Can someone explain in detail why the fur patterns are hard to implement right now?

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Like, what exactly about the Vanae markings fucked over fur patterns?

I have half a mind to go and redo it myself 'cause I *REALLY* want fur patterns, but I need to know what's wrong before I can fix it

Reactions: KidRodent and Zavos

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Fur patterns are not hard to implement--the current status effects for both Vanae Markings and Shark Markings utilize the skin accent color as the secondary color and the marking patterns are either ambiguous (for vanae) or defined by a value (for shark: stripes, spots, blotch). So if custom markings are ever to be implemented they need to define the marking's color (which may have to overwrite the accent color). Any complex color combinations or patterns should probably be avoided however, as that may make the description wordy or color parsing inconsistent (simple is best--the player can fill the rest in with imagination).

Keep in mind that any markings that cover the body (with the exception of skin freckles, since that is a skin flag instead of a cosmetic status effect) will need to remove the previous markings (like gaining Shark Markings will erase Vanae Markings if the player character had them initially). Any new patterns will require an appearance blurb as well. Currently, patterns will not show up in color parsers, so the markings are only ever noted in the appearance screen.

Alternatively, if the markings you want to create are not exclusively covering the body but you want to restrict them to just the fur/scales/feathers/etc., then it may be best to have it replace the fur/scale/etc. color entirely (like fur/feather color is "black and white", or scale/chitin/bark color is "blue spotted yellow", or skin color is "red stripped gold", etc.). The only issue with this is that every time the color is mentioned, it will be the entire string of text. Any transformation effect that changes the color of the area will overwrite that pattern. And yes, fur and feathers share the same color (fur color); scales, chitin, and bark share the same color (scale color); and skin, latex and other skin types use the same color (skintone).

So tl;dr is: Implementation is not difficult, it just depends on how you want it to be specifically. Either they are replaceable body markings or a specific color string.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Hmm, sounds doable, definetly.... IMO it is better to use the body markings, as that allows more exotic colour combinations.

Would it be possible to slightly tweak the colour parser to add mentions of markings randomly, or would that be a bad idea?

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
What Zavos said.
If they're "Not hard to implement", then why is Fen so insistent on removing marking effects from TFs that are meant to have them (Not only pickmentation but pupper poppers)? If they aren't that 'hard' to implement as a status then they wouldn't have been neutered of the effects entirely, you'd add them under some new mechanic or something, or do it all under a status like how Shark Bites did, for all I know pupper poppers could've used a similar status effect for their markings, maybe pickmentation too.

We know you can mess with the base skinfurscale colors to imitate as if you have them, but that doesn't answer the question on why there's so much adamancy regarding actually implementing the markings themselves in the game. Shark Bites did it, why can't the others?

Last edited:

Silens Phoenix

Nov 24, 2017
Perhaps because he sees it as another potential hook that would receive little/no content? How much are the shark markings mentioned in game? I know Vanae markings only show up in the appearance menu.

Though that doesn't mean that there won't be some writers who would add a little blurb for those with markings or even certain types of markings. For example, imagine how Fisi would react if you showed up with the markings of a big cat like a tiger or leopard.

I mean, all that would be needed would be like [pc.markings] and [pc.markingType] or something along those lines so that it can be checked to see if markings exist on the PC or what type (vanae, shark, other TF) and what they look like (if applicable).

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
Newbie question: is there a comprehensive list of body part code? Having that nicely organized might help writers remember to include those mods in their scenes.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Perhaps because he sees it as another potential hook that would receive little/no content? How much are the shark markings mentioned in game? I know Vanae markings only show up in the appearance menu.
*Coughs*
That's not an excuse, since Vanae markings and Shark markings don't get ANY mention outside of the appearance screen, they're literally there for aesthetic and nothing more, they are a thing that get absolutely no content or blurbs mentioning them whatsoever and yet they got in the game just fine. :/

Hook smook, if the others got in without this qualm, others should be able to as well.

Last edited:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
I've made an edit to Pickmentation for the next release that allows the user to replace/recolor/remove accent markings. Also added in the feature to add/remove body freckles.

Once again, these are purely cosmetic and only appear in the Appearance screen. They will not affect how the parsers call colors. If a writer wants to reference an accent specifically, they must first check if the character has any accent markings and then use [pc.accentColor] ("black"), [pc.accentMarkings] ("black stripes"), [pc.accentMarked] ("black striped"), [pc.accentMarkingsNoun] ("stripes") or [pc.accentMarkedSimple] ("striped") to get the desired color or marking.

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
You guys are so rad. Thanks for the link! I think I had it open but I've been goggling at the 'do's and don't's' doc and figured I'd come back to this after I had more written... but it's good to pick it up hand-in-hand.

Also I like that style for the mention of markings. It seems logical to me.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I've made an edit to Pickmentation for the next release that allows the user to replace/recolor/remove accent markings. Also added in the feature to add/remove body freckles.

Once again, these are purely cosmetic and only appear in the Appearance screen. They will not affect how the parsers call colors. If a writer wants to reference an accent specifically, they must first check if the character has any accent markings and then use [pc.accentColor] ("black"), [pc.accentMarkings] ("black stripes"), [pc.accentMarked] ("black striped"), [pc.accentMarkingsNoun] ("stripes") or [pc.accentMarkedSimple] ("striped") to get the desired color or marking.
B A S E D JACQUES :D

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016

<3 !