CoC2 and Baldur's Gate 2

cobra

Aug 29, 2015
So I was replaying BG2 after a decade of last playing it then after the first ten minutes it suddenly hit me. I was like "Holy Shit! Jon Irenicus is Kasyrra!" especially in terms of background, personality, and motivations as least what we do know about her at this point in the game. Just without being the flirty demoness stic to go with it especially on an adversarial path.

Tarnakus

Oct 31, 2020
Jon tries to save himself and sister (and still become god) - Kas wants real children.
Jon wants PC soul (not really PC, just soul of god kid) - On Rivalry path Kas is similar (Kas wants specifically PC soul) - On Romance path I'm not that sure any more.
Jon was revered mage and Queen lover - Kas was more of Paladin/Magic Knight and general, her mother arch-mage called her "dumb brute".
Jon background motivation is power hunger - he wanted to become god and that end up in almost killing him, his sister and getting exiled by elf's.
Kas on other hand wanted to protect her people and city. Leaders of said city fucked them up and changed into demons. At the begging she fought with demons - she got capture, tortured and turned.

Beyond the generic "I want your soul PC" I don't see similarities.

Last edited:

Tarnakus

Oct 31, 2020
I just thought they were similar , not exact.
Then what is your definition of similar?
For example how they backgrounds are similar?
especially in terms of background
One was power hungry mage, that because of his action end up where he is now - second was "dumb brute" that wanted to protect her people and got forcefully turned into demon.
How they similar here?
My point again:
Beyond the generic "I want your soul PC" I don't see similarities.
So can you give an example where you see those similarities? I would like to understand why you thought like that but as my previous post shows - I consider those two vastly different characters especially in personality, motivation and background.

cobra

Aug 29, 2015
The similarities I saw was wanting to become some kind of perceived whole again by taking the pc's soul, a fall from grace into something twisted that was stripped from them as involuntary that may be, and this last one is portably debatable but developing a evil god complex, going on a power trip, and doing a bunch of random pointless evil shit that don't serve both their goals in the long term meant to serve more as distraction for the pc's party.

Emily Smith

Apr 20, 2021
From what I played she wants champs soul for her to have real children, plant the soul in her womb and have champs child.. that's on the romance path and she admits it to champ.

Reactions: Tarnakus

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I don't know Baldur's Gate so I can't comment on similarities or lack thereof, but Kas doesn't really want to 'become whole' again, she wants real children but she likes the power and freedom from restraints that come with being a demon. It's more 'I want to stay as I am but I also want this One Little Thing I currently can't have'.

As for 'random pointless evil shit', what Kas does may not always appear to provide her with a material advantage but everything she does is advancing her long-term goals. She wants the Champ's soul to become stronger than it already is because that means more power for the ritual she's hoping to perform with it. Narratively it's quite useful because it means Kas as an antagonist has a reason to show up, banter with us, fuck us and not try and kill us the instant we lower our guard, but also has a motive to cause problems that we have to overcome. Every challenge she throws at us that we need to become stronger to resolve means our soul gets that much more magically useful to her in the long run.