Development for champion's increase in Old Country culture?

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Got curious to know if there are any plans to change some stuff about how the champion reacts to things in repeatable (or not) scenes about the den, or anything related to Old Country culture after you spend some time, even if quite a bit, being a kitsune and learning the culture and interacting with everyone. Like learning language, etiquette and the likes.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Got curious to know if there are any plans to change some stuff about how the champion reacts to things in repeatable (or not) scenes about the den, or anything related to Old Country culture after you spend some time, even if quite a bit, being a kitsune and learning the culture and interacting with everyone. Like learning language, etiquette and the likes.

No, that is beyond the scope of the game.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
I get that, someone posted that in another thread too, i understand completely. The reason i thought about it is because the champion can learn things so quickly, i thought maybe it would make for a plausible enough reason/excuse for him/her to be able to get the gist of things in a shorter amount of time, like learn their language at least, maybe etiquette. I mainly had this speculation because it could make for funny scenes like someone talking in the Old Country language so the champion wouldn't understand, but the champion understanding perfectly fine and embarassing said person. Something like that.

As i said before i completely understand this, and i don't mean to be annoying about something that a creator does not deem necessary for the game. Also of course, i can just use my imagination; i just wanted to clear this speculation of mine.

Last edited:

MeIsntVeryCreative

Nov 19, 2016
The entire game canonically takes place over two-three months.
Huh that's interesting since my fastest Nine-Tail Kiyoko save was around 10X-11X in-game days, which is almost 4 in-game months (I had an obsession of making new run repeatedly and finish it in one go), mathematically 96+1+2 days at best.(still more than 3 months plus missing the Kinu weapon suggestion/sick/recovery scene and other holidays scenes as well)
As hilarious as flooding Komari's den with kits while freeing Kiyoko is, I guess that never really happened canonically I suppose? (Despite full dialogue variant from Kinu-Siblings and Kiyoko-Children(General) only fully accessible around that time, though I noticed that the requirement is actually less than 32 though I am not aware its exact number, I guess it is for gaming purpose/grind reward for the player)
PS: Funny that one of the last variant of Children(General) dialogue from Kiyoko, PC noted that they may had over 75 kits or more despite the requirement for it to happen are way lower, I guess in terms of kit count (not necessarily happened inside the orb) that still happened canonically my guess were.

As for ethic concerns (subjectively) that PC are supposed to save Kiyoko as fast as possible though I find it a lil conflicting given the timing of the orb siblings content only accessible after a significant time has passed. (Though in-universe PC was never supposed to figure out the most optimised route so it sort of explainable for it to be implemented canonically)

Also noted that Kiyoko use of the terms 'soul', one is from the physicality being ripped off dialogue and another is from the "Floof Flood" scene from Kinu's play with Mother options as far as I am aware of, despite the nature of kitsune itself, citing the floof god himself, "dead inside". (Just a minor nitpick though:p)

While I can't fully agree with the direction Kinu is heading towards (Inari route specifically, can't bring myself to pick the options for Hime route so haven't red it, one day perhaps), I suppose that is the intention behind the writing is it not, and it is far too early for me to judge the content as it is for obvious reason (I definitely would like to know thoughts behind her characters obviously if Tob is willing to bring it up). Also props to Tob for making a wood like me to feel emotionally attached for fiction characters which I haven't been able to for a long while (given that I still enjoyed the Helia/Helspawn content for what it is back then and it was even more fleshed out in CoC2 with Kiyoko, geez these gushing are started to get out of hand...or tails I guess), good work.

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I swear, before I read the text, those options looked to be opposite of any good value I would try to teach Kinu. But then the text clarified everything, and the end result is probably the best outcome
Except there is no "best outcome", there's only what YOU think is best.

TheGSone

Apr 16, 2020
True, but Young Inari doesn't really have a place in kitsune society. Not with her status. She would probably be more comfortable living as the rest of the northerners. I think she made some impulsive decisions to stay as far away from her mother as she could

Reactions: Salomon

MeIsntVeryCreative

Nov 19, 2016
I swear, before I read the text, those options looked to be opposite of any good value I would try to teach Kinu. But then the text clarified everything, and the end result is probably the best outcome
Interesting, actually I would like to know the specific event you are referring to, the only event that I can think of is the feeding birb event, ironic how an emphatic choice lead to a more pessimistic character development, the rest is kinda suggested in my opinion which is why I would like to know about yours.

True, but Young Inari doesn't really have a place in kitsune society. Not with her status. She would probably be more comfortable living as the rest of the northerners. I think she made some impulsive decisions to stay as far away from her mother as she could
True, though given their political status basically exiled from the province side of thing, plus given what we have seen how the kitsune colonies work so far particularly the Komari's den, perhaps it wouldn't be as bad as you think, hopefully. Just my personal speculation, given that the default ending for Kinu is Young Inari, suggested that Tobs has his own vision regarding the upcoming content.

