Character Customization in the form of Mechanics & Player Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hama

Apr 24, 2018
Hey, folks.

So, as you may have noticed, CoCII's been announced. I figure that this is an excellent opportunity for me to drop in and share a few of my thoughts about gameplay mechanics—mostly combat—and a few of the things i thought worked or didn't work in TiTS and CoC. I expect that most here won't find this subject too interesting, but if someone wants to have a discussion about this sort of thing I'll be happy to oblige. I'll pepper this post with various suggestion about what I think could be improved upon, but ultimately I recognize that a direction has already been chosen regarding where to take the game, and that systems are already implemented for these things. I understand keenly how unfeasible it is to start changing things up at such a stage, so take these ideas with a grain of salt.

Distinctive Characters

My primary grievance with TiTS—that players don't have enough incentive to get out into the world and actually explore—is being addressed for CoCII, so I am pretty happy about that.

However, something else that worries me greatly is the amount of agency the player will have over their character and their interaction with the game's systems. I am a firm believer that these games are at their best when they mix game mechanics with quality writing. Having been around since the early days of CoC—which, in my opinion, did that excellently—I was thoroughly annoyed with the way TiTS did this. Let me explain.

In CoC, the player character was a blank slate which you could do more or less anything with. You could be practically immune to lust damage with the right of perks, or you could be a total nymphomaniac—and best of all, the system gave you multiple ways to go about these things. My favorite character was a level 1 character achieved by a mix of playtime and the character editor, back when that still worked, featuring maxed attributes in everything, a lust resistance deeply in the negative, and a ton of lust-inducing perks and a bunch of stuff that just let her hit harder. The result being a barbarian type character that dealt out a ton of damage after ramping up, but would quickly crumple when hit with lust attacks, with battles quickly and decisively swinging either way in a way that was very much different from other characters. Despite the simple combat system, mechanics and player customization options were in place that allowed us to build characters with some pretty distinctive playstyles, especially if you had a measure of attention to detail. And while we're on the subject; the more fluid stat system and its interaction with victory, losses and exploration and so on was a great way to give feedback to the player—which is something that is massively important in a game that is all about titillating the player. Losses felt like losses, victories felt like victories, and training/exploration stat boosts felt like progression. Sensitivity will forever be the best stat.

This is not the case in TiTS. TiTS gave us level-locked stats and scarcely any player choice in regards to perks. We get to choose whether we want to be good at melee, ranged, or lust combat, and the class we chose just provides some meager measure of utility—and not very interesting utility at that. Worse, certain perks are forced on us as part of each level up, giving us stuff mostly just for the sake of giving us stuff. Some of those class perks are alright, I suppose, but others are either just flat out boring, as they change nothing interesting about the character save by giving some stat boost or another, or even straight up unwanted. I believe one class even gets a perk that buffs Willpower by a measure of a different stat—but what If I happen to like having 0 Willpower? And then there is the deterministic approach of, "would you like melee or ranged perks?", essentially having you make a single choice at the start of the game, and then continuing down that path for most of the rest of your character progression, with only an occasional choice breaking away from the mold. Why would anyone want to mix melee and ranged perks? And if you are doing a lust character, you don't really have to care one way or the other in any event, except for the occasional scenario where you have to use physical attacks because killer robots.

TiTS, essentially, had no real player agency when it came to mechanics. All you could decide on was a stereotype. This is not fun, engaging, or interesting in any way, shape or form.

The stats in TiTS have similar issues of being deterministic and uninteresting, and odds are that you'll just up the ones that feed into your chosen stereotype. Im not sure what the reasoning behind this stats system is, but I disagree with it vehemently. One critique I understand about CoC's way of handling stats is that you could just grind them to max easily. But I say: so what? Losing is as much fun as winning (or not, depending on your preferences—personally, I like a mix), so let players be in charge of their own damn statistics instead of arbitratrily gating them. If that lets player create OP characters... so what? The point of these games is to enjoy ourselves, and the way TiTS handles the stats system is not, in my opinion, conductive towards that. I've used CoC to create overleveled characters with terrible stats and viceversa, as well as characters with massively unbalanced stats—having huge evasion and terrible hit points can be a lot of fun, I'll have you know.

Tangentially related, I'll link you this video about good attribute design, for those who care about the subject enough to watch a lengthy video:

My point is this: weaknesses are more interesting than strengths. This is true in writing, in gameplay, and in real life. Creating interesting game systems requires understanding and leveraging that, and TiTS... doesn't.

So, what I am leading up to is this: I am worried that CoC2 will take more heavily after TiTS than CoC, with what seems to be a rigid level-locked system that, while offering greater customization than TiTS, nevertheless falls short of giving the player agency. Or thats my initial impression, in any case—we're still early in the development process, after all.

Classes and Abilities

So, I like some of what is being done with the classes. I think having classes in the first place is questionable, but being able mix and match what skills you like is a good thing that could lead to some seriously interesting combinations, depending on the merit of the individual skills. Of the ones currently implemented, I am most sceptical about Bolstering Dance and Guarded Stance—being just a simple toggle, they face the problem of either the combat is lengthy enough to waste a turn activating it, or it isn't. In either case, they're not going to be too exciting to use. I understand that enemies will be able to knock you out of these, but that just makes them all the more questionable as abilities. If they had an active component in addition to just activating their passive benefit, they would be a lot more interesting—for instance, Guarded Stance could immediately grant you a whole bunch of aggro, or it could give you even stronger resistances on the turn it is activated. Also, when activated, the ability UI should show that they active, and deactivating them should not cost you your turn. I'd take inspiration from Diablo 3's Monk Mantras when considering these kinds of abilities!

Anyway, about the ability system itself: Again, I like the prospect of being able to swap out abilities from among any class once you've earned that. However, I don't much like that they are locked to the 1 At-Will / 2 Recharge / 1 Encounter / 1 Day formula. Why lock the player's options in this way? If the player wanted to run 5 At-Will or 5 Day abilities... why limit them? Oh, maybe you could do some cheesy stuff with that kind of setup (but is that necessarily such a bad thing?), and sure, you could then do something like taking 5 Recharge abilities, and that would be pretty powerful, especially with how the system is set up now. I'd argue that you'd then be losing out on having power spike abilities in the form of the Encounter and Day abilities, giving you no recourse for when things turn bad. Provided that the Encounter and Day abilities are themselves powerful enough to warrant having access to in the circumstances where you do need them, I think that this would be less of an issue. A measure of limitation is good, but there is merit to having greater freedom. But I digress.

Player Weaknesses and Party

Like I mentioned before, weaknesses are more interesting than strengths. I like making multiple save games and experimenting with different stuff, knowing that one character goes weak in the knees at the smell of minotaur, or that another has an extremely low health pool, or constantly having to deal with mounting lust due to a masochism perk, or whatever the hell I can come up with. This is something that can be made interesting in oh so many ways, and in a game that is focused around a party of characters, is even something that a clever player can be able to play around, given the right set of companions and perhaps a little knowledge of what you're going up against.

Now, while I am not worried about companion AI being dumb like some others may be—after all, the surprise of not knowing whether the enemy will take the one action that you know will finish you off also applies in reverse to your companions—I do have a very different concern. In a game involving more than the traditional two entities, player power is reduced, because the strength of the controllable player character relative to all of the other characters in the combat is reduced. In such a scenario, it is doubly important that the player is able to exercise agency, both in combat and in building their character. Its okay if the player isn't always the one making everything happen, but it is also incredibly important that they don't become just another cog in the machine. In combat, players need to be able to nudge things in a meaningful way, and in building their character, they need to be able to opt into perks that change the way they play, both alone and with the rest of the party. Weaknesses can be paired with strengths to really change things up, or certain strengths can stand alone (such as Twist the Knife. That one is good), or weaknesses can be purely opt-into, such as in the case of Ceraph's fetishes.

