Character Classes :First Impresions

Doombot

Mar 5, 2016
Warrior - Currently feels the strongest, maybe bacause the first follower is a healer and it synergizes nicely. The 1/Encounter ability deals a lot of damage and his other abilities are also good (typical dps-focus class)

Thief - 2nd weakest class (currently, maybe seem weaker than it is because the cultists sand attack is just so annoying), if there is a companion that inflicts status effects on the enemies planned he/she will make Thief feel a lot stronger. The dmg penalty on fade-attack could be lower.

White Mage - It may be a long battle but a healer will most likely always win

Black Mage - has the highest dmg potencial, mostly thanks to the fire summon, while his other skills don't do the highest dmg they splash.

Charmer - Weakest class, the effects of the skills are hardly noticeble as both warsong and Alure last only for a turn. (thought that may be due to Tease attacks not being implemented yet).
Charmer seem like a Tease-support class and it makes me wonder will there be an option to make the followers also use tease attacks (when aplicable), since you can't reallly control them it would be counter productive if your character will try to win by lust but your followers will just do their thing and attack normally.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Warrior - Currently feels the strongest, maybe bacause the first follower is a healer and it synergizes nicely. The 1/Encounter ability deals a lot of damage and his other abilities are also good (typical dps-focus class)

Thief - 2nd weakest class (currently, maybe seem weaker than it is because the cultists sand attack is just so annoying), if there is a companion that inflicts status effects on the enemies planned he/she will make Thief feel a lot stronger. The dmg penalty on fade-attack could be lower.

White Mage - It may be a long battle but a healer will most likely always win

Black Mage - has the highest dmg potencial, mostly thanks to the fire summon, while his other skills don't do the highest dmg they splash.

Charmer - Weakest class, the effects of the skills are hardly noticeble as both warsong and Alure last only for a turn. (thought that may be due to Tease attacks not being implemented yet).
Charmer seem like a Tease-support class and it makes me wonder will there be an option to make the followers also use tease attacks (when aplicable), since you can't reallly control them it would be counter productive if your character will try to win by lust but your followers will just do their thing and attack normally.
We're planning on having a few "modes" that you can switch your companions between. It's totally possible a slutty companion would have a "tease mode".

Reactions: Sapphire

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
I played through the demo on all classes with the recent build, and the only one I could defeat the boss with was the white mage. Healing and a powerful attack is a damn good combo. :D I think I liked the black mage more, though, mostly because of the splash damage, which will be helpful if CoC2 has more group fights than the other games. The warrior seems decent, though the bleed feels weak to me but that could be because as a warrior I'd rather hit things hard than have them die slowly.

The thief and charmer both seemed like they'd only be good with tanking companions. I didn't want to use the thief's aggro-dropping attack because my only other party member was my healer, and the charmer's buffs just didn't seem useful.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
The flame summon is pretty good for taking damage. The only thing I think needs improvement, that I know you guys are handling is your companion.

Me laying on the ground hurt.
"Cait I need healing!"

"My life for Auer!"
Run up and bonks a minoture on the head with her staff. Minoture grabs her and starts pounding her ass. "God dammit Cait."

Run
It's fate.

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
Oh fuck me that scenario is giving me Marin Karin PTSD shivers all over again. Welp, I guess I'm always rolling a healer in this game as well then. Never put your life in the hands of a robot that can just choose not to heal you when you need it to. I can trust the computer to whomp the monster in the head with a stick, but trusting it to understand MP management, timing cooldowns appropriately and weighing whose life needs saving the most is just not gonna happen. I don't even trust humans to do that in MMOs...

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015

In Persona 3, you couldn't control party members other than your protagonist in battles so party members would do pretty much whatever they liked in a fight (within certain "tactics" that you can set for each of them individually). One such party member was Mitsuru who had ice magic, healing magic and Marin fuckin' Karin. A charm spell. And boy did she love to waste turns casting it on bosses that are immune to charm when everyone's at critical HP and 1 hit away from a gameover.

phaos

Apr 8, 2018
In Persona 3, you couldn't control party members other than your protagonist in battles so party members would do pretty much whatever they liked in a fight (within certain "tactics" that you can set for each of them individually). One such party member was Mitsuru who had ice magic, healing magic and Marin fuckin' Karin. A charm spell. And boy did she love to waste turns casting it on bosses that are immune to charm when everyone's at critical HP and 1 hit away from a gameover.