The actual question I had would be whether is it right or not that PC allowed to influence kits growth given that PC, to say disconnected will be an understatement, from the kitsune society and culture, the very thing he/she is going to integrate into if one chose to accept the Keros deal. Funny that the reason that Kinu didn't live up Kiyoko's vision are none others but her beloved's 'fault', wonder how she would feel if she is aware about it.

The "outcome", in my opinion is quite clear cut that it is either the extremities of her Father or Mother side, which makes it even more controversial and raises a completely different question compare to the Helia/Helspawn outcomes mostly due to the difference of the subtext of the universe and the culture/mindset difference involved. I settled down with the lustserk ending for it simply because it is more natural to integrate into the world of CoC1, by the same logic it seems like Hime ending is the "right" choice for me yet it just doesn't felt right to me, like the PC being used some kind of gene...essence farm to benefit the kitsune society themselves.

At this pace it is likely that the province and the colonies will effectively splited into different society circle with fundamentally different philosophy regarding many subjects except Keros, on top of the PC alongside Kinu acted as the catalyst for it if one goes for Young Inari ending, just my personal interpretation.

Last edited:

TheGSone

Apr 16, 2020
Interesting, actually I would like to know the specific event you are referring to, the only event that I can think of is the feeding birb event, ironic how an emphatic choice lead to a more pessimistic character development, the rest is kinda suggested in my opinion which is why I would like to know about yours.

I was mostly talking about some tooltips. For example, in the event about vanity, I would never tell my child to strive to become the superior man-eater. Of course Kinu takes that to the extreme opposite, and settles to become a facade of innocence, but that's beyond the point.

Then, the event about love, where the tooltip suggests telling Kinu to believe in ideal love, but then the actual text goes on a more moderate view about working to achieve your dreams. That's pretty good, but the tooltip was misleading.

The one about the scarf. The option to throw it away seems really cruel, but them becomes very wholesome. Again, the tooltip is to blame.

I'm not saying that one route has lower quality than the other, but I'm too self-inserted to allow Kinu to have a sour relation with her mother, yet some of those options clash with some personal beliefs.

What I'm trying to say, this is some great writing right here.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Then, the event about love, where the tooltip suggests telling Kinu to believe in ideal love, but then the actual text goes on a more moderate view about working to achieve your dreams. That's pretty good, but the tooltip was misleading.

It's for reasons like this one that i always save and check out all options before making a final decision.

MeIsntVeryCreative

Nov 19, 2016
I was mostly talking about some tooltips. For example, in the event about vanity, I would never tell my child to strive to become the superior man-eater. Of course Kinu takes that to the extreme opposite, and settles to become a facade of innocence, but that's beyond the point.
I think I can agree with you regarding the extremities in terms of the outcomes to an extent so fair enough. I suspect that it is written this way to make room for future character development by leaving character flaws for each choice. Perhaps. (Not necessarily needed but it can be nice to have Tobs confirm or deny any of my speculation.)

I had no real objection about it as I said before that I have yet to explore the other options, perhaps another time. Though it doesn't seems off or inappropriate to me, about working for the ideals despite being possibly impratical. The event is more about the mindset Kinu should be settled with I suppose, idealistic vs pessimistic and the tooltips does suggest that.

The one about the scarf. The option to throw it away seems really cruel, but them becomes very wholesome. Again, the tooltip is to blame.
This started getting quite result-orientated. I personally thought this one is quite reasonable on how it ends. After all you wouldn't be normally cruel to your family member without actual reason and ought to seek compensation one way or another, not necessarily bad writing or misleading in my opinion as for the tooltips, I personally believe that it is better to emphasize and explore the idea behind the action rather than the outcome itself.

I'm not saying that one route has lower quality than the other, but I'm too self-inserted to allow Kinu to have a sour relation with her mother, yet some of those options clash with some personal beliefs.
Fair enough, though personally I will be avoiding being judgemental as the state of the content remained unfinished. Not everyone enjoys being emotional conflicted/tortured but for me I guess this is what makes darker material stood out for me so I wouldn't necessarily said it being bad, personal preference and all.

I personally believe that what we are seeing isn't the definitive end regarding each Kinu with their conflicting relationship counterpart and perhaps an upcoming resolution or a fitting conclusion on how each choices are justified unless Tobs said or plan otherwise but one man can hope, right?

Funny that champ is probably going to live through atleast 2/3 of his/her life without Kiyoko's presence if champ choose to become a kitsune (atleast from my interpretation) and that alone leave quite a possibility ahead, is it not? It is probably not far-fetched if champ could have an extent of influence over the colonies to say the least in possible future given the offered title and status.

Last edited: