Computer help please~

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
I finally own my first desktop computer!
*Trumpets sound*
(Always have been using laptops since I was 11).
Only problem is that it's a hand me down piece of garbage from a friend...

System
4096MB RAM
DAC Type: Internal

Not an amazing start, but it IS a start.
I would like any info on upgrading what I currently have?
In the next 3-4 months I plan to replace bit and pieces.
Like a new monitor, Desk, Chair, Keyboard.
I also would love to be able to use 64-bit graphics if possible as well as increase my amount of RAM, even if that means replacing the entire hard drive.
Out of all the places I know online, and between all the friends I have that I know suck with electronics (me included) I decided to ask 2 forums.
The Fenfen Forums, as well as a let's say more....G-rated forum.
I trust the people in both, and expect any knowledge from the local PC Guru's we may have present in each! <3

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
64-Bit Graphics: No such thing. If you want a 64-Bit OS you can get that but you'd also need a 64-Bit CPU. If you want to take advantage of the new OS and all its features you'd need a new GPU and more RAM. And you'd need a new motherboard and power supply to support all that.

In other words, you'd be upgrading every single part and it'd be like building a new computer. And you didn't put your budget.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
At most, I make an excess of around 300-400 dollars to spend on myself a month after paying for bills etc.
Not that my budget matters, since I planned to work on building a PC from this anyways.
I just needed a base to start with was all?
I can use google to find average knowledge and all, but I just wanted advice and such from people with personal experience on what is needed for what, and the best way to do it.
I tend to not always trust everything I find online when money is on the line.
That is why I'm using 2 different forums, 1 friend, and 3 relatives as reference to compile something substantially accurate?

Xganonx

Jul 3, 2017
I have built 4 computer myself recently 2 for friends and 1 for myself.
The best thing to do first is to think about what you are planning for, gaming, general use, ECT. After this figure out a budget that you would be willing to spend based on what you want it for.
One good site I use to plan my builds is
pcpartpicker.com
It makes sure all the parts are compatible and gives you an estimated price.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
You need to say what you'll be using the PC for. What kind of games will you be playing, and at what resolution? Do you want high refresh rate?

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
welp that thing sure is a potato... yeah if possible I'd look into upgrading OS to a 64-bit version (32-bit limits the ram to around 3-4 gigs even if you have more than that!), more ram, and a better graphics card.

Kei

Aug 29, 2015
Things we need to know is your motherboard's model because pretty much any upgrade needs to be compatible with it. Truth be told, depending on the model it would be better to just assemble a new one from the start.