Any way to beat Sigrune early?

C

Chaincat22

Considering she's guarding Mirror Stance and there are a lot of skills you can flat out miss if you don't have it early, I've been trying to beat her basically before doing anything else. I managed to get her to 1 hp once with Cait and Brint but that's it. I'm a mage with grease and thunderbolt at level 3 wearing the witch's costume. Any help?

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
Use the resolve damage spells. She's immune to tease damage, but not mental damage. going through 100 resolve is probably easier than her 500 ish hp.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
I guess the answer was just hope she doesn't crit and misses a lot
I've never beaten her before level five personally, but I also beat her with a far from optimized build at the time. You could try stacking spell power and such in order to try and focus her down. I'm not sure if spellpower translates to more resolve impact from mental spells as well. Try wearing the Witch's Hat for some spellpower buff and use the Spiraled Staff from Berwyn's quest, which is unlocked at level 3 according to the wiki. Wizard Rings are sold by Ivris and increase spellpower and such as well, you can try using those too. Not sure about any hand/leg stuff that increases spellpower myself but it may be out there and I just don't know about it.

I will say you will still probably need some luck that she doesn't crit you. You can also try using manual combat flow if you aren't already in order to make the fight a bit easier.

C

Chaincat22

I've never beaten her before level five personally, but I also beat her with a far from optimized build at the time. You could try stacking spell power and such in order to try and focus her down. I'm not sure if spellpower translates to more resolve impact from mental spells as well. Try wearing the Witch's Hat for some spellpower buff and use the Spiraled Staff from Berwyn's quest, which is unlocked at level 3 according to the wiki. Wizard Rings are sold by Ivris and increase spellpower and such as well, you can try using those too. Not sure about any hand/leg stuff that increases spellpower myself but it may be out there and I just don't know about it.

I will say you will still probably need some luck that she doesn't crit you. You can also try using manual combat flow if you aren't already in order to make the fight a bit easier.
Oh I never get past turn 1 without manual combat. Brint is too bad at using Execute and Cait isn't proactive enough with jaziira. I can't do berwyn's quest because Berwyn is the only character with fire bolt, which mirror stance can steal. I was wearing the whole witch's set which included the witch's hat. The damage didn't honestly matter that much.

C

Chaincat22

Use the resolve damage spells. She's immune to tease damage, but not mental damage. going through 100 resolve is probably easier than her 500 ish hp.
It is but you don't get mind damage until level 4, and 5k xp is a pain in the ass to grind out when all you have access to is the first 3 areas

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
Oh I never get past turn 1 without manual combat. Brint is too bad at using Execute and Cait isn't proactive enough with jaziira. I can't do berwyn's quest because Berwyn is the only character with fire bolt, which mirror stance can steal. I was wearing the whole witch's set which included the witch's hat. The damage didn't honestly matter that much.
I... don't see why you can't do Berwyn's quest. If I recall, it's located in the Foothills and has absolutely nothing to do with Sigrune. Ontop of that, I don't believe the fight for Matiha has anyone using Mirror Stance so I don't see how it's not achievable.

You're not doing the quest to use Berwyn to fight Sigrune. You're doing the quest because it gives you a reward of either a Spiraled Blade, for warrior types, or a Spiraled Staff for mage types. The Spiraled Staff is good enough that I was able to go through the Winter City with it, and as a spellcaster it is extremely useful. It gives 20 Spellpower, 15 Spell Penetration, 10 Accuracy, 5 Crit, and for regular smacking it deals 30 Crushing damage. It acts as a catalyst as well, meaning you can use it for spell at-will abilities like Heal or Withering Bolt or something of the sort as well.

I'm a bit curious as to how the damage didn't matter that much... you were able to get her down to 1 hp on one of your attempts, yeah? If you had even a slight boost to damage you'd have been successful in the fight and been able to beat her. I would say in that instance damage did indeed matter very much.

As for grinding levels, the Valley (south entrance) has the higher level enemies that give more exp, particularly south of the river. They are level 4, but should be a lot easier than trying to take on Sigrune.

C

Chaincat22

Had to do it twice because I found out Eryka is the only person who knows how to tackle. For those who want to know how to do it, here's what I did

Gear doesn't really matter, I used the witch set the first time, and leather armor from the shop the second time. Your damage is inconsequential for the most part. I was a Black Mage, Grease is a very useful ability. Bring Cait and Brint

Cait leads with Sun of Jazirra or Heal depending on if Sigrune gets initiative. Hopefully the blind works and Sigrune misses whatever over powered attack she goes for. Brint needs to go for Rend first turn and it needs to hit and get the bleed. If you miss or don't get the blead, reset. Use your turn to cast grease and get Sigrun to waste her turn standing up, and have Cait on heal bot duty. Brint needs to Cleave next and it needs to hit. Next turn, summon the fire elemental. Best case scenario, it gets a hit in. Second best case scenario, it eats a hit for you and Brint. Brint now needs to go for Execute. It MUST hit or you have already lost, since it's a 200 damage nuke and greatly evens the playing field. After this turn, someone is dead. Best case scenario, it's the fire elemental. Worst case scenario, it's you or Brint. If it's Cait that's alright but get ready to clench those butt cheeks. At this point, you need to give Sigrune everything you've got. Use a leannestone if you have one, or use lightning bolt. Have Cait heal if she's alive, if not, just have Brint use his ability attack and hope for the best. If you didn't die, go for withering bolt or lightning bolt. If she's still not dead, hopefully Brint died for you. Now just use withering bolt and pray to whatever God you worship that it works.

