Chronicles of Lonvenholm. Updated 5/27

Naas

Feb 1, 2016
Still looks to be a bunch of grammar/periodic phrasing errors present, some flow issues (thogh far less than before) but that said I'm rather fussy. There's also some grammar issues on the ability tooltips, that said it'd be easier to fix with a transcript of all the text as opposed to writing it out again.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
Still looks to be a bunch of grammar/periodic phrasing errors present, some flow issues (thogh far less than before) but that said I'm rather fussy. There's also some grammar issues on the ability tooltips, that said it'd be easier to fix with a transcript of all the text as opposed to writing it out again.

Dayumn, Naas is not amused :)

Well, fussy or not - I can use your suggestions as an EXP for my meager writing skills or just bounce some ideas off them. Either way, it's a boost for us. Check your PM's.

We need to devote more time to the interface issues to make player's eyes bleed less (texts are included too) before Patreon's start, but I'll try to carve out some time for the narrative improvement.

Lithophene

Mar 11, 2016
A quick bump with a preview of our new party roster.

Oh, dang.  :parrot: That's definitely an improvement and meshes well with the theme for the dialogue/text boxes. It's a lot sleeker and looks more manageable now too! Either the inventory/armor slots are new, or I just didn't notice them before but that's definitely interesting. Edit: I don't know how I feel about the font being used though. Not sure if it's a placeholder or not, but it just throws me off to see "Rolf" written out that way when I'm used to seeing it the other way,  y'know? It's literally just the name's font bothering me.

If you don't mind my asking, where on the list of things y'all are working on is the MC creation/customization? Are there any plans for the PCs sprite to appear on screen during dialogues? Or is it more for the purpose of battles/inventory management? I noticed there's a more stylized art for the actual battle sprites, so I figure unless there are plans to have certain preset ... character portraits, it would clash with the other characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
Oh, dang.  :parrot: That's definitely an improvement and meshes well with the theme for the dialogue/text boxes. It's a lot sleeker and looks more manageable now too! Either the inventory/armor slots are new, or I just didn't notice them before but that's definitely interesting. Edit: I don't know how I feel about the font being used though. Not sure if it's a placeholder or not, but it just throws me off to see "Rolf" written out that way when I'm used to seeing it the other way,  y'know? It's literally just the name's font bothering me.

If you don't mind my asking, where on the list of things y'all are working on is the MC creation/customization? Are there any plans for the PCs sprite to appear on screen during dialogues? Or is it more for the purpose of battles/inventory management? I noticed there's a more stylized art for the actual battle sprites, so I figure unless there are plans to have certain preset ... character portraits, it would clash with the other characters.

Yea, it’s still work in progress, fonts included. Our last changes are aimed more for replacing alpha interface with more beautiful parts and making the UI more comfortable to use. I’ll tinker with the font a bit later, need to fix some weird bug. Apparently, after adding an icon to the game, it doesn’t want to execute on win x64 platforms with avast installed. FML ><

Inventory slots are a little more than placeholders for now, more like a foundation for next feature packs with loot and progression. Roster sprites for common soldiers will be replaced with stylized icons of their corresponding classes. We want to use something like rock-paper-scissors vulnerability feature in the future. I don’t know, if those icons will be finished before the release tho.

The initial Patreon release will get an option to name your alter-ego character. All other options for PC customization and appearance will have to wait. Well, our art sorceress already chewed me out about wanting too much features in this release. Can’t actually blame her, we adopted a fast pace this last month. So, I can’t tell you even rough dates/updates for all those features.

For now, the plan is pretty simple – launch the Patreon page with our latest release on it, then take a step back and resolve some real life issues. After that we’ll see how more than a tl;dr reaction the game has, and work from there.

Naas

Feb 1, 2016
Sorry for the vanishing act had to deal with a few things, I'll pour over the text in the next couple of days. The new UI stuff looks good for the most part though.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
Sorry for the vanishing act had to deal with a few things, I'll pour over the text in the next couple of days. The new UI stuff looks good for the most part though.

Oh, don't worry, we are still preparing for the release. The rough date for it is around this weekend.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
Fourth and the last of mini-updates is live. You can get the latest version on our Patreon page. We decided to name it alpha 0.1 to avoid mistaking it for one of the earlier releases and mark it as our first wide public update.

So, what’s new?

Art/interface section

• ·         A new army roster interface to match our main graphical theme.
  • ·         A few tweaks for menus like options and confirmation boxes.
  • ·         We upgraded our combat background with some details.
  • ·         A small upgrade for the credits section with some new names in it.

Options/Features section

• ·         A new option to change speed of the narrative blocks.
  • ·         A new option - capitalization for actor’s name.
  • ·         A new option to name your character in the beginning of the game. Old saves will be incompatible with this release to avoid possible bugs due to changes in logic. New saves will hold PC’s name in their loading/save field. Don’t worry, I’ll come up with adoption mechanic next time something like this happens.

Tweaks/Fixes section

• ·         I tweaked the combat damage text a little: changed the font and slowed down floating speed a bit. Also, allied damage numbers will float towards upper-left corner to avoid confusion in situations like counterstrikes, where both units take damage.
  • ·         Some minor animation fixes for Rolf (attack path for the blade) and Eileen’s (defense animation, arrow’s fall) combat sprites.
  • ·         An animation fix in the combat scene, checking for the last unit standing was arranged too early. That resulted in a combat scene ending before all proper animations of attack and defense could be played.
  • ·         Minor fixes for loading screen mechanics and routines.

