Curious about encounter choices and the future of the Charmer

Drachos

Oct 26, 2015
So, one of the things I know about both CoC1 and TiTs is that if you start out the path of the tease, the early game is going to be harder. I have accepted that and it makes sense.

You are a relatively normal hero....trying to seduce things made/corrupted for sex. Of course stabbing/shooting them is going to be easier.

And through practice in TiTs and transformations and corrupted perks in CoC1, this get easier. Of course their are always fights that winning by lust is very difficult (Drider, Tenetacle Monster in CoC and definitely the Vanae in TiTs) but they tend to be the minority.

Yet between the Harpies outlusting us, and the Summoner bashing us as soon as level two hits, the starting area already seems quite toxic to using seduction as a path to victory.

So I suppose the questions are:
1) Are lust resistant enemies going to be more common in this game, meaning the Charmer will have to rely on her fear abilities and companions more?

2)On the same token, are we going to encounter damage resistant enemies (currently the Warrior destroys the Wyvern) requiring the melee classes to use tease or rely on companions? Same question for magic resistant enemies and White and Black Mages?

3)Will their be a mechanic for decreasing lust mid fight, or a way to stun enemies out of ongoing abilities? Currently the Harpies Song requires you to kill that target quickly, which is fine, but stuns would allow slower builds a way to deal with such things. ((Currently Charmer fear effects don't stop the song.))

4)Will Tease eventually have the same practice system that exists in TiTs? Or do you have a different plan for the system this time?

5) Given the POTENTIAL importance and number of other companions, how big is the planned party size?

6)The basics of a corruption system is now in the game, yet the current perk tree is built like TiTs (locked to class). Given CoC1's bigger focus on the soul and corruption, is the plan to have corrupted perks, advanced/unlockable classes that gain power from their Taint, or some other system? For that matter, CoC1 had a FEW (not many) items and perks that benefited from your purity. Will this system be expanded due to the presence of uncorrupted Gods in this universe still?

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Party size is you + 2 optional companions + the occasional guest for quests + 1 summon slot.

There will be no tease practice system like TiTS.

Harpy song is considered a stance, and all stances can be interrupted by stun or prone.

I'm sure there will be enemies that are easier for all different classes to face-off against. For the Wyvern specifically, there's actually a bug right now that was introduced with dual-wielding where stats from gear aren't giving their bonuses, and her armor set is supposed to give her a lot of armor. It's been fixed for next patch.

A few notes on the charmer though. They aren't necessarily the lust-combat class. They're more like a buff/debuff class with some lust powers. They're in a bit of a tough spot right now since the only companion is a white mage, but the next companion will be a big beefy minotaur who should be able to tank and aggro. That all being said, they will probably always be the hardest class to play.

Drachos

Oct 26, 2015
What? How would one get power from their taint? Great now I can’t stop thinking of a superhero that gets his/her power from their taint!

Ok, first I must establish that I am assuming since Taint in TiTs is 'genetic corruption' that Taint in CoC2 is either the "Corruption of the Soul" or "Corruption of the magic" where soul in this case refers to what makes us Sapient and empathic, where as magic is more the mystical divine kinda deal that allows Mages and Priests their powers.

As genetic corruption doesn't make a whole lot of sense in CoC2 and just plain 'Corruption' existed in CoC.

As for how this can lead to power....their is a long history of the path to darkness being the quick route to power. Its also part of why the demons changed. And why Fera sided with them, the apparent strength that demons had. Their were several perks in CoC that required you to be tainted to gain and use.

*Goes into game* I somehow didn't notice till now its called Corrupting in CoC2 like it was in CoC1. However the points above still stand, although I suspect it was a confusion issue.

Harpy song is considered a stance, and all stances can be interrupted by stun or prone.

But not Terror? I suppose I should ask what the Terror effect is supposed to represent, if its a "I am scared but I am still able to act, just with less effect" or if its "I am terrified and running around, unable to contribute for a round."

I'm sure there will be enemies that are easier for all different classes to face-off against. For the Wyvern specifically, there's actually a bug right now that was introduced with dual-wielding where stats from gear aren't giving their bonuses, and her armor set is supposed to give her a lot of armor. It's been fixed for next patch.

My experience was just with an Orc Warrior single wielding the basic weapon that comes with the class. 1 round of abilities, a second attack and maybe a second rend and its very dead. Meanwhile the stance means our current companion is safe. Lost to the Harpies with that Orc occasionally, but never the Wyvern.

Admittedly the Wyvern maybe intended to play the role of the Imp and Goblin in the first game....the easiest encounter.

A few notes on the charmer though. They aren't necessarily the lust-combat class. They're more like a buff/debuff class with some lust powers. They're in a bit of a tough spot right now since the only companion is a white mage, but the next companion will be a big beefy minotaur who should be able to tank and aggro. That all being said, they will probably always be the hardest class to play.

Fair. If you can't control your other party members abilities, a bard style class isn't as good, so being a harder class to play is expected. Once you get the tactics thing setup, it will become easier.

