Anyone for D&D?

Herod_Hammerstar

Dec 24, 2020
It's been a long time since I've indulged in online RPG; I'd be down to run a simple campaign if anyone is interested. I'd need at least 3 players.

TAN

Jul 27, 2020
I might be interested. Would it be Play-by-Post here or something elsewhere like Discord or Roll20?

Steevee

Oct 3, 2015
always wanted to try some Online D&D.

though I would need some of the specifics explained.

I know the generals off it, but the exact stuff on stat values and the skills tied to them.. (as it keeps changing)

Steevee

Oct 3, 2015
Here. I'll take votes for either 3E or 5E.
I’m more familiar with 3e because I mostly play Pathfinder, but either is fine.

I also suggest 3 or 3.5 as I.. think that's the version I played a .. quickplay version of. (boxed set received as a gift years ago that came with full, simplified charter sheets and basic word thing designed to introduce players to the game.

that and Order of the Stick seems to run on this and Grand Line 3.5 clearly does.

Herod_Hammerstar

Dec 24, 2020
The way I'm seeing this shaping up, if we go with 3E, I'll want to largely avoid combat, since it's too complicated and poorly balanced; instead, the game's crunch will focus heavily around the Skill system, so it'll be a game heavy on intrigue and politics. On the other hand, 5E rules basically reduce everything other than combat to a bunch of DM fiats, so if we use those rules the game will mostly just be a series of fights.

I would still need at least one more player to even consider doing this.

Herod_Hammerstar

Dec 24, 2020
Politics instead of hitting things?

im out

Well I was thinking "politics" in the Game of Thrones sense, not the real-life version. But it was a very preliminary thought. If you want combat, I'd strongly lean toward using the 5E rules, but if you want to stick with 3E, we can find something other than cloak-and-dagger to focus on. Maybe an Indiana Jones type thing where you solve a lot of puzzles.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
This sounds like it could be fun. While I greatly prefer 5E, I wouldn't mind dusting off my old 3E books if that's what everyone wants to play. What did you have in mind as far as setting and tone goes, and how heavily do you want erotica to feature in the game?

Herod_Hammerstar

Dec 24, 2020
Setting is yet to be fully determined, so as to leave room for player-generated backstory; if nobody is coming up with anything interesting, I'll fall back on my old campaign world, but I figure I can save myself the effort of describing a whole bunch of stuff up front by just leaving the ball in you guys's court for starters.

Tone is not something I generally spell out, but in general I tend toward a kind of a deconstructionist approach, lovingly lampshading the genre tropes. The webcomics Order of the Stick and Rusty & Co are probably a good baseline comparison for what I tend to go for, though without being quite so transparently parodies.

I didn't plan on much if any erotica content, just because D&D has never had good rules for handling such. I don't feel talented as a smut writer anyway; I do tend to incorporate sexuality as a background element in my games, but only to the extent that a prime-time TV show generally would, where the actual action fades to black.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Well, that's part of it, this is an erotic site after all. But, the real problem is that you aren't setting up a very solid foundation for your game. If you want people to create good compelling characters, then we need to know at least a little bit about the setting, and narrative you want to run. Right now it sounds like you just want to wing it as you go, and that is always a recipe for disaster; just look at the newest Starwars trilogy.

Herod_Hammerstar

Dec 24, 2020
Well, that's part of it, this is an erotic site after all. But, the real problem is that you aren't setting up a very solid foundation for your game. If you want people to create good compelling characters, then we need to know at least a little bit about the setting, and narrative you want to run. Right now it sounds like you just want to wing it as you go, and that is always a recipe for disaster; just look at the newest Starwars trilogy.

Well I have an extremely well-developed campaign world, but whenever I start describing it, people's eyes seem to glaze over....

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Just give us the gist of it here; better to have something then nothing. Also, better to have people decide if they want to be a part of it now, rather than during the game, because if they decide they don't like it after they start, guess what's going to happen.
I'd like to emphasis that I'm not trying to shoot you down here, or anything, I just hate to see fellow GMs set themselves up for failure. Groupe games tend to fall apart enough around here as it is.

Reactions: Herod_Hammerstar

Thkaal

Feb 19, 2021
Oh, Just joined but I would love to do a political campaign. As for smut, there was an old long ago 1st and 2nd ed "book" that was more clinical than the 3e Book of Erotic Fantasy. But I have an odd schedule so that might be an issue.