Appearance->Wing position?

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
So,, I'm aware that all large wings can now count as clothing, but why do we now have a separate menu for changing wing position? I just assumed that places where nudity is forbidden would simply check for the presence of large wings, and if they are present, allow you to walk around normally.

Is there some reason why we woudn't want this to just happen automatically, or be considered to be happening automatically without an actual 'wing fold state' and toggle to define it?

Is there a reason why we wouldn't want to simply leave this setting on 'cover your body' and forget about it?

The only thing that I see that it changes is a small blurb about your wings covering your body in your appearance description. Does it change anything else, like you're considered to not have wings whilst they're folded for the purpose of the few things in the game that check for the presence of wings? Or is this purely for the sake of getting to decide whether you want to walk around with your wings folded or behind you, for headcanon/rp purposes?

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
Well, there are some places where nudity isn't forbidden, and exhibitionists might want to walk around completely uncovered in said areas (it's mostly an RP thing, but for those with that specific fetish I'm sure it adds to the immersion a great deal).

I kind of covered that.

I just assumed that places where nudity is forbidden would simply check for the presence of large wings, and if they are present, allow you to walk around normally.

Hence, no need for a separate menu and toggle. You are just considered 'clothed' in such areas as long as it detects that you have such wings.

and if there's ever any expansion to the wing positioning mechanic, we already have a way to handle it.

This is what I was asking. Is this going anywhere? I can't think of any other position you'd want to put your wings in, or why you'd want to do so. Hence, it seems a bit silly to have a separate menu and toggle for just two options that could be handled by an automatic check. And I did acknowledge that one might want to set them one way or another for headcanon reasons.

Note that I'm not suggesting that it should be removed, I was just hoping to be enlightened as to the 'why'.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I kind of covered that.

Hence, no need for a separate menu and toggle. You are just considered 'clothed' in such areas as long as it detects that you have such wings.

This is what I was asking. Is this going anywhere? I can't think of any other position you'd want to put your wings in, or why you'd want to do so. Hence, it seems a bit silly to have a separate menu and toggle for just two options that could be handled by an automatic check. And I did acknowledge that one might want to set them one way or another for headcanon reasons.

Note that I'm not suggesting that it should be removed, I was just hoping to be enlightened as to the 'why'.

It's a vanity thing. Like all that galore of items with barely different stats. Or other small details which are not really necessary.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
It is highly amusing to walk around Tavros toggling the wing coverage and having nothing happen. xD

Side note: Even if you can use your wings to cover yourself up in front, surely your butt would still be exposed?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Side note: Even if you can use your wings to cover yourself up in front, surely your butt would still be exposed?

Wings able to carry human sized person should be huge. Enough to wrap yourself in them rather than just fold them in front.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Wings able to carry a human on an earth-like planet are more than huge, it's almost a biological nonsense. http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/2886/how-big-would-a-pair-of-wings-need-to-be-to-allow-an-adult-human-to-fly-in-a-giv

Think of it in these terms. In the game it's several thousand years in the future which means that genetic modification is normal and pretty much an everyday thing unlike today where people think it's an ethical issue (especially the whole playing god thing, I think that line of thinking is complete bullshit seeing as we've been genetically modifying and playing god with domestic species of animals and plants.) Anyways back to the point. It's the future which means you're able to genetically modify yourself which in turn means you can set how strong/dense your muscle strength is. Grow wings on your back which means those specific muscles need to be quite strong. If you think about it in those terms, the game is space magic handwaving, of course if you add on genetic modification it makes more sense and isn't so space magic anymore.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Think of it in these terms. In the game it's several thousand years in the future which means that genetic modification is normal and pretty much an everyday thing unlike today where people think it's an ethical issue (especially the whole playing god thing, I think that line of thinking is complete bullshit seeing as we've been genetically modifying and playing god with domestic species of animals and plants.) Anyways back to the point. It's the future which means you're able to genetically modify yourself which in turn means you can set how strong/dense your muscle strength is. Grow wings on your back which means those specific muscles need to be quite strong. If you think about it in those terms, the game is space magic handwaving, of course if you add on genetic modification it makes more sense and isn't so space magic anymore.

Heh, actually, I've thought about highlighting the weight issue with possible dragon TF.

lighterfluid

Apr 27, 2016
There's also the factor of bone density and body mass. It's not really that crazy to think that an item that gives you wings could also make you internally easier to lift, giving you more efficient muscles and all.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
Psionics can also help to cover the remaining diffrence in needed lift. IE winged flight with unrealisticly small wings could be a mixture of telekinetic lift combined with wing strokes for manuvering. 

dwagon

May 11, 2016

Note that wing muscle strength is a problem, but the one I mentioned was wingspan/area. It has to be huge to be able to lift a humanoid on Vendiko (Gryvain's low-gravity/heavy-atmosphere homeworld) and even larger on an earthlike planet. It's not about biology, it's about physic. If someone has wings large enough to lift him, they are also probably too large to use most infrastructures fit for normal humans (like, you know, doors)