Lastly: I understand that CoCII is being developed entirely with the assumption that the player will play in a party of 3 characters. This makes excellent sense in the case of dungeons and storybased content, and I applaud that. However, I humbly request that some measure of thought be put into allowing players to adventure alone or in a party of 2 without being punished too heavily for content where doing so is more feasible, such as when just exploring zones. Doing so should of course still be harder than adventuring in a party of 3—but again, I am a great fan of player freedom, and I think that just disregarding the issue entirely is the wrong move.

I apologize for the overly long post, and thank you for reading. Please pitch in with your thoughts so that we can have a discussion about this!

TL;DR: Combat mechanics and distinctive player perks help give players agency, and getting these mechanics right is extremely important for the longevity of the game

Last edited:

Pursang

Apr 7, 2018
You've brought up a few good points and I agree with most of what you said, but:

Anyway, about the ability system itself: Again, I like the prospect of being able to swap out abilities from among any class once you've earned that. However, I don't much like that they are locked to the 1 At-Will / 2 Recharge / 1 Encounter / 1 Day formula. Why lock the player's options in this way? If the player wanted to run 5 At-Will or 5 Day abilities... why limit them? Oh, maybe you could do some cheesy stuff with that kind of setup (but is that necessarily such a bad thing?), and sure, you could then do something like taking 5 Recharge abilities, and that would be pretty powerful, especially with how the system is set up now. I'd argue that you'd then be losing out on having power spike abilities in the form of the Encounter and Day abilities, giving you no recourse for when things turn bad. Provided that the Encounter and Day abilities are themselves powerful enough to warrant having access to in the circumstances where you do need them, I think that this would be less of an issue. A measure of limitation is good, but there is merit to having greater freedom. But I digress.

There's two simple reasons for locking different kinds of abilities to certain slots, namely balance and player skill. When you have quite a few abilities that do different things and are interacted with in different ways, It's quite a bit more difficult to balance them. You have to remember the the size of the CoC2 team is pretty small, there's really no QA or testing department outside of the playerbase itself - which leads me to my next point. When balancing a game, it's better to assume the lowest possible skill-level for the average player that won't interfere with the basic design intent of the game i.e. the pace and feeling of the game itself. When you allow people to play in such a sub-optimal way that they literally can't progress the game any further because of their choice of abilities, they're going to get frustrated and either stop playing the game or get angry with the developers themselves. Keep in mind that a lot of people don't care for the mechanical aspects of the game and prefer to get from one scene to another as quickly as possible. That can be partially alleviated by "simple" numbers tuning in various difficulty settings, but messing with what kind of abilities you can take adds a whole layer of complexity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hama

Hama

Apr 24, 2018
True enough, to an extent. I'd note that, being an adult game, we here have a playerbase with a degree of "games literacy" that may be somewhat higher than what a mainstream game might have to worry about, and that since CoCII is already going to allow you to swap your abilities out it wouldnt be that big of a step up to loosen the specific restrictions on whats possible a tad. Provided that the game still defaults to giving you certain abilities as part of your initial loadout, while requiring you to purchase and unlock other abilities before being able to switch out to them, you'd have to deliberately go out of your way to build a skill loadout that is different enough from what is assumed by the devs that it might crash and burn. Also, players are generally smart enough to recognize, "woops, I made a mistake in swapping this out for that here and am now losing fights a ton, I should probably swap back." Besides, to use Diablo 3 as an example again, they do this exact thing with their skill system, and thats a much more complex system!

