Corruption of Champion 3?

Lee@Duva

Oct 15, 2015
Good evening everyone. My name is Lee Duva. I'm in aspiring Game dev. Who learning how to use game engines, such as UE4,Rpg maker, TyranoBuilder. I have a question,for Fenoxo and Savin. 4 years ago i found this site and played Corruption of Champion. I enjoyed it very will, played it almost everyday. I'm not sure if the game was completed. On the Smutasuar, it said what the ending was but no matter how much i tried i couldn't, get to the last boss. After that i enjoyed TiTs and was a patron, for awhile, into financial reasons stop me. Anyway on to my question. Once i get good enough to make games. Is it possible for me to make Corruption of Champion 3? Or rather just the name of it? You see, im a fan of classic rpg. Such as Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2,Tyranny,Pillars of Eternity, etc.... I wouldn't dare use existing characters such as Nieve, Phylla, Amily, and Helia of COC 1 or Cait and Kyoto of COC 2. Nor will i use the worlds of COC 1 and 2. It will be a new world. I may use a similar plot, of COC 2 where a being from Mareth travel from a portal to the new world. Either, that are the corruption from Mareth, itself is spreading to Exisos(the name of the world, it place in). I know i can't ask without giving something back. So my second question, would be what do i need to prove, and pay to get to use the COC license?

Koshka

Oct 2, 2015
Don't want to sound offensive or discouraging, but... with all those "aspiring" and "once I get good enough"... wouldn't it be better to try your hand at making your own game, instead of taking the big name aaaand... again, don't want to sound offensive, but it's just... kind of sounds like you just want to take that big name for your game... and there's already SO MANY grandiose-ambitious projects that end up being dropped by their authors... Maybe it's better to leave it to professionals and try your inexperienced hand at something lesser, until you'll become more experienced at that and will get a better understanding at how things should work?

Lee@Duva

Oct 15, 2015
Because the game im planning to make, is to similar to what Corruption of Champions. Transformative items, corruption,system, different fetish, and sexual orientations. Chances are i be at best(if i do make this game) it would compared to it as CRPG version of it. At worse i be accuse of copying it. Which would technically be true. Hence my curiosity of getting permission on the name. I wouldn't really call it Corruption of Champion 3. It would be more like Corruption of Champion: Exisos. Are along the line of it. Kind of like Planescape: Torment and Torment Tides of Numenera. Also because I'm unknown is the reason why i ask. It would be easier to promote it. But then again that would be more reason For Fenoxo and you to denied me. For quality control.

Gizmo1206

Aug 28, 2015
also the fact CoC2 doesnt even have a "release version" yet let alone the story isnt complete,not a writer but id think it would be hard to make a sequel to a game that current doesn't have a ending yet

Lee@Duva

Oct 15, 2015
Don't want to sound offensive or discouraging, but... with all those "aspiring" and "once I get good enough"... wouldn't it be better to try your hand at making your own game, instead of taking the big name aaaand... again, don't want to sound offensive, but it's just... kind of sounds like you just want to take that big name for your game... and there's already SO MANY grandiose-ambitious projects that end up being dropped by their authors... Maybe it's better to leave it to professionals and try your inexperienced hand at something lesser, until you'll become more experienced at that and will get a better understanding at how things should work?

No offense taken and yes you correct, i probably should try something smaller. But there no reason why i shouldn't ask. After all i did said that once I'm ready i would try it. That could be 10 years from now

Lee@Duva

Oct 15, 2015
also the fact CoC2 doesnt even have a "release version" yet let alone the story isnt complete,not a writer but id think it would be hard to make a sequel to a game that current doesn't have a ending yet

That is correct. But instead of COC 3. Would COC: Exisos be better? It wouldn't be a sequel to any of the COC. And it wouldn't be a Spinoff either if none of the original characters show up.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Yeah i guess i could do that. Just please don't sue if seems to similar to COC 1 and 2
Just so you know: game mechanics can't be copyrighted, only characters and settings (and by that I mean very precise settings: ou can't make a game that happens in Equestria as it is in MLP:FiM for example, but you can make a game that happens in a pony kingdom whose name is different). Which is why so many games share identical mechanics.

Reactions: Lee@Duva

coldmonkey

May 11, 2016
I don't know if this is a bit early or not, but I've been thinking about what CoC4 would be like. I've come up with some ideas already, if anyone wants to hear them.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
Thought I mentioned this but I might not have actually hit the post button. CoC, the original, is open source. If you want to cut your teeth why not start out by making your own mod? Several people on this forum and others have done just that.

Making your own game from scratch, much less trying to write a sequel to someone else's, is a huge undertaking that you're not likely to follow through on. Making your own CoC mod is a more manageable start.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
They're all quite bad, I agree, but the source code was released for people of this sort who want to try their hand at it but don't have...well, anything they need to get started.

Lee@Duva

Oct 15, 2015
Thought I mentioned this but I might not have actually hit the post button. CoC, the original, is open source. If you want to cut your teeth why not start out by making your own mod? Several people on this forum and others have done just that.

Making your own game from scratch, much less trying to write a sequel to someone else's, is a huge undertaking that you're not likely to follow through on. Making your own CoC mod is a more manageable start.

I thought about it, but I wasn't Sure if Fenoxo would approve.

sunblaze

Jul 29, 2017
The problem is not really that the CoC-mods are bad but that their quality is extremly variable. There are good and excellent additions that you will love, and others that are just horrible and annoying.
And that is all without mentioning any bugs.

They are playable and even enjoyable, but more dependable quality management would help anytime. Matter of opinon if thats worth your time. Try it and you will see!

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
It's not that every single bit of content in them is bad so much as the general spirit of the additions. Like the prologue that one of the most popular mods added, for instance. It's completely superfluous, lasts 3 days, and has no real content other than "foreshadowing" (read: outright spoiling with subtle hints) dialogue. That's an addition that entirely misses how perfectly succinct and mysterious the original game's introduction is.

Then you start seeing how people just added in all the murder-boner options that were rejected by the devs.

Every once in a while there'll be a new character or enemy type or QoL changes like not gating the acupuncturist behind fucking her daughter but the mods all tend to give off the feeling that the people making them haven't got a clue (or just want to patch in a bunch of banned fetishes).

Dark67titan

Mar 26, 2016
As a game development student it really does sound like your just trying to cash in on the name, it is fine to take inspiration from it but at least wait for more experience in your skills and try your own thing

Reactions: Emerald and Chame