Art help.

runingman69

Nov 24, 2018
canuck land.
Hello i have been having trouble with human faces. Animal faces are slightly more successful. Any advice? I have looked over tutorials and i still seem to be failing.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
A couple of artist friends of mine would tell you to just keep practising. At the end of the day, the one who is going to be putting pencil to page is you and you alone. Human faces are difficult but its one of those things you just need to keep trying.

Reactions: runingman69

avesula

May 24, 2019
do studies from pics/ref, focus on mapping out "landmarks," ie the eyes/nostrils/mouth
once you know standard proportions you can better bend them to suit your whims and needs
look of proper facial ratios if you gotta but its mostly drawing faces (from reference!!!!) over and over and over again that gets you good

Last edited:

Rohezk

Feb 19, 2018
Argentina
Something I personally have fun with when I do faces is to try copying faces of other artists pics, mainly hentai has a lot of funny faces to do. Otherwise, I would recommend you to try not to focus so much on textbook face anatomy, draw what sits right with you and eventually you will be able to do it on sense only.

scruff

Aug 27, 2015
Human beings are keyed into the human face and what is considered natural vs unnatural, which is why a face/head which is slightly off feels so wrong. If you are looking to to achieve a semblance of real world proportionality, I would jump in and say that doing studies from reference is important to get the normal proportions of the human head down pat. That being said, there is a place for the stylized and uncanny, it's just a matter of experience recognizing what will be uncanny and what will be endearing. If there's anything I've learned from being a professional artist, and subsequently ceasing to be a professional artist, it's that the message you are trying to convey is more important than the technical execution with which you convey it. The message itself is more important.