That being said, letting all five skillslots being freely interchangable to absolutely any skilltype is perhaps a taaad over the top, though. A more reasonable way of going about it might be to have just one skillslot that you can freely change to anything. That way you won't completely break everything, while being a whole lot less constricting.

herpaderphurr

Jan 5, 2018
I do agree that CoC player agency was a lot higher. Your complaints regarding the deterministic nature of TiTS character progression are very valid, and I do think there was a step back in that department. That said, I think that you are in like the top 1% when it comes to messing around with CoC characters: most of us did not use the save editor that much. Your lust barbarian is cool, but an edited-in negative lust resistance is hardly an intended feature.
You mention that CoC losses felt more like losses due to the stat changes. That's true, but there were also two other big elements: the loss of gems, and the super corruption rape that often resulted in pregnancy. TiTS enemies often don't take your credits when they win (which I feel is a missed opportunity to make the loss more impactful). There's also a hell of a lot less evil rape in TiTS, but I feel like that's a thematic choice in pursuit of a lighter, less depressing universe. Plus, the combat-loss pregnancies are more often eggnancies rather than live births, which take less time and feel less visceral... I think. Anyway, it's not just the stat changes which made losses feel impactful.

To be honest, I would like the option of controlling all party members in combat. It certainly bypasses the problem of player frustration when it comes to AI stupidity.

With all this said, I think TiTS is overall a better game, due to a myriad of small improvements, more likable characters, really nice lore, better-written and longer scenes, and having less unpolished content.

Reactions: Sapphire and Hama

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
There are always two concerns I see developers have when it comes to player agency via combat mechanics: worried about OP builds and worried about player's special RP snowflake unable to complete any content because their builds suck. The result: restrict player agency so players don't make all combat encounters a joke and so RP Joe can at least move past the first dungeon with his club-footed, tragic-background Champion. Though while I agree the lack of player agency when it comes to build customization sucks, I did/do like the overall combat in TiTs. However, the player can still create a garbage build that will make their life rather difficult in the future. Players can still be frustrated with the combat system AND not have their custom character.

But you cannot dismiss the concern over OP player builds. Allowing loopholes outside of cheating is a slippery slope that ends in boss fights essentially ignoring player combat stats because the devs don't want to deal with your 1000 damage gore attack. But my counter-argument to this is that a large majority of the player base save edits anyway so, don't worry about it too much.

Ignore the pre-coffee rambling bullshit that goes nowhere.

tl;dr: I liked the open class system of CoC, but I also like the Mass Effect-themed class system of TiTs. It just works for me.

Last edited:

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
ok

I believe the idea behind keeping the AI gated is to keep combat brisk for the player, with the added thing that companions are less PCs in their own right and more 2-3 autofiring skills that the player can equip. Do you want to have Cait and Cait 2 in your party and have to addedly hit the "thawk" button mindlessly in every encounter?

That said, one thing I simply do not understand is the love for CoC's system versus TiTs' class one. The class had a theme, structure and quantified perks to various playstyles. It didn't have a lot of choice, no, but within the reason of a text game built to be fairly straight forward the classes and their respective trees all play very differently from one another. CoC1 simply had soft classes, classes that a fresh, wiki-less player won't even know about. If you want to be a wizard then yeah, you're getting certain perks and also a certain background, you aren't running all over the place mixing and matching. Want to use that fat weapon? Slim weapon? All the same. You only start to remotely round out near the end when you run out of actual choices, but even then that's assuming your character's stats are high across the board. And you need knowledge before the fact to even know such options exist.

That said, CoC2's classes will likely have more impact then TiTs, simply because it's a fantasy game and instead of being various flavors of Han Solo you have the whole RPG variety pack up to snag. You'll also beable to equip talents from other classes as well with a bit of work, so you'll be hardly locked into one core archetype if you so wish. So, uh, relax.

Reactions: herpaderphurr

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
1. There will be NO way to increase your core attributes aside from levels and permanent TFs. Equipment gives derived stats.

2. Your class will determine your class perks. Swap your class, swap your class perks. All your available abilities are not tied to your class.

3. It's deliberate that you don't control your companions directly. This was tried in FoE. It was bad. They will have simple AI tactics you can tell them to do, but their independence is non-negotiable.

4. Power slots are non-negotiable.

5. The game is deigned for 3 and 3 only. The only encounters which may be tuned for 2 are some in the starting zones.

All these are deliberate design choices. You may not agree with them, but they are there for a reason.

In short: No.