I really hope we get the ability to bypass sigrun soon because it's hooonestly garbage that there are so many missable skills locked to mirror stance behind this level 5 behemoth of a boss.

C

Chaincat22

I... don't see why you can't do Berwyn's quest. If I recall, it's located in the Foothills and has absolutely nothing to do with Sigrune. Ontop of that, I don't believe the fight for Matiha has anyone using Mirror Stance so I don't see how it's not achievable.

You're not doing the quest to use Berwyn to fight Sigrune. You're doing the quest because it gives you a reward of either a Spiraled Blade, for warrior types, or a Spiraled Staff for mage types. The Spiraled Staff is good enough that I was able to go through the Winter City with it, and as a spellcaster it is extremely useful. It gives 20 Spellpower, 15 Spell Penetration, 10 Accuracy, 5 Crit, and for regular smacking it deals 30 Crushing damage. It acts as a catalyst as well, meaning you can use it for spell at-will abilities like Heal or Withering Bolt or something of the sort as well.

I'm a bit curious as to how the damage didn't matter that much... you were able to get her down to 1 hp on one of your attempts, yeah? If you had even a slight boost to damage you'd have been successful in the fight and been able to beat her. I would say in that instance damage did indeed matter very much.

As for grinding levels, the Valley (south entrance) has the higher level enemies that give more exp, particularly south of the river. They are level 4, but should be a lot easier than trying to take on Sigrune.
Doesn't Berwyn stop being an enemy after that quest? The point of me doing it this early is so I can get all the stealable skills, of which Berwyn has one. If you can still fight him after that and still recruit him later then I suppose going for the spiral items would help, but at level 3, your damage is largely inconsequential, Brint's damage is what matters, your job is to make Sigrune waste turns. Having a little more damage yourself can help, as is evident with me getting her to 1 then losing, but it's also doable without it as I've just done twice.

I'll consider that if I ever start over again, but I still hope we get the option to bypass her soon since there's a surprising number of skills you can miss pretty much right away if you don't have mirror stance, and that's honestly garbage.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
The game is not done yet, and there will be more enemies and encounters.

This is something we brought up when making the quest and most stealable things will be in repeatable encounters eventually.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115
C

Chaincat22

The game is not done yet, and there will be more enemies and encounters.

This is something we brought up when making the quest and most stealable things will be in repeatable encounters eventually.
I mean, I get that, I guess I'm just burned from coc1 and tits leaving similar issues of missable content unaddressed for the longest time, so I was hoping calling attention to it would at least help the team not neglect it.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
I mean, I get that, I guess I'm just burned from coc1 and tits leaving similar issues of missable content unaddressed for the longest time, so I was hoping calling attention to it would at least help the team not neglect it.

While I can kinda understand to want to have everything, but is there really a point here?
While I admit that I never had that skill, I fail to see how it would be really worth the hassle to gain.
I mean, you are limited in what skills you can equip at any given time and most of the time higher level skills are better..

But regardless, When I grinded all my companions to level 5 I found that the lower flatlands (around the lake) give the best XP.
Especially Hashat (who really should have a hat =P) and the Moth girl are pretty doable and give quite a nice sum.

The bigger trouble are less the xp and more the equipment, since that is (as it should be) gated behind special enemies and quests.

Also, to get every Perk in CoC1 you would have to grind a lot without leveling up, so that you could gain every perk..
And at that point you can also outright edit the save, because that is kinda mind-numbing grind.. :D
(Which does not stop me from doing it every bloody time in CoC1 -_-)

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Somebody Else

Nov 12, 2018
Don't think you can beat Sigrune without oodles of luck until level 4; everyone's just too squishy before that.

Losing access to certain skills because you didn't get mirror stance in time is definitely annoying, particularly when they're companion skills. Seriously Berwyn, you can't lob a firebolt at me in our downtime? Cait's standing by with healing, it'll be fine. Good to hear that it's a problem the devs are aware of and already intended to address though.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
Don't think you can beat Sigrune without oodles of luck until level 4; everyone's just too squishy before that.

Losing access to certain skills because you didn't get mirror stance in time is definitely annoying, particularly when they're companion skills. Seriously Berwyn, you can't lob a firebolt at me in our downtime? Cait's standing by with healing, it'll be fine. Good to hear that it's a problem the devs are aware of and already intended to address though.

Well, having a way to train/duel our companions would be neat. :D
Anyways, there are few usefull skills you can miss, most skills you get via mirrorstance are more for fluff.

Just see some as a reward for those who went out of their way to defeat her early.
We don't need to get every single skill in the game..

R

Random Commenter

I'm a thief w/ focus on agi and str and Cait and Brint on the team, if you get the move Lightning Fist from the gym, you can use that to stun first turn, use White Flame/ Heal for Cait and Execute from Brint, then use Shell Cracker to lower defence, Sun O' Jassira, and Rend, if she's not dead by then, just use whatever attacks deal the most damage