[CYOA][Html] Monsters of the Forest

jerome292

Aug 22, 2017
I'm not saying the ant girls are bad.
But i'm pretty sure the fluff is more popular. It is for me. Those 3 are mostly reponsable. (attach files)

Attachments

• __tamamo_tamamo_no_mae_yukikaze_panettone_and_tamamo_fate_and_3_more_drawn_by_grandmastag__sam...jpg
    __tamamo_tamamo_no_mae_yukikaze_panettone_and_tamamo_fate_and_3_more_drawn_by_grandmastag__sam...jpg
    208 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Lone Wolf115

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
.4.0.02 VN 2: Adds mushroom paths and sisters paths to the visual novel. To get to mushrooms do the escape like normal, to get to sisters rescue the ant-girl.

Last visual novel release for a while hopefully. Now it's time to work on the twine release. Hope to have a twine release for the game's anniversary on the 22nd of march.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Spidereggs

Sep 4, 2021
I like your writing style a lot, I just tried the twine version and I'm quite looking forward to updates! The spider path in particular interests me (if that wasn't obvious).

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
I like your writing style a lot, I just tried the twine version and I'm quite looking forward to updates! The spider path in particular interests me (if that wasn't obvious).
Aww thanks! That's really nice to hear and made my day. Unless you suck or are the best you don't get much writing feedback. I'm glad it's working!

It's always nice to meet another arthropod appreciator. Spiders are coming but I'm gonna try to work through all the kitsune first. Working on both at once wasn't working when I tried it last. I hope it knocks all 8 of your socks off when it comes out though.

Reactions: Spidereggs

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
.4.0.03: kitsune 0 curse handling, kitsune 1 content, Added dialogue, editing. Happy anniversary! Wanted to have more done as always Word count: 229,476

A small update to celebrate the game's anniversary. Here's to another year! Hopefully I'll get more done, but I've been hoping that for a while.

Oh! I also forgot to mention here that I finished a gaiden game that's unrelated to Monsters of the Forest. It's called "To Borrow a Neighbor" It's about possession mostly. I actually bothered to get art and made some 3d renders for this one. https://tfgames.site/index.php?module=viewgame&id=2407 Better late than never to tell people about it I suppose.

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
.4.0.04: Kitsune 1 story progress up until cliff hanger, reached 250K! Sorry it took so long. word count: 250,055

I stopped on a cliff hanger because I thought it was funny.

Dislexic

Feb 6, 2021
Great game, but I have to ask, is there a way to reset the game once you reach an ending? Cus I cant see one, unless I'm being really stupid.

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
Great game, but I have to ask, is there a way to reset the game once you reach an ending? Cus I cant see one, unless I'm being really stupid.
Thanks! I'll be honest I never thought to put that in. Reload the program/file or just hit the back button a bunch. Sadly I'm on the baby programming language for twine that doesn't come with that option built in.

Dislexic

Feb 6, 2021
Thats honestly not very efficient and a massive pain in the rear. I'd include a button that lets you jump right back to the start at any time, possibly in the stats menu? Surely that should be possible since the program is just responding to simple command, right?

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
Thats honestly not very efficient and a massive pain in the rear. I'd include a button that lets you jump right back to the start at any time, possibly in the stats menu? Surely that should be possible since the program is just responding to simple command, right?
First off let me say you may be massively overestimating my coding competence. I know very very little coding, all that I know is in the game.

You are right that it's simple to link back to the start passage of the game. The problem is in resetting the variables the game uses to track player progress. Because I don't know much coding, I simply turned on a given variable by giving it a value of one and then turned it off in a later passage by giving it a value of zero. The Twine coding language I'm using (Harelowe) assumes that all not set variables have a value of zero. This works great for me, makes it very easy to add variables. However to make a reset button work I'd need the coding language to have a way to reset all variables to undefined (zero), or I'd have to manually set every one of the constantly growing 100+ variables to zero. I'm not doing the second thing, so I'll investigate if the first thing exists. I'll put it on my todo list and if it's doable I'll put it in the next version. Thank you for the feedback.

Dislexic

Feb 6, 2021
Quite frankly, I know absolutely nothing about coding, so my response was operating under the assumption that there would be a command that allowed for a complete reset of all variables. That just seems like something that, to me, would exist, simply as a matter of convenance. I could be totally wrong though, so I'll bow to your superior (regardless of how good it actually is, still better than mine) knowledge.

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
Happy anniversary everybody! This one took a while but I think it's some good stuff. It's also probably pretty rough, I'm barely scooching in under the deadline.

.4.25.01: Anniversary release! Progress on kitsune 1, up to the end of the possession content, just short of start of endings. Went up a version! Word count: 296,460
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4t8q0h3t ... .html/file

Thanks again to everybody who reads my silly game. Monsters of the forest is very much my passion project. I'm probably never going to finish, it's just too big. But the act of making it brings me such joy. Art is going to look drastically different in 5 years, writing as we know it will probably look different. But I get a lot of satisfaction out of making something so big and silly that only I could ever make dream it. Thanks for giving my silly vanity project a shot.

Game links
https://tfgames.site/index.php?module=updategame&id=1205
https://aaaac1.itch.io/monsters-of-the-forest

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
Happy late summer everybody! Finished the return to being a man kitsune 1 ending, filled out things a bit.

.4.25.02: Finished one kitsune 1 ending! Staying alive update. Cracked 300K! Word count: 310,122

Game links
https://tfgames.site/index.php?module=updategame&id=1205
https://aaaac1.itch.io/monsters-of-the-forest

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
Happy new year! (Slightly late)

.4.25.03: finished all but the hidden kitsune 1 endings. Happy new years everybody! Let's hope for a good 2024! Word count: 326,217

Reactions: jerome292

aaaac

Oct 26, 2019
What's that? an update after only a month. No it's not a sign of the apocalypse. It's a small update. All the signs of the apocalypse are signs of the apocalypse.

.4.25.04: Finished the hidden kitsune 1 ending. Small, milestone update. Minor edits. Kitsune 2 time! Word count: 336,952