Feature Request: Disable Character Option

Should certain characters have the option to be disabled, in a fashion similar to the sand worms?

• Yes, the player should have that option

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, it should only be for certain enemies

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

ToastyCola

May 10, 2019
I don't know if this has been suggested, as I didn't see anything related in a quick forum search, but I'd like an option to disable a character, similar to the way you can disable the worms in CoC or the worms on Tarkus -they're not just standing around with you unable to interact, moved around, or you need to ignore them, you will never encounter them while their option is disabled.
Obviously, this will exclude plot-relevant/key-item characters, characters who already have a method of removal (that doesn't require extensive time with them), one-off characters, and enemies who don't already have a disable option. It won't help with the fact you do have to meet them to know who to disable, unless you make a list in the options with what kinks/character personalities/whatever you want disabled and apply it broadly, but it's better than no option at all.

I ask, because, while I don't wish to infringe on the creative liberties of the writers of said characters, nor do I wish to harm, in any capacity, the enjoyment of other players, there are characters who disgust me, and not just in their sex scenes. One in particular I recently encountered for the first time in several years of playing (I like to discover things on my own), fills me with absolute rage and hatred -to a degree I haven't felt since my sibling and I threatened to kill each other. This particular character is so abhorrent to me, I can't enjoy the rest of the game knowing they're in it, just as I can't entertain the idea of going anywhere I have a chance of crossing paths with my sibling without weaponry on hand.
Just as some people may not want the worms in their game because of their disgust, I don't want these characters in mine. Except, unlike the worms, I either have no option to get rid of them ("Deal with it"/"Ignore your problems, that always works"), or the option feels incomplete and unsatisfying, like taking a two-pump-chump to bed, but they don't do a damn for foreplay ("Playing 'Shell Game' with a street scammer"/"Getting the cold shoulder"). Right now, my only option is to learn to code and manually remove them from a downloaded copy of the flash file. Assuming that's possible, without wrecking the code of that copy beyond playability.

TL;DR: OP wants option to disable characters, finds some more abhorrent than butt bugs, scat, and ketchup combined.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
If OP wants that, they had best start writing it up themselves.

The Ideas forum is where people post their works in progress. It is not the place to pitch ideas.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I find it doubtful that they would go back and append such a feature on characters already implemented in game.

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
I'm gonna make a wild guess an say it's Riya XD

Did I hit the bullseye?

I think i might be one of the few who actually like her, but man, she can really irk certain people a lot.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Botherioc and Pyro Pups are both beings that i would thanos in a heartbeat, but take the bad with the good, and so on.

Apr 17, 2017
Personally would only do it for some enemies (some of the bugs/worms), and even then, maybe leave the enemy encounters themselves, just automatically skip and have nothing happen after winning/losing, aside from exp/credit gain/loss.
Fleeing doesn't always work and ignoring the after loss scene doesn't always work if you end up pregnant or infected with bugs or addicted to something.

Reactions: ShySquare

runingman69

Nov 24, 2018
canuck land.
This feature seems useless. The only time this could be useful is for some of the more taboo creatures such as parasites. The butt bug has a feature to keep it out of the game, and the more controversial npc's have a warning label so you can avoid them. Overall i think this feature is rather useless. TiTS is a game based around smut fetish types are left right and center to make a system to block them or characters representing them completely would be counter productive.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
"I don't like Character X because they don't appeal to me for <arbitrary reason here>."
Guess what - there are very few characters you actually have to interact with and none of them actually require you to do much beyond talking to them. You can just ignore them if you don't like them.

Reactions: Slab Bulkhead

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
That's not strictly true, you are forced into combat encounters and can't red flag any losses which may or may not have a lasting effect on your character, depending.

The real problem with this in my mind is that UI issues, as well as just the soul draining code malarcky for doing this with every character. It's possible, but it's best to just skip by it using the usual means and let the creators be able to assume all assets in the game are, in fact, accessible at any given time.

ToastyCola

May 10, 2019
Again, I'm not naming any characters, in an effort to prevent this from becoming a complaint about them, or their writing, or whatnot. It's not my intention to say X character needs Y punishment or Z way to expel them from the galaxy. It's to point out that not every character, controversial or not, has a warning or a way to remove them from being encountered, where some characters really should have some manner of trigger warning or way to give the player an option to say "you know what, I don't want this in my sexy escapism fantasy".

I understand the issues with coding this kind of feature. That's a legitimate criticism of this idea, and I will admit, this idea does ask a lot, and for that reason alone, may never be implemented. If I knew a damn thing about coding, I'd offer to help, to put my time and effort in to get this off the ground. I don't understand the "deal with it" attitude. If that's how you feel, "just deal with" having the worms always active, because if memory serves, way back in CoC1, the worms didn't have an option to be disabled, when they were first introduced. It was added in relatively quickly afterward, but they didn't start that way.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
The worms can be forced upon your character if they exist in game, though, for a very niche fetish that the majority believe is a turn off, evidently. You're not particularly wrong, but it's an important distinction where I don't think anything in TiTs is really forced on you barring pregnancy stuff, maybe, on loss where applicable. Heckin' plants and their eggs, right?

That said, if you feel strongly about a particular character like this I'd recommend scribbling up a complaint about it to air the reasons that it makes you uncomfortable to someone, privately if need be. (Email Fenoxo or PM Savin or something, I suppose.) So long as it isn't Riya, which is well known and literally does it just to bully people the jerk, it might illuminate little potential issues and hangups a given writer didn't think about. It might not be changed, and honestly probably won't, but they can be mindful of it in the future.

Reactions: ShySquare
A

Athena

For every NPC? Not really. And I don't think it'd be necessary for every enemy unless they're particularly contentious or are meant to be a challenge.

Mind you: I would kill for a feature to remove certain parasite encounters, but at this point, I'd prefer it'd be the result of an item or quest line. Sure they're gross and force changes to your character's body (which personally I'm never okay with), they're usually also weak and make for easy XP farming when you first arrive at a location. It'd feel more like I've earned the ability to avoid them, especially now that I no longer need them to get stronger.