Bunch of questions

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
1. How long does the boon "Total Purity" last?

2. How good are offensive combat cosumables? Things like blood iris, wyvern venom.

3. What are some good must have abilities, even without investment? For example a spell thats usefull even for a character without willpower investment.

4. Some general combat tips? Usually I just spam AoEs.

5. How good is equipment with the "heavy" tag? Is it mandatory to pick warrior, if I want to use more than one heavy piece at a time? Iirc being the slowest in combat was quite a problem.

6. Does EVERY race have stat affinities? Like if I start as lupine and become a deer or lizardfolk, do they change? Some races do list affinities on the wiki, but some don't. And there are races/consumables without a page at all. Like the deer. Also if what if I'm a mix of many races? Does the one with the highest score determine affinities?

7. How was your day? I hope you had a nice one.

Reactions: ShySquare

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
2. How good are offensive combat cosumables? Things like blood iris, wyvern venom.
They're okay. For the most part, they're less effective than burning your turn on a move, and because there are out-of-combat uses for them (e.g. as things to trigger alternate dungeon completion paths in quests written by the Observer), people don't normally use them that often. There are some exceptions, though, like using Naphtha on a physical attacker to make them more useful in a fight against spectral enemies. If you bring Arona to Fort Marrok, say (in order to trigger her ghost armor quest), giving her a little naphtha can make her more effective. (Oooor you could just nuke all the ghosts yourself.)
3. What are some good must have abilities, even without investment? For example a spell thats usefull even for a character without willpower investment.
Mirror Stance for sure. Inspiration, the Charmer ultimate, is very good for recovering resolve if it gets low.
Spamming AoE is fine and will get you through most fights. With balance what it is right now, high-burst builds are much more powerful than anything else...but you can still beat most fights with most builds.
6. Does EVERY race have stat affinities? Like if I start as lupine and become a deer or lizardfolk, do they change? Some races do list affinities on the wiki, but some don't. And there are races/consumables without a page at all. Like the deer. Also if what if I'm a mix of many races? Does the one with the highest score determine affinities?
Yes, every race does have stat affinities; yes, they do change if your race changes. Chimera has its own set of affinities.

The wiki is not fully up to date, but there are people working pretty hard on it.
7. How was your day? I hope you had a nice one.
It's been quiet. Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Bobonga

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
The wiki is not fully up to date, but there are people working pretty hard on it.

It's been quiet. Thanks for asking!
I know that the wiki people are hard workers. What confused was that some races listed affinities and some didn't. And no need to thank me for question 7. If I'm asking a ton of stuff at once, I can be atleast a little bit polite.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
1. 24 hours.

2. I don't use them much but I keep a few handy in case they have pre-combat uses, like in the Getting Into The Closet quest. Someone else can probably give you more details.

3. It really depends on your Champ, because what's useful on one build isn't likely to be useful on another and almost all of them scale off Spellpower. If you don't have anything better to do with your At-Will slot, Holy Ward is a useful buffing ability that's mostly independent of your stats.

4. Spamming area attacks is good for most mob fights but generally useless for bosses since those attacks trade damage against groups for lower damage to individual targets.

5. If you want to use multiple pieces of gear with the Heavy tag, you really want to be a Warrior. They were recently reworked to ignore the Initiative penalty which makes them much more useful than before, everyone else is going to noticeably suffer in the turn order if you stack Heavy items.

6. Yeah, they do. I think someone actually calculated all of them, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Oh bugger, the person who made the list left the board (and has since rejoined) and all their old posts were deleted, taking the list with it.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
They are a decent way to sure up your elemental damage if you don't have many (or any) magic users with readied Powers of those elements. Since all of such items scale with Cunning, they are good on rogue and black mage builds that try to buff themselves or warriors in their group without it taking a power slot. Sadly, right now we don't have items that apply either of the elemental damage types most viable for the current late game (storm and holy), but there is always a chance they will be introduced later. I'd also like for all of the items in this category to be slightly more effective, or have more expensive and effective variants to pick up in the mid to late game.

There are fight with many opponents that each have their HP or Resolve very vulnerable, and AoE spam works wonders for those. However I found out that for most of the encounters against groups of enemies of equal size to my party, focusing the damage works much better, and of course most bosses don't have adds or summon an infinite amount of them, so targetting the adds with AoE is counterproductive.

As a neat trick I have picked up from people sharing their experience here on the forums: enemies that create copies of themselves currently get betrayed by the initiative order markers at the top of the screen, so you can look for which of the enemies appears twice and find the main target that way.

5. How good is equipment with the "heavy" tag? Is it mandatory to pick warrior, if I want to use more than one heavy piece at a time? Iirc being the slowest in combat was quite a problem.
The Heavy armor is meant for physical tanking and Heavy weapons are meant for high base damage and high AP. Warrior is class is required if you want your Champ to tank, since it provides additional threat generation and offsets initiative penalties - and you need your tank's first turn to happen ASAP to establish threat and prevent the nuking of your squishy party members. However if you use Heavy equipment on a character build for maximum damage, going last out of your party can help you ensure that you get buffed by stuff like Blessing before unleashing your main damage dealing abilities.

Speaking of which:

Blessing is the best party wide damage buff that is currently in the game, and it requires no willpower to use effectively. Unbreakable allows you to clutch some fights you have no business of winning (see the latest thread about beating Kas with solo). Resplendent Aria is universally pretty neat, but especially effective if your Champ is playing support and the main damage comes from your party members.

Squirrelwagon

Jun 15, 2016
Bearfolk - Strength, Toughness, Presence

Catfolk - Agility, Cunning, Presence

Chimera - Strength, Cunning, Willpower

Cowgirl - Toughness, Cunning, Presence

Elf - Agility, Cunning, Willpower

Foxmorph - Agility, Cunning, Willpower

Gnoll - Strength, Agility, Cunning

Goblin - Agility, Cunning, Presence

Harpy - Agility, Cunning, Presence

Human - Toughness, Cunning, Presence

Kitsune - Agility, Cunning, Presence

Leothran - Strength, Agility, Toughness

Lupine - Strength, Toughness, Cunning

Manticore - Strength, Cunning, Presence

Marefolk - Strength, Toughness, Presence

Minotaur - Strength, Agility, Toughness

Mothfolk - Toughness, Cunning, Presence

Orc - Strength, Toughness, Willpower

Salamander - Strength, Toughness, Willpower

Sheepfolk - Agility, Toughness, Presence

Spiderfolk - Toughness, Cunning, Presence

Taeleer - Agility, Willpower, Presence

Tanuki - Cunning, Willpower, Presence

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Big kudos for putting in the time and creating this list. Gotta say, some of these are unexpected. In particular, having willpower tagged for foxmorphs and not kitsune was a surprise, since the latter are much more obviously tied to magic and illusions.

Last edited:

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
Thanks alot!

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
In particular, having willpower tagged for foxmorphs and not kitsune was a surprise, since the latter are much more obviously tied to magic and illusions.
I dunno, the current set makes sense to me for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Wolf115

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Nah Agility/cunning/presence makes sense, especially if you read the way they are written, especially the twins.

Reactions: Paradox01