid Steel was a perfectly good name. Maybe if the company had a different name, I'd agree with you though.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Wait you said Tarkus? I was thinking you'd get this item Early-Myrellion or After Taivra, since it'd be after Anno's Quest and Nova armor.

I said Tarkus, because that's where Anno's quest is, and where you get the goo armour. I usually do it the first thing after landing on Tarkus, before Stellar Tether.

Ravelordnito

Sep 17, 2015
I said Tarkus, because that's where Anno's quest is, and where you get the goo armour. I usually do it the first thing after landing on Tarkus, before Stellar Tether.

It could easily be a myrellion weapon, afterall anno says that it will take a while for R&D to make anything useful from the goo.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Well, yes, but my point was that just gating it behind AnnoQuest and goo armour would make it Tarkus content, and those were the only gates SS mentioned, while acting as if that would make it Myrellion content.

SpicyShino

Sep 9, 2015
Well, yes, but my point was that just gating it behind AnnoQuest and goo armour would make it Tarkus content, and those were the only gates SS mentioned, while acting as if that would make it Myrellion content.

It'll be sometime after Goo Armor was well though. Worst case, it could just be set to unlock when going to Myrellion.

But personally I've always defeated the pirates before doing Anno's quest so it never occurred to me that Goo items were considered Tarkus content. I'd usually be off-planet or leaving before I got it.