Well and equally, it's a problem that's definitely solvable by better AI design. In the FES version (whether you're on The Journey or The Answer) the AI was way better about using its abilities with a bit more sense.

phaos

Apr 8, 2018
I mean this is mostly a problem for the intro, since it's several forced fights in a row with no real recovery between or ability to get stronger. It's not even really a 'problem' unless it turns out there's some actual downside to losing at the end, the cultists themselves are easy enough to deal with even as a Dancer/Charmer even without Tease as an option so you can't really fail to get there.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
How do people succeed in the second fight as a thief? I can't seem to be able to win that, even though I use that low blow ability as much as possible.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
How do people succeed in the second fight as a thief? I can't seem to be able to win that, even though I use that low blow ability as much as possible.

Throw a Smoke Bomb turn 1, then immediately use Dirty Trick, then basic attack the same target you Dirty Tricked until it drops. It Cait causes Burning on a target and you don't have a target Staggered, switch to attacking her target.

The player can't really see it yet (due to lack of a Character Sheet right now), but the Thief has a perk called Twist the Knife which increases Attack Power by 50% against targets that are suffering a status effect. Keeping an enemy status'd and focusing them down is the Thief's key to victory.

Thi

Apr 18, 2017
You kinda have to focus the enemy with the least hp and pray that Cait will heal you ;)

edit: Savin is a ninja :eek:

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Throw a Smoke Bomb turn 1, then immediately use Dirty Trick, then basic attack the same target you Dirty Tricked until it drops. It Cait causes Burning on a target and you don't have a target Staggered, switch to attacking her target.

The player can't really see it yet (due to lack of a Character Sheet right now), but the Thief has a perk called Twist the Knife which increases Attack Power by 50% against targets that are suffering a status effect. Keeping an enemy status'd and focusing them down is the Thief's key to victory.

Huh, that worked pretty nicely apparantly, despite missing a *lot* due to the enemy blind effect. won the second fight with 6 HP :p Thanks!

Mugg

Apr 10, 2018
Wishing I lived in Sweden
One thing that jumped out at me was the bosses tease thing that can happen does 50% lust dmg (at least it did to me as a W mage). Das alot! Are tease attacks going to be more of a real threat/factor in this? That'd be pretty cool :)

Also, something that seems like it's mising is a shaman/druid type hybrid class. Something melee focused but with spellcasting ability, yeah? ..I spose you could technically just be a white/black mage and wear heavier armor and use melee weapons but I get the feeling that would just register as inneffective lol

Can I just say real quick how dope this is by the way, and how hyped I am for this to get fleshed out? Y'all are the shit :D
It's like the best parts of everything glomed together..The tile map system from TiTS, the aesthetic and setting from CoC, and the party frames and journal from FoE. So sick....

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
One thing that jumped out at me was the bosses tease thing that can happen does 50% lust dmg (at least it did to me as a W mage). Das alot! Are tease attacks going to be more of a real threat/factor in this? That'd be pretty cool :)

Tollus casts a spell there, actually. It's not a basic Tease attack, so its damage scales up with his Spellpower (which is pretty high)

Mugg

Apr 10, 2018
Wishing I lived in Sweden
Tollus casts a spell there, actually. It's not a basic Tease attack, so its damage scales up with his Spellpower (which is pretty high)

Oooooh gotcha, so is that an indication that there will be dedicated lust inducing spells / fleshed out lust combat available for Charmer style PCs eventually? or was that just an isolated incident with Tollus?

Wacol

Apr 16, 2018
My opinions on the classes:

Black mage: Currently seems to be the strongest, though I think that's partially to the additional summon party member. I think the effect will lessen, once you get more party members or summons with other classes.

White mage: Obvious choice without any other ways to heal right now (there will be other ways later, right?). Either play a white mage yourself or always have one by your side. And can even dish out some damage thanks to his skill. I just hope you can really adjust wm companions to "Only attack if everyone is at max HP", since I lost some fights just because Cait thought she was a dps class and tried to whack the enemies down with her staff.

Charmer: Well, skills don't really work, so can't say much abou that class. But at least attacking with lust damage is different from...

... Warrior and Thief: They seem too similiar right now, both being attacker classes, only that the warrior is superior. In my opinion, it would be better, if the warrior was more of a tank with defensive skills (turtle in and taunt the enemies, while his companions beat the shit out of them) and the thief a glass cannon (dual wield style with mullti-hit or attack-all properties and praying that evasion doesn't fail him).

