Do Taurs sleep standing up

Foxxling

Scientist
Creator
I've never played as one but like... ya'll sleep standing don't ya'll?

I'm attempting to make my Halloween submission more inclusive so... wassup lemme know the things I ask or I'll hauntcha

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
imagine having to sleep standing up as a human :(

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I grew up in an area where a lot of people bred race horses and I went to school with quite a few people who looked after horses. So hopefully some of this information will help.

Horses can sleep on their side, but because they're flight animals (as in fight or flight), they have to feel really safe before they'll lay on their sides. This is because in the wild, if a predator came across the horse, the time the animal took to get back onto its hooves could potentially cost it its life.

Horses will sleep standing up as more of a defensive measure, where ligaments, tendons and muscles in the legs lock together. This also has the effect of reducing the muscle function and relaxes the muscles in the legs.

Now, the thing is, horses need to lay down in order to achieve REM sleep.

So, Taurs could potentially sleep standing up, but if they were human at some stage, they would need to sleep on their side in order to achieve REM sleep and probably more often than horses. Otherwise, you're quickly getting into sleep deprivation.

Last edited:

slow worm

Oct 29, 2016
As another horse-adjacent person re: horses and sleeping while lying down, they definitely do if they feel safe, some will even build nests from the straw in their box to sleep more comfortably on. But the bugponies don't really have anything much to do with horses, though I think I recall their codex saying they evolved from prey animals? IIRC Ushamee and Ellie do sleep lying down. Also cat-taurs would definitely lie down to sleep.

If it's bed size you're thinking about, I always think of it as the clown car being just big enough all around to be cramped no matter how large or small one's Steele happens to be at any given time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tl;dr you writing Steele lying down to sleep doesn't make it not inclusive to Taurs