Ain't No Place For No Champion

Fmafanclub

Oct 18, 2016
Here it is! A story about the Champion living through his 365th day in Mareth! I can't recall reading anything about a similar event in the game or in the forums, so hope you like it. It's obviously a one shot, non-sexual fanfic. It's not my first, but it is my first post here. Don't hesitate to give feedback (english isn't my native language so there's bound to be some mistakes) and enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

You are the Champion. You were the last human to cross the portal between the small village of Ingnam and the Demon World, which was two hundred and fifty-six days ago. Today you woke up, and though you aren't human anymore, you are still the Champion. Indeed, going through the dangers of Mareth, you had to give up your humanity, and grow strong enough to face your responsibilities as the Champion. And you did wonderfully. Not only did you make sure that not a single demon crossed the portal, but you managed to assemble a little army and built a small fortress to protect it even further. The task was growing incredibly easy, as you slayed the Demon Queen, Lethice, months ago. The Demons were shrinking in number and power, and you (probably) are the most powerful being of this realm