Also, currently I'd say cooldown skills make basic attack almost useless, since they are more powerful and none of the have any drawbacks, aside from that you can only use them every second round. Get another skill for inbetween and you'll never use standard attacks again (mage classes are already there).

On the other hand, can't really make a conclusive judgement with only three fights with no way to train or equip your heroes in any way.

Khef

Sep 5, 2015
it's hard to judge the effectiveness of the thief right now, but it seems more like a debuffer than a straight damage dealer, to me. Blinds, stuns and all that : control with some damage and a backstab mechanic, where the warrior is mostly damage with some tanking (although, again, hard to judge how effective the aggro/taunt thing is so early).
I'm not convinced a pure tank would be relevant in that sort of game, so I'm more than fine with an offensive beatstick of a warrior. Also, debuffs are fun. Yay thief.

Overall, I like the classes so far. I think manaless magic is a much better fit for a game like this (and presumably easier to balance), and am quite happy to see the Charmer (always felt like a missed opportunity in TiTS).

Reactions: Mugg

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
My views largely line up with the general consensus thus far. However I am really hoping for the ability for custom builds to turn out solidly and to be able to mimic the playstyles of classes found in other games.

Violent_Peace

Sep 16, 2015
I played through a couple of the classes, mostly warrior and theif really and I don't know if this is gonna be the final draft of Coc2 or not but I currently don't like the classes thing, feels a little limiting and makes me feel like this is just Tits in coc fantasy.

No offsense to the people making this your making something good, but if your gonna make this tits in Fantasy then i don't think imma play it. I know its a really early game and mostly a demo rn but it's just doesn't feel like Coc2 to me. I'm sorry to anyone who feels offended but the classes kind feel weak and the tease class just feels thrown in there to be a little different from tits.

phaos

Apr 8, 2018
I'd like to say that the game balance feels MUCH better in the new version, Cait felt like she was better at using her heal and even as a Charmer I wasn't feeling like the tutorial boss was nearly unbeatable anymore.

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
You will be able to switch to other classes and learn their moves. They are updating the classes and customizing mastered classes will be available to you later in the game. This is not a tits clone. Their doing a couple similar things because it's a good system, which they will be altering a little more for the theme.

I'm kinda glad they're taking a cue from certain other rpgs from the strategic rpg genre with classes at least. There were a few cases where you could cross class a bit . Although, I vaguely recall that FF Tactics just did job changes and you reset to whatever your job level was. But there was no real downside to that if I recall correctly. It's been years since I played Tactics.

I found the classes to be very streamlined this time around. The classes each have their roles and honestly we can't see how they shine yet because we only have the prologue battles to test them out with. I'm sure that we'll get a better feel for strengths and weaknesses once we have actual areas to explore eventually. The tutorial is mean't to kinda show the ropes without making you seem strong or anything. Its not really good for anything beyond teaching the mechanics and giving a taste of how combat looks though. Personally I find the Charmer to be the most appealing class that I'll probably play at first. I like underdog classes like that.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
I'd like to say that the game balance feels MUCH better in the new version, Cait felt like she was better at using her heal and even as a Charmer I wasn't feeling like the tutorial boss was nearly unbeatable anymore.

Huh, the charmer was by far the easiest way to beat the endboss IMO

Just alternate between healing yourself and smacking them, easy peasy

Pursang

Apr 7, 2018
If I where to give one criticism about the various classes in the tutorial it's that seemingly many of the (notably the Black Mage's) spells seem a little under-tuned. By that I mean their spells seem to do about the same damage as their weapon attacks, which makes sense for a warrior-type character, but less so for a supposedly "blowing things up" mage, which should rely on the efficacy of its spells. Although now that I think about it, it may just be a symptom of it being a tutorial and the desired difficulty scaling.

Darkwarpalg6

Aug 28, 2015
nah, it's the charmer, and the heal does work

I haven't even tried the white mage yet
Then I have no idea what you're on about, bolstering dance is their only heal and it's supposed to be a sustain, but no healing comes. I checked it multiple times and no, the player does not heal at the start of their turn.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Then I have no idea what you're on about, bolstering dance is their only heal and it's supposed to be a sustain, but no healing comes. I checked it multiple times and no, the player does not heal at the start of their turn.
It only heals allies, as in, not the person performing the dance.

Darkwarpalg6

Aug 28, 2015
It only heals allies, as in, not the person performing the dance.
Tested it again and it doesn't heal Cait either. The healing would show up in the combat log if it was working right? There's none of it, just Cait's Healing Light and Healer's Hands.