And I do accept you don't have to build lust based. The level up gives you the choice for single target lust, AoE stun from beauty and I can't remember the third ability, but its not lust based. However of the classes, with the possible exception of the Black Mage (which I haven't played to level 3) the Charmer is the class that interacts with the Mental stat the most. (Ignoring its active abilities, its lvl 1 passive also interacts with the mental stat, with the Stylish perkl) So, I should phrase it as:

Is the Charmer going to remain the class that focuses the most on mental damage, or will the Black Mage get more mental abilities as time goes on? Two followup questions:

1)Do you plan to have advanced classes like Fall of Eden or are these the classes we have for the whole game?

2)The game currently acts like you can go to teachers to learn abilities for coin from trainers. I have yet to be able to do that, so I assume its for when you change class. Have I guessed right or is this content still in development?

TFMaster

Ok, first I must establish that I am assuming since Taint in TiTs is 'genetic corruption' that Taint in CoC2 is either the "Corruption of the Soul" or "Corruption of the magic" where soul in this case refers to what makes us Sapient and empathic, where as magic is more the mystical divine kinda deal that allows Mages and Priests their powers.

As genetic corruption doesn't make a whole lot of sense in CoC2 and just plain 'Corruption' existed in CoC.

As for how this can lead to power....their is a long history of the path to darkness being the quick route to power. Its also part of why the demons changed. And why Fera sided with them, the apparent strength that demons had. Their were several perks in CoC that required you to be tainted to gain and use.

*Goes into game* I somehow didn't notice till now its called Corrupting in CoC2 like it was in CoC1. However the points above still stand, although I suspect it was a confusion issue.

It was supposed to be a joke but I guess that it just flew over your head. I meant taint as in the patch of skin between your butt and your crotch.

Admittedly the Wyvern maybe intended to play the role of the Imp and Goblin in the first game....the easiest encounter.

Not exactly, I heard that the Wyvern’s armor accidentally got nerfed during the gear balance and that the Wyvern is actually supposed to be a really tough opponent.

1)Do you plan to have advanced classes like Fall of Eden or are these the classes we have for the whole game?

2)The game currently acts like you can go to teachers to learn abilities for coin from trainers. I have yet to be able to do that, so I assume its for when you change class. Have I guessed right or is this content still in development?

I don’t know about advanced classes, maybe, but I heard that you can mix and match the main classes to make hybrid classes, White and Black Mage mix? Sure! Warrior and Thief Mix? Definitely!

I could be wrong but I don’t think class training from trainers is in the game yet but that’ll be how you can either change classes entirely or create a hybrid class by learning another classes abilities.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA

But not Terror? I suppose I should ask what the Terror effect is supposed to represent, if its a "I am scared but I am still able to act, just with less effect" or if its "I am terrified and running around, unable to contribute for a round."

My experience was just with an Orc Warrior single wielding the basic weapon that comes with the class. 1 round of abilities, a second attack and maybe a second rend and its very dead. Meanwhile the stance means our current companion is safe. Lost to the Harpies with that Orc occasionally, but never the Wyvern.

Fair. If you can't control your other party members abilities, a bard style class isn't as good, so being a harder class to play is expected. Once you get the tactics thing setup, it will become easier.

And I do accept you don't have to build lust based. The level up gives you the choice for single target lust, AoE stun from beauty and I can't remember the third ability, but its not lust based. However of the classes, with the possible exception of the Black Mage (which I haven't played to level 3) the Charmer is the class that interacts with the Mental stat the most. (Ignoring its active abilities, its lvl 1 passive also interacts with the mental stat, with the Stylish perkl) So, I should phrase it as:

Is the Charmer going to remain the class that focuses the most on mental damage, or will the Black Mage get more mental abilities as time goes on? Two followup questions:

The trainers are just unimplemented right now. You will be able to learn abilities from them as any class.

There are no plans for advanced classes per se. We are planning on having sets of powers that you can gain that follow a theme, say paladin or red mage. You will still be one of the starting classes, though. It's worth noting that the only strict differences between the classes combat-wise are perks and what stats you can put points into on level up. You get free powers, but any class can get these powers through the trainers as well.

Reactions: Run That Fade

Drachos

Oct 26, 2015
Thank you very much for answering all my questions.

The way the trainers work is far different from what I expected and I actually love that flexibility.

I suppose my final question is are we going to see more trainers? Or for that matter abilities as Quest rewards? The ability of the system you have created allows some characters like Akbal to sell you abilities, and due to the limited amount of abilities you can equip (from what I gather, I maybe reading that wrong, but it seems like you are limited to 5 powers) leads to vastly different characters depending on Play style and who you make friends with.

Reactions: Xanfaus

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I suppose my final question is are we going to see more trainers? Or for that matter abilities as Quest rewards? The ability of the system you have created allows some characters like Akbal to sell you abilities, and due to the limited amount of abilities you can equip (from what I gather, I maybe reading that wrong, but it seems like you are limited to 5 powers) leads to vastly different characters depending on Play style and who you make friends with.

I doubt we'll see new trainers in the same sense as the three in Hawkethorne are, but it's definitely possible (and very much so planned!) to get new talents from quests and NPCs. For example, there's an event I'm writing for the forest where you encounter the spirit of a long-dead magician and can learn a forgotten type of magic from him.

yummyxincubus

Jul 16, 2018
Is it possible that the summoner in Corruption of Champions 2 can be made into a companion like how you made Kiha from the first game your lover?