You want to see more content rather than fixes and tweaks, I know. The second prologue is on its way, roughly around 25% mark for completion.

As for our general development vector, I’ll prepare monthly posts with goals and progress for everybody on our Patreon page along with questions & answers section. This way you can check what’s going on without being a patron. Btw, April -> May goals are already posted.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
A quick bump with some info on upgrade logic for upcoming patches.  The first "tech" roll out is scheduled on the weekend.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
Tech update is out and version alpha 0.1a is up! Get it on Patreon page.

Change log:

Narrative section

• ·         Changed interface behavior during interactive choices. The main window will be shown and active, so you can use save/load or other menus.
  • ·         Added instant text speed via 5 fixed position slider. Please, check this option – due to changes your default speed will be set to the slowest variation, if you have old saves on your PC.
  • ·         Corrected a bunch of typos and badly constructed phrases.

Interface section

• ·         Tweaked a few interface panels to have a common theme and discarded some placeholder elements to better mesh between different elements.
  • ·         Option screens for in-game and menu variations are unified in style and appearance.
  • ·         Killed some of the old files to clear some space.

Combat section

• ·         Played around with attack animation speed, sped up them up for about 20%.
  • ·         Due to internal logic malfunction, jump animation followed wrong algorithm. Fixed the problem, now jumping should be a little more fluent.
  • ·         Changed fall speed for jump-ins to be more consistent.
  • ·         A few small tweaks to attack and jump animations.
  • ·         Fixed typos on stat % affection for some skills.
  • ·         Added fade for smoother transactions from the combat screen.

Now, what to expect further? We are content with overall development so far and want to focus on creating new content with one exception. We heard your opinion on the first sex scene, so we’ll build second prologue with a classic VN approach for sex.

During the next week, I’ll post first Q&A block on Patreon to keep all info in one place. Looks like we’ll need a FAQ section for the future. Next content update is scheduled for mid/second half of May.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
[SIZE=12pt]A quick bump, I updated the compendium info hub on the Patreon page with upcoming features and a progress report. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The second origin point will be released around May 14th.[/SIZE]

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
I like how different aspects of the game will have an impact on your characters look. Will you be able to choose which outfit you wish to where at any given time?

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
I like how different aspects of the game will have an impact on your characters look. Will you be able to choose which outfit you wish to where at any given time?

We want to put this point up in one of the polls. Personally, I am all for unlockable outfits, which you can use, regardless of actual active gear on the character.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
It’s time for the content update with the second prologue and some general tweaks to hit the roll-out stage. I altered my writing to make an experiment with narrative style and flow, hope you like it!

If you are new to this project, let me give you a quick heads up – “Scout” tier patrons will get their hands on the update on 20th of May and free public release will catch up to the current version on May 27th.

Now, what’s next?

The third origin point will focus on experimenting with the atmosphere in the narrative block. I try my best creating different moods throughout the prologue, from exploring ruin’s eery auras to sneaking into the cute department.

Looking at packs of questions about Chronicles of Lonvenholm’s availability on platforms other than Windows, we can’t promise support for your favorite OS soon, but I can’t simply ignore all of them. So, our team, decided to try and sidestep the issue by arranging a web version of Cols. It is not a big distraction to hinder the development for the next origin, and at the same time, web-based release can serve as a nice teaser until we finish prepping the game to run on a number of major platforms out there. A fair warning – web means higher compression for materials and a lower quality, but we’ll try to keep degrading to a minimum.

I’ll get you a more detailed version of the plan with info about the older origin points in the upcoming May – June goal post, stay tuned!

As always, your feedback is encouraged and greatly appreciated!

Change log:

Narrative section

• ·         New prologue chapter more focused on action and quick-paced narrative with the first pure-text combat scene. Current release concludes non-magical origin point set for CoL.
  • ·         A requested feature, full textbox concealment. By default it’s bound on the right mouse button.
  • ·         We used a more classic approach to the sex scene this time around; let’s see how you react to this variation.
  • ·         A few new treats from our visual artist and a slight update for existing backgrounds. You know the usual, epic type. Damn, I want to reach the art goal faster to commission more work.
  • ·         A pack of new tracks from awesome composers found their way to set up the right mood for reading.

Combat section

• ·         A new combat sprite for Eileen with full set of basic animation.
  • ·         XP and talent system is here for a trial run. Each battle will reward all of your officers with experience, active characters get a bonus for participating + a bit of extra for combat performance. You don’t need to play the noble’s prologue again to get the corresponding XP, start of chapter one will serve as an equalizer.
  • ·         New skill sets for Eileen and your alter ego are ready for prologue’s challenges.
  • ·         Fixed a jump-in position of the bottom line for melee attacks.

Interface section

• ·         A new talent window in the roster menu to support the talents/perks feature.
  • ·         Fixed a bug with sliders sometimes being stuck in the “zero” zone.
  • ·         Fixed a bug with incorrect placement of soldiers after picking up an active soldier, failing to place it properly, then successfully dragging and dropping another already chosen unit in the same squire.
  • ·         Fixed a bug in the roster, Rolf’s HP bar was occasionally stolen by your alter ego.
  • ·         Tweaked font size for some buttons.

Keliar

Feb 22, 2016
Public release is up for grabs! Version is updated to 0.2a

This version features a new prologue chapter with a more action oriented storyline and a pack of yummy tracks.

You can get it directly or from our Patreon page. Don’t forget to check out May -> June goals and Android version!

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
Thanks for the update!

I like the new prologue chapter!