Balance Issues in unique weapons

Zandar

Aug 31, 2015
This isn't particularly a bug, but this is where I know Drake will see it. Something really doesn't sit right about these two weapons, and it's kind of an example of other things in the game.

In the Ice palace dungeon, you get both of these as unique loot by defeating bosses one after the other, and the second one is just a direct upgrade.

The first weapon you receive is a two handed greatsword, that does 50 penetrating damage, has -5 accuracy, -10 evasion, and 20 crit bonus.

the second weapon is a two handed scythe, that does 50 penetrating damage, has -10 accuracy, +5 evasion, 15 crit bonus, +10 spell power, and 30 armor penetration

Both of these weapons are two handed, heavy, bladed, and melee, but you get the second exactly 1 fight after the first, but the second weapon in comparison has:

Cons-
  1. the exact same damage
  2. -5 accuracy
  3. -5 crit bonus
Pros-
  1. +15 evasion
  2. +10 spellpower
  3. +30 armor penetration
  4. CATALYST
It's only two negatives are a -5 in two stats, but its lowest positive is a +10 in a stat. While the weight of these stats vary depending on your build, statisitically speaking the negative is a total of 10 points and the positive is a total of 55 points. Plus you have catalyst, which I have no clue how to break down into points. Not only does the 30 armor pen fucking SLAP in melee (which it is the highest armor pen for any melee weapon in the game after Galon's Griefmaker), you get +15 evasion (in comparison, only +5 from default) which increases your survivability, but you can comepletely throw all the physical stuff out the door because it is also a viable piece of equipment for a spellcasting Pc as well. I don't know how well a Gish/sword mage type build works but this wouldbe perfect for that.

I know that the greatsword mentions "missing charms" so maybe we can upgrade it in the future but as of right now it is weird how the following fight makes the gear you get in the previous one obsolete. Sorry if this seems preachy or whiny. I assume Wsan and SKOW wrote the items themselves and they were just coded as is, and one of them either made their weapon way to weak or way too powerful, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't an accident.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.06.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.06.35 PM.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.06.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.06.54 PM.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 3