Can't access data menu

nip23

Mar 15, 2024
since yesterday every time I click on the data menu nothing happens so I can't save or load any of my save.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Can you give more details? What platform are you on? What browser are you using? What version of TiTS? Does the hotkey work?

nip23

Mar 15, 2024
Im on version 0.9.092-PUBLIC#4723 using the fenoxo to play on chrome and the hotkey doesn't work

nip23

Mar 15, 2024
and I've tried both the data menu on the main menu and the floppy disk one next to the bust

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Try going to the main menu, then press the Data button. Can you access it that way?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I don't think this is a problem with the game directly; what little solid information I've been able to gather (of which there is precious little) implies that this is a deeper issue with a subcomponent of the browsers storage system. At least, I assume the crash report we're seeing behind the scenes is from you. I don't know if you'll be seeing the actual error message because of how it's generated, but for refernece for other people:

DataError: Failed to read large IndexedDB value

There isn't really a lot we can do about this programatically at this point. The issue isn't the data itself, it's the file it's stored in and how its accessed and we have no control over that. It MAY be possible to manually export the data and reconstitute it into something the game can load, but this would require you doing things to get that far.

nip23

Mar 15, 2024
I've haven't be seeing a error message, but what do I have to do export the data and reconstitute it.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Have you tried a different browser? Just to see if the bug is Chrome specific. I don't think you'd be able to see your saves, but the more data we have, the better.
Are you on PC or some other platform?

nip23

Mar 15, 2024
I've tried opening the data menu on opera and Firefox very things fine on both so it is a chrome specific issue.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I've been trying to test it myself and it's proven extremely fragile and unlikely to work in practice. Following this up to step 5 should make the data menu work again, but it will vanish all of your save slot data, as well as reset all of your game settings etc.

1. Load the game and then open the developer console.
2. Go to the "Application" tab, and navigate the tree menu to expand "IndexedDB" -> "Trials in Tainted Space" -> "TITS"
3. You should now see a list of entries of various things. Save slots will be named with keys like "TITS_Slot_0" through "TITS_Slot_14"
4. Expand the "value" column wide enough and you will eventually see a copy button. Do this and copy out the whole mess of characters for each slot. Save each one in a separate file.
5. Once you have the save slots copied out, go back to the tree view and select "Trials in Tainted Space", there should be two buttons. Click the delete one.
6. The stuff you've copied out won't work directly - it's compressed and needs to be decompressed. I can't find a decent online LZString decompressor and treat it as UTF-16 to do this, but if you can find one, the result should be the json that is identical to the Save To File savefiles, and should be able to be loaded as one.