Bess's Katana

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
I was wondering if the katana you can buy for bess actually makes any difference? don't wanna waste credits or anything

im poor

Eastin

Aug 3, 2016
I believe all the items you can but for her are purely cosmetics.  

As for your credit problem, you can make some good cash by farming Gray Microbots from the Gray Goo and sell them them to Anno for 1k credits per stack. 

K

Krynh

You have to wonder what Jim was thinking when he wrote those bits.

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
How on earth does anything get done when somebody's got a good bowl of kush? The only things I've known that might get done on that stuff is raiding the fridge, blaring music, being silly, somehow driving slowly to the local convenience store to get doritos, hot dogs, etc.  B|

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
Yeah you do get creative on that stuff. I don't deny that. Kush is the oldest indica strain, isn't it? I had purple kush years ago before I quit (I have a kid so I had to). But anyways, I remember that I suddenly got an intense craving for cool ranch doritos. I mean it's like get outta my way! Those doritos are mine! Well I had some on hand so after a couple messy handfuls, I was sharing it as my girlfriend at the time starting blaring some music. If i recall correctly, she was playing twisted sister and megadeth. Those were the days.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Will giving Bess a katana allow her to cut through the enemies' guns if our ship ever gets boarded?

No. Starwars-style lightsabers do not exists in TiTS, as well as some aspects of anime-logic, this might be a referance to. Also someone would have to have the guts to pick up JimT's stuff for that to be possible and that might take a while. This comment gave me a good laugh nontheless and I needed that. The reason I answered was that I think good and fitting jokes deserve serious answers. Thank you.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Starwars-style lightsabers do not exists in TiTS

Kara has a type of lightsaber in The Silence, and you can buy another type from Emmy that's closer to a Gundam-style beam saber.

This doesn't change the fact that Bess won't be cutting bullets in boarding scenes, of course.

Reactions: Konstantin

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Kara has a type of lightsaber in The Silence, and you can buy another type from Emmy that's closer to a Gundam-style beam saber.

This doesn't change the fact that Bess won't be cutting bullets in boarding scenes, of course.

Yeah but it is no "I can cut through anything as long as it helps the story"-sort of lightsaber. That is basically what star wars' lightsabers are.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Okay maybe I was oversimplifying and/or downright wrong about that. The point is, that safely handling such a device is impossible, at least without years of training that result in an instinctive form of combat (compare to Kurt Wimmer's Equilibrium f.e.), something I doubt is programmed into Bess/Ben.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Bess is a robot. All she has to do is watch holovids and she can mimic the behavior perfectly. 

Give her some over-the-top action films and shounen anime and she'd be unstoppable.  :smugdog:

Right. IF robots can learn Matrix-style and generally have enough capacity for that kind of stuff, why does the UGC need Horace Decker? Sunglasses? Or is it that robots can not grow sideburns? Almost every robot enemy we have encountered sucks at fighting. Even the ones built for exactly that purpose. If it is just a question of money and investment, :capitalism: and I would rather believe in the Force than capitalism.

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
if my ship ever gets boarded and bess can atleast do a little damage with her katana im happy. 

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Right. IF robots can learn Matrix-style and generally have enough capacity for that kind of stuff, why does the UGC need Horace Decker? Sunglasses? Or is it that robots can not grow sideburns? Almost every robot enemy we have encountered sucks at fighting. Even the ones built for exactly that purpose. If it is just a question of money and investment, :capitalism: and I would rather believe in the Force than capitalism.

If some robots can learn Matrix style, than keeping those as far away from active military service is the best course of action. Hand So managed to cook a ready to go plan for galaxy conquest out of scrap, and just needed to add some Steele. Imagine what a military unit comprised of AIs could have done. I'm sure that at some point Steele will have to deal with an AI-driven robot built by someone who disregards those concerns, and then shut will hit the fan.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
If Bess does anything on your ship regarding combat/travel, it'll be scaring the boarding parties away with her abominable, ever-shifting visage.

AKA She's not gonna do shit.

Yup. All variable appearances aside, her core directives prohibits her from harming any sentient being (BDSM probably not included). So seeing Bess in combat is very very unlikely. 

*Imagining Bess shouting through an intercom "Make love not war", "Thieves no stealing", "What would your biological parents think if they saw you know?" While clenching her books tightly to her bossom, protecting them like a mother lion protects her cubs.

...I'd like it if she could have some ship travel mentions. She would probably enjoy acting like a crewmate on a boat going all "aye aye captain my captain". Wouldn't even need to thoroughly describe her appearance. Just his/her name. (I personally think the interactions with Bess is what makes her character. I could totally have lived with her having a static appearance)