Etheryn questions (loss scenes and dreams) [0.2.38]

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Got a couple questions about everyone's favorite elf.

- I've noticed that while every other companion can show up in certain loss scenes where the enemy will decide to fuck someone else instead of the Champion (Arona while she's an encounter, the Marefolk Shaman) Ryn never seems to be picked. Was that intended? I know she's got some special programming involving her chastity but none of the encounters seem like they'd care about that part of her. Except maybe Arona to mock it, I guess.

- This might be the wiki being outdated but it mentions there's a dream variant that can involve Ryn and I haven't managed to get it to show up. The wiki says that once you've met Ryn the 'Elf Queen' dream will change to being about her. I've never seen that happen, even after recruiting her and finishing up the Royal Amnesty quest. Is there some hidden requirement that's not listed, or something else I'm missing?

- Another thing that the wiki mentions is that certain sex scenes with Ryn (the same that increase Corruption) also reduce confidence, presumably Ryn's. I've noticed that her description in the Guests menu at the Frost Hound seems to change in the opposite direction over time from 'frightened animal' to just 'shy' as if her confidence was increasing. It's a neat little touch so I was wondering if this is something that's planned to come into play later on.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

QualityCuntrol

Nov 12, 2019
- Ryn (and non-corrupted Atugia) both have a "chaste" tag that prevents them from being picked for fuckin, so you're right about that - there isn't an in-game explanation for it as far as I know, so we're in the dark on the "canon" reasoning. Until we get info about it, I think we're stuck with coming up with our own headcanons. I'm going with, "Ryn's chastity cage is inscribed to protect her from the advances of people who don't know about the cage, because it would be bad if word got out that the queen had done such an awful thing to her sister," and "part of Atugia's runes prevents post-battle sexual encounters or something."

- Are you wearing the Ring of Pure Thought? It reduces/removes the occurence of sex dreams (and even then, many dreams don't come around often, and I've found that this particular dream has become rarer as the game updates).

- Yeah, that's an awesome touch! As far as I know, it's supposed to vary according to her hidden submission meter as you either wreck her or build her back up. No official word on it yet (at least to my knowledge as a non-backer), but I think her submission meter will come into play during the Winter City quest. I would be surprised if there weren't at least different parsers for her depending on where she's at when she confronts her sister, and knowing the writers, there may well be completely different scenes/routes as well. She also has different flavor text when she asks you to help her out.

I think the highest she goes is "straight-up squeezing your ass as a come-on when she's horny" and "quietly tending to her bow by the fire."

(As a side note, I'm not sure how to increase her confidence without having sex with her, which I wish we could do: not that I dislike it or anything, but I've got a strictly Garret-only champion on one file and have no way to help her out on there, unfortunately. Plus the champion isn't always around. It would make sense if we could put Cait or Quin on the job (I'd love for more Cait/Ryn and Cait&Ryn scenes, and I think Quin would have...quite a lot of feelings about Ryn's predicament), but there's a saying about beggars and choosers.)

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I know she's got some special programming involving her chastity but none of the encounters seem like they'd care about that part of her. Except maybe Arona to mock it, I guess.

A lot of the post-combat companion interactions are generic, meaning that whatever companions you have just get slotted into them. We initially didn't give Ryn the Chaste tag and she literally just broke scenes because of her cage; she doesn't have a vagina so she can't use female scenes and she doesn't have an accessible cock so she can't use male scenes. Whoops.

Another thing that the wiki mentions is that certain sex scenes with Ryn (the same that increase Corruption) also reduce confidence, presumably Ryn's. I've noticed that her description in the Guests menu at the Frost Hound seems to change in the opposite direction over time from 'frightened animal' to just 'shy' as if her confidence was increasing. It's a neat little touch so I was wondering if this is something that's planned to come into play later on.

Etheryn has a Confidence and a Libido meter that changes based on how you interact with her. Both change her dialogue and even her sex scenes, and they'll both be quite noticeable in the Winter City dungeon coming up.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
- Are you wearing the Ring of Pure Thought? It reduces/removes the occurence of sex dreams (and even then, many dreams don't come around often, and I've found that this particular dream has become rarer as the game updates).
No, but I checked. The impression I got from the wiki is that it should be a swap from the default dream (which I can get, repeatedly) to one that... I dunno, changes 'Elf Queen' to 'Etheryn' at least, I guess. It's a vague description. I should probably try again on some older files where I have fewer dream options, maybe that'll help. It took me approximately forever to get the other Etheryn dream to show up (that and a lot of cultist losses to get the high corruption it needs) where the Champion forcibly transforms her. Poor Etheryn...

I think the highest she goes is "straight-up squeezing your ass as a come-on when she's horny" and "quietly tending to her bow by the fire."
Hmmm, neither of my main Champion files (one male, one female) have gotten those yet. Clearly I need to have them spend more quality time with Ryn because both have the same reactions right now, where she's sitting with her hood up, trying to not attract anyone's attention. That'll give me something else to do between updates. Thanks for that.

(As a side note, I'm not sure how to increase her confidence without having sex with her, which I wish we could do: not that I dislike it or anything, but I've got a strictly Garret-only champion on one file and have no way to help her out on there, unfortunately. Plus the champion isn't always around. It would make sense if we could put Cait or Quin on the job (I'd love for more Cait/Ryn and Cait&Ryn scenes, and I think Quin would have...quite a lot of feelings about Ryn's predicament), but there's a saying about beggars and choosers.)
The Cait/Ryn scene when you first find out about her predicament was really good. It's a shame you can't get Cait involved more right now, and not at all for a female Champion. Maybe once magicocks get implemented, plus right now there's only one option that actually gets Ryn off when the Champion's female so yeah, looking forward to that addition whenever it happens. In the meantime, lots of hugs and cuddles it is.

A lot of the post-combat companion interactions are generic, meaning that whatever companions you have just get slotted into them. We initially didn't give Ryn the Chaste tag and she literally just broke scenes because of her cage; she doesn't have a vagina so she can't use female scenes and she doesn't have an accessible cock so she can't use male scenes. Whoops.
I figured it might be some sort of coding thing but it didn't occur to me that not having an accessible penis would also cause issues with how the game functions. The more you learn...

Etheryn has a Confidence and a Libido meter that changes based on how you interact with her. Both change her dialogue and even her sex scenes, and they'll both be quite noticeable in the Winter City dungeon coming up.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply and, y'know, everything.

QualityCuntrol

Nov 12, 2019
Huh, yeah, that dream should change all instances of "ice queen" to "Etheryn," and is largely the same otherwise. The fact that you're not getting it while having met the requirements could be a bug, so it might be worth it to make a bug report if you still can't get it after trying more.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
As it turns out, I just got it after also playing around with the Confidence mechanic and raising it to the point you'd mentioned. Maybe it's linked to that and the wiki just doesn't mention it? It did have a small change where it described her as "Perhaps this is what Etheryn feels like inside, the Etheryn you helped create" which definitely wasn't anywhere in the normal version of the dream. Thanks again for the help there.

FalconHalo

May 28, 2018
So presumably the gentle sex scenes raise both confidence and libido. Going off the assumption that hugging her raises her confidence, does cuddling after or simply leaving give larger gains?