Reactions: Alabaster Chimes

Hama

Apr 24, 2018
I believe the idea behind keeping the AI gated is to keep combat brisk for the player, with the added thing that companions are less PCs in their own right and more 2-3 autofiring skills that the player can equip. Do you want to have Cait and Cait 2 in your party and have to addedly hit the "thawk" button mindlessly in every encounter?

Oh, I never argued for the player having direct control over companion actions. I don't want that. I just made an observation about how the addition of other characters outside of your control shrinks the relative impact that the player has on a given situation. It is not even a bad thing necessarily, but it is something one should be aware of when designing that kind of system.

1. There will be NO way to increase your core attributes aside from levels and permanent TFs. Equipment gives derived stats.

2. Your class will determine your class perks. Swap your class, swap your class perks. All your available abilities are not tied to your class.

3. It's deliberate that you don't control your companions directly. This was tried in FoE. It was bad. They will have simple AI tactics you can tell them to do, but their independence is non-negotiable.

4. Power slots are non-negotiable.

5. The game is deigned for 3 and 3 only. The only encounters which may be tuned for 2 are some in the starting zones.

All these are deliberate design choices. You may not agree with them, but they are there for a reason.

In short: No.
Yes, I understand all of that keenly, as I started out by saying in my OP. I know why you are handling things this way. I am not saying, "all of this is bad, please change it". Hell, most of my post focuses on observations about CoC and TiTS and isn't directly related to CoCII at all. The only point you list here that I actually disagree with is intentionally limiting developer support to 3 character parties.

What I am saying is that I am concerned about the level of player agency in this game, and bringing up examples of how this has been handled in past games. I am critiquing things like TiTS' stats not because I am trying to convince you to redesign CoCII's stats from the ground up, but to paraphrase what the tradeoff of handling it in this way may be, and ultimately why I think there may not be enough player agency. Point being, as a game designer it can be very difficult to reconcile the systems you create with how players go and use them—game systems can be "on rails", so to speak, just as much as stories can, and this is generally not what players want.

That being said, I like some of what is being done with classes. The crux of my argument is that I am worried that it is not enough.

So, if this stuff is really, sincerely locked down and cannot be changed ever... Fair enough. That needn't be a problem, because there are plenty of other ways to go about addressing the actual concern I raise. Simply being able to acquire perks with meaningful impact outside of level progression—say, as part of doing certain things out in the world or whatever—would go a long way towards improving things, I think. All I want is for this game to not be creatively constrained in the same way TiTS is.

I guess what I am really asking is: please add more mechanical stuff that can interact/have an interaction with the player.

I mean, I guess thats a somethat redundant thing to ask of a game this early in development, but there you go.

Sorry if my textwall OP came off as overly combative.

Wacol

Apr 16, 2018
please add more mechanical stuff that can interact/have an interaction with the player.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
I remember the fun in CoC in collecting transformations than gave you additional options in combat (like tentacle hair for example), even when I didn't intend to use them anyway, just to fill up my special options menus.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
First of, one thing about CoC:
Once you understand the basic mechanic, you can easily make a character that has max stats and *all* perks without cheating.
Such a character is nearly never challenged and makes the game extremly easy. (I think Phoenix Tower and Lethice Stronghold are the only places that have a resemblance of challenge) That is, in my humble opinion, a design flaw, because it takes away any choice.

Another thing about TiTs:
I actually do like to mix range and melee sometimes. Makes you more versatile. Is it sub-optimal? Maybe, but so is taking some of the CoC perks. It is your *choice* to make a versatile or focused character. You said it yourself, flawes make a character interesting, so why not weakon an optimized built for some nice flavor?

And lastly:
It seems to me that in this post-Monte Cook era of RPGs the 'rule of cool' demands simplicity and spurns complexity.

I may misunderstand you, but I think complexity for its own sake is pointless. It is not the mechanics that make a person, but the character.
If you have two lumberjacks with the same skill, do you belive they are the same person? Of course not, but somehow too many people focus on the mechanics in RPGs. So yeah, complex mechanics do not make a character great.

(I rewrote the last sentence a dozend times, but I hope I could get my point across.. Kinda unfocused today =/ )

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015

Your comment makes total sense. I will say this about modern RPGs: its all about balance. I kind of want to say modern D&D went to the extreme in simplification (which led to the creation of alternate rule-sets like Pathfinder) but there are plenty of folk playing 4th ed right now having fun. So who am I to say they're wrong? As long as I don't play with them, everything is cool.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I guess what I am really asking is: please add more mechanical stuff that can interact/have an interaction with the player.

There is a reason why we chose not to support naga, taur, uniball, multi-arm, neuter, etc in the game. We are deliberately reducing player agency in this regard for a higher quality product instead of doing a shoddy big tent job.

Simply being able to acquire perks with meaningful impact outside of level progression—say, as part of doing certain things out in the world or whatever—would go a long way towards improving things, I think.

You will not be able to acquire combat-meaningful perks in any fashion except for main story quests, permanent TFs and your class. No 10% crit chance for completing a sidequest.

Hama

Apr 24, 2018
No support for naga/taur is sad, but very sensible. I'll cheer that on. However, this is the kind of thing that is beneficial for the writers, and has nothing to do with what I am asking for. I am talking purely about game mechanics.

Same thing goes for minor stat boosts. Those are entirely irrelevant, unless they come with some kind of negative trade off to balance them out—in that case, they become opt-in, a way to tweak your character while keeping them balanced around the same power level, rather than "get this to forever increase your power". That is boring. I am asking for quality systems that let the player do more of what they want with their character, rather than being limited only to what the writers want/what is expected. If you can quantify exactly what every player character will look like and perform as, then I think that that is a character customization system that has failed.

Not asking for something that can topple that entirely on its head, just for the ability to make tweaks. Bonuses, penalties, something that breaks even—whatever, I don't care, as long as things aren't set in stone. Nothing is more dull than when everything is deterministic.

If story, class and TFs will be the absolutely only way of doing this, i'll be okay with that—provided that the choices you can make in that regard matter and have a significant impact. Class bonuses alone are only good for establishing a stereotype. Things don't get interesting until you can take that and subvert it in a different direction.

Reactions: Sapphire

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
If you can quantify exactly what every player character will look like and perform as, then I think that that is a character customization system that has failed.

No that's a character customization system that's succeeded perfectly. This isn't D&D; there have to be pre-defined limits or else we can't write at all.

Hama

Apr 24, 2018
And I am asking for the option of blurring the lines of those limits, not breaking them. There's a world of difference.

Eitherway, I am sorry that you feel that way. As esoteric as this critique is, it is something that I hold rather dear.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
There is a reason why we chose not to support naga, taur, uniball, multi-arm, neuter, etc in the game. We are deliberately reducing player agency in this regard for a higher quality product instead of doing a shoddy big tent job.

You will not be able to acquire combat-meaningful perks in any fashion except for main story quests, permanent TFs and your class. No 10% crit chance for completing a sidequest.

When you say "no uniball" does that mean you'll always have 2 testicles, not 1 or 4 or 20, or that you can't have a "trap pouch"/ round, tight, small scrotum. Because if it is the latter I don't understand why.

Taur I get because unless you gate taurs out of regular sex scenes and create taur specific ones the massive change in body shapes does tend to create sex only possible with portals.

Dragonice

Oct 7, 2017
Why has Ted not locked this yet? People just don't get that the combat system is predetermined. I asked them originally myself after playing the demo if we could control companions. No they said with reason. That's that. Don't understand why people make pointless arguments. You then say oh but it is a valid argument insert reason but no this conversation has happened before so no it isn't.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
When you say "no uniball" does that mean

That means you will always have more than one testicle, unless you have none. This is entirely for plurality reasons; you can have 4 balls or a trap pouch or no balls and whatever still.

Reactions: JDeko
Status
Not open for further replies.