Frontiersmen Songs

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Just wanted to say that referencing Byzantine folk songs is fuckin rad and @Savin (?) is a true hero for putting the Two-Blooded Borderer in the backstory of a crossbreed military officer. Also the Volsünga is neat too. Thanks. It gave me a tickle.

Is there a standard naming convention for UGC warships or would that be too much military navel (or "naval", hee hee) gazing for Fenco?

Also, way to drop Phaedra in there. IT'S STILL HAPPENING!!!11

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Just wanted to say that referencing Byzantine folk songs is fuckin rad and @Savin (?) is a true hero for putting the Two-Blooded Borderer in the backstory of a crossbreed military officer. Also the Volsünga is neat too. Thanks. It gave me a tickle.

Is there a standard naming convention for UGC warships or would that be too much military navel (or "naval", hee hee) gazing for Fenco?

Glad somebody got the reference :3

Terran-Space Coalition carriers are all named after epics/etc. from human history. The flagship of the fleet is the Odyssey for instance. AFAIK that's the only naming convention that's been established so far.

Reactions: Alypia

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Glad somebody got the reference :3

Terran-Space Coalition carriers are all named after epics/etc. from human history. The flagship of the fleet is the Odyssey for instance. AFAIK that's the only naming convention that's been established so far.
Now I'm just looking forward to the TSC Alexiad, Gísla, Aeneid, and of course, the Iliad.

Last edited:

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
I am confused. Are you insinuating "naval" is the lewd term? Because it's the opposite. Navel is bellybutton, naval is ship-based.
"Navel-gazing" basically means thinking about something too much, especially if it's just something you're contemplating and not actually going to do something about. Alypia was making a pun, "naval-gazing", since this is about ships.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
So Terran Space Coalition forces/carriers are named after epics in human history, but so far there is no convention on naming UGC ships?
Do we have any named UGC ships yet? If not, it is not too late to come up with one. But if we do have a bunch of named ships for the UGC, maybe we can come up with a naming system?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I don't think any UGC ships have been named. Or any non-carrier TSC ships.

There's not really any need for a naming convention until there are.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I don't think any UGC ships have been named. Or any non-carrier TSC ships.

There's not really any need for a naming convention until there are.
I just went back through the comments and noticed I put "UGC" instead of "TSC" all over. -_-

Shambler

Jun 11, 2017
Honestly, a good place to start would be stellaris ship names. Especially pirate names.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Yeah, but a lot of planets outside of our solar system are just letters and numbers for the most part. So that would make it centered around humans again.
The Ausar must have names for the planets in THEIR solar system, too, right?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Its certainly unusual to see Epics used to name the ships of the TSC navy. And I love it.

Regarding naming conventions, it helps to look at how countries on Earth and their own naming conventions. For example, the Imperial Russian Navy named their battleships after battles or Royals, saints or generals, while the Soviet Navy replaced Royal named ships with Republican ideals.

You could have ships that are named after adjectives, like Valiant, or use concepts that translate into something like "Flowers of Dawn Open To The Warm Sunlight".

Or maybe Rivers, Mountain ranges or famous figures from history.

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
Typical naming conventions include:

1- Monarchs, rulers, conquerors, generals and other important people.
2- Cities, towns, villages, important places and country subdivisions.
3- Rivers, mountains and other geographical stuff.
4- Gods, spirits, mythological creatures, legends, epics, etc.
5- Adjectives that sound good, the Star Trek way.
6- Common stuff that sounds good, i.e: meteor, lightning, etc.
7- Professions.
8- Battles.

The US navy uses the first 2 for most of its ships, same as most navies.

Most sci-fi franchises name ships based on 4, 5 and 6 because it's easier, you don't have to make up a ton of new stuff just to name ships.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShySquare

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, but then wouldn't we just be making up random names at that point, rather than sticking to a theme?

Well, we actually have a giant list of planet names submitted by Offbeatr backers, so that'd certainly be one way to use them!

~snip~
Most sci-fi franchises name ships based on 4, 5 and 6 because it's easier, you don't have to make up a ton of new stuff just to name ships.

I've always liked the Starship Troopers convention of naming combat ships after war heroes (eg. the Roger Young). That's a great way to inject some history and flavor into the ships' names, especially for militaristic species like the Thraggen.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015

4- Gods, spirits, mythological creatures, legends, epics, etc.

Maybe even add the names of entire cults/religions as options for 4? Like for example "The Golden Dawn", "S.S. Thelema", etc.

Though I do like the idea of a dreadnought called "The Morning Star" heh :rolleyes:

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
Though I do like the idea of a dreadnought called "The Morning Star" heh :rolleyes:

Are you referencing the weapon here, the god in Slavic Mythology or the alternate name some people give to Lucifer?

And if there are ships named after famous heroes, I wouldn't be surprised if there are ones named after Herakles, Arther, Lu Bu, Arjuna, Chuck Norris, etc.

And back to the topic of the songs, I would enjoy seeing space version of the sea shanty's by pirates or ship crew.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
And back to the topic of the songs, I would enjoy seeing space version of the sea shanty's by pirates or ship crew.

What shall we do with the horny Ausar?
Bang her in the morning!
Way-hay, up she rises
Way-hay, up she rises
Way-hay, up she rises
Bang her in the morning!

Put her on the long dick 'til she slobbers (x3)
Bang her in the morning!

Pull out your dong and tease her (x3)
Bang her in the morning!

Put her with the puppers with the deck pumping in her (x3)
Bang her in the morning!

Heave her by the leg to get her flowin' (x3)
Bang her in the morning!

That's what we'll do with horny Ausar. (x3)
Bang her in the morning!

(I regret nothing!)

Last edited:

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Are you referencing the weapon here, the god in Slavic Mythology or the alternate name some people give to Lucifer?

And if there are ships named after famous heroes, I wouldn't be surprised if there are ones named after Herakles, Arther, Lu Bu, Arjuna, Chuck Norris, etc.

The alternate name for Lucifer, though I could see it being used for the weapon too I suppose. Main reason I chose "The Morning Star" over another name for Lucifer like "The Peacock Angel" is that it sounds better as a ship name over the alternatives. Of course Morning Star was actually the name given to some pompous fuck in Babylon in the Bible if I remember correctly, it was only later that people mixed that guy and Lucifer together into the same person.

What shall we do with the horny Ausar? (I regret nothing!)

Oh hey my favorite Sea Shanty (mainly cause its the one I know by heart) turned into a TiTs alternative, nice.

Fishbones

Dec 28, 2016
there's also the culture style naming... which might be more prevalent in the future, where there are simply so many ships that you run out of normal names.
imagine giving every car in the world a name...........

HCR Pommel Strike
DN Katanas Always Win
HFR Modded Content
LCS Pupple is a Color Now
TSV I Always Shoot First

Reactions: ShySquare