Expanding on what Leorah actually does all day?

HIMEROSY

Feb 18, 2019
Minor story questions about Leorah and how we see her run her business, as well as some suggestions. TLDR; it'd be cool if Leorah was doing work whilst her shop is open. I'd be curious to read if anyone else agrees or had their own ideas/explanations.

Her shop is open 9:00 to 19:00 and she basically just sits around all day being bored. But we know she's meant to buy and resell items, modify things she buys, make some of her own things from scratch or from materials she's bought, communicate with other traders and occasionally visit them for the sake of her business etc. We even have indications that she can do tanning in her shop. She's described as having a strong toned body, which would take work to maintain, although presumably all or some of that could be done from just her manual jobs. She also retains enough of her bow skills to teach the PC some tricks regarding that.

The reason I'm picking on Leorah is that Ogrish, Ivris, Sanders and even Sugo are seen working more than she is. She's got a lot of work and time she'd need to put into her shop, so you'd have thought she'd at least be some of it during open-hours, given she hasn't got any staff under her employ, similarly to Ivris and Ogrish. (Brother Sanders's job would primarily just be making sure he can perform his holy magic and being a spiritual leader, so seeing him just meditating and reading makes sense to me).

Whilst working on her items out-of-hours would explain why she's tired all the time, doing it all them then seems like a bad idea.

Essentially I'm suggesting some minor flavour text about how she's idly and monotonously doing a variety of things for her shop, and mentions of some of the extra work she does out-of-hours. She can still be bored all the time provided she's doing boring work. Maybe the fact she finds her work boring would emphasise what loss that not being able to go out hunting like she used to was to her.

Some ideas she might be doing:

• Sewing (making or modifying her Comfortable Clothes and Leather items. Using wool. This broadly covers a wide range of crafts)
  • Bow and arrow making (from getting good wood, maybe carving it, treating it, maybe using bone/sinew if it's composite, fletching, making bowstrings, fitting them, buying and adding arrowheads from Ogrish maybe, maybe using varnish for various wood items etc)
  • Making rope and thread (a lot of craft to this as well)
  • Tanning (working with leather, getting rid of hair/fur, drying it, treating it properly etc)
  • Practising with a bow (maybe her fine elvish whitewood bow!) or just testing her bows out back whilst keeping an eye on the shop.
It might be cool to have some chance of seeing her visiting the other shop owners to consult or buy from them for her own business. We know she was helped by Sanders and Ivris after her Wyvern mauling, who might be able to help her with blessing items like the Lynx Totem or chemically or alchemically treat materials like leather.

Finally I hope in subsequent updates we find out more about why she's so bored and tired all the time.

Last edited:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So, I can't speak for Tobs (who's basically taken over for writing her), but I initially wrote her as acting bored and disinterested -- but her tail swishes like crazy when you come over to actually talk to her. She's... basically being a cat, acting like she's not interested in you when in fact she is super interested in you and has probably dropped everything to watch you.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Pretty much. She's not actually bored, she just acts bored when you're around. She doesn't do anything in the shop itself, especially not tanning, that all takes place out back. Tanning stinks to high hell, they used to have entire sections of cities just for that.

HIMEROSY

Feb 18, 2019
So, I can't speak for Tobs (who's basically taken over for writing her), but I initially wrote her as acting bored and disinterested -- but her tail swishes like crazy when you come over to actually talk to her. She's... basically being a cat, acting like she's not interested in you when in fact she is super interested in you and has probably dropped everything to watch you.

I knew she was acting disinterested around the PC, but I absolutely love the idea it's a cat-like behaviour, I can't believe I didn't see it before!

Pretty much. She's not actually bored, she just acts bored when you're around. She doesn't do anything in the shop itself, especially not tanning, that all takes place out back. Tanning stinks to high hell, they used to have entire sections of cities just for that.

Good point about the tanning stinking. Still, I think some minor fluff about evidence of when and where she makes her wares would be interesting, even if just because I really like the character (looking forward to more from her in future updates!).