Best Damage Dealing Build + Companions

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
As of [0.6.0] I want to know the best damage dealing build and companions along with it.

I currently run a poorly built duel wielding crit thief build with Pyromancer Brienne and Spirit Totem Arona.

When I say damage dealing, I'm talking about the build/companion configuration that does the most damage to the greatest variety of enemies.

For example, a glaring weakness I noticed in my build when I ran Brienne and Arona with different sets was that my crew couldn't do shit to ghost/wraiths or any other magical enemies.

So in terms of pure damage, what builds would you guys recommend?

Reactions: TalRasha

firemoth

Jan 11, 2023
I'm running as a full spellpower black mage with Pyro Brienne & default Kiyoko.

I use great heal as my at will to compensate for the lack of damage mitigation.

The main spell rotation is I open with grease for the bonus fire damage and because it usually knocks every enemy down, giving me plenty of time for Kiyoko & Brienne to both pop a boosted fireball, then use a fireball myself. After that it's just a matter of cleaning up the one or two enemies that survived the saturation bombing I just gave their side.

The knockdown generally cancels all their stances or weird buffs, meaning that I can basically just roflstomp every horde in the game, and whenever I'm going up against a powerful single target I'll swap vitality reap for influence for the disarm and silence.

It's wonderful because it means that I'm basically roaming the countryside with my two favorite wives leaving smoldering craters everywhere we go.

I have the control rod+shield orb, titanic hat, Tiran vestments, & the guldring. Basically anything that gives spellpower goes on the slot to make sure every blast I get off would make Megumin blow her load. With the grease boost it's not unusual for each fireball to be doing 150-200+ damage to each enemy on the field unless they're resistant to fire for some reason or dodge the blast and take only half damage.

Pls don't nerf these spells, half the reason I enjoy being a black mage is specifically so I can emulate BM from 8-Bit Theater.

TalRasha

Mar 14, 2023
Well, i'm on WMage, full spellpower and spellpen.
Companions: Witch Gear Cait (that's a lot of healing)/Queenly Raiment Etheryn+Arena armor or White Knight Brint/Hopknight Quin/Azzy (not Honey Maiden, 'cause HM have some trouble with tanking)/Atugia/Arona (not Spirit Totem, this one isn't about tanking as well).
Weapons: Control Rod+Harp of Waves. Lesser autoattack damage indeed, but more damage from spells.
Spells: (for now) Heal [At-Will] - "FСKING SAVE YOURSELF" button / Jade Flame [Recharge 3] - huge single target damage output with Holy+Fire damage, dealing half as much it's damage on a miss and giving you +25 Fire resistance. I think this is deal of the century / Leaping Bolts [Recharge 3] - good almost-AoE-damage with Storm, but damage will decrease with every enemy striked, so against really big crouds might be not very effective. I call it "almost AoE" because of that, spell dealing full damage only to the fisrt target and it feels like damage to the other targets is just a nice bonus. And yes, it's chain-targeting, so if spell missed for the one target - other will take nothing. Choose your first target wisely. Aria of Waves [Recharge 2] is good alternative, dealing Storm+Crushing damage more evenly, dealing half on a miss and also giving you +25 Fire resistance, but available only if you use Harp of Waves / Smite Evil [Once at encounter] - WMage-only thing, dealing huge amount of bonus Holy damage with +50 accuracy. Good "gimme ur head u assface" thing / Revive [Once utill you sleep] - "FСKING 25 DKP MINUS FOR THE HEALER" button. Like my grandpa said: "If you gonna use thing only once - it's not useless".

Last edited:

icem4n

Apr 7, 2023
Well if there is any other one-handed weapon (not offhand) with better spellpower - i wish to know it.
no lol but i have been thinking that if u use control rod and it has storm bonus doesn't it make more sense to use spells like arc cannon dischord and grand finale ? and have some storm buffs as well and have lots of heals in ur party instead of the fire spells

edit: talking about other people mentioning using fire spells with control rod

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Control Rod still has the highest Spellpower boost among one-handed Catalysts, but it lost ten points each in Spell Pen and Crit so it's no longer obscenely better than everything else.
no lol but i have been thinking that if u use control rod and it has storm bonus doesn't it make more sense to use spells like arc cannon dischord and grand finale ?
Not really, it does Storm damage in addition to Crushing, but that only matters when physically whacking enemies with it (ie normal attacks and Weapon-tagged Powers) so it has absolutely no bearing on the power of any Spell-tagged abilities. The only ability that specifically increases Storm damage is Crackle Powder and that requires a weapon with the Ranged tag, which the Control Rod doesn't have.

You can certainly build out a Champ around that damage type (though like all mono-types you'll run into some enemies that no-sell it) but the damage type the Control Rod inflicts really has no real bearing on that unless you're also equipping something like Holy Shock or Power Wave.

Last edited:

icem4n

Apr 7, 2023
Well if there is any other one-handed weapon (not offhand) with better spellpower - i wish to know it.
also yes if you compare stats with cait and you have the same willpower she always have higher spellpower her witch set gives her even higher spellpower but her base one always have higher spellpower then the champ so yea ig her staff has higher spellpower
Control Rod still has the highest Spellpower boost among one-handed Catalysts, but it lost ten points each in Spell Pen and Crit so it's no longer obscenely better than everything else.

Not really, it does Storm damage in addition to Crushing, but that only matters when physically whacking enemies with it (ie normal attacks and Weapon-tagged Powers) so it has absolutely no bearing on the power of any Spell-tagged abilities. The only ability that specifically increases Storm damage is Crackle Powder and that requires a weapon with the Ranged tag, which the Control Rod doesn't have.

You can certainly build out a Champ around that damage type (though like all mono-types you'll run into some enemies that no-sell it) but the damage type the Control Rod inflicts really has no real bearing on that unless you're also equipping something like Holy Shock or Power Wave.
oh yea my bad i misunderstood the catalyst tag

Frostgames

Sep 4, 2022
The TTK(Two turn kill) build

Champ:
-max attributes: Presence, Agility, Willpower, Strength
-class: black mage for arcane penetration.
-weapon: Divine blossom, it will target enemy ward instead of armor for your attacks, has good acc and its damage is full holy, the best type.
-rest of the gear: focus in acc, penetration and leadership but without lowering your initiative.
-powers: Charge weapon, Blessing, triple threat, deadly shadow, ultimate of choice; You can change triple threat for crowd control for the long fights were enemies keep comming.
-companions: Atugia(tank mode) and Viviane
-strategy: Round 1, you start with bless, use Atugia aoe attack, use Viv buff on you; Round 2, use Deadly shadow for aoe or Triple Threat for single target. The fight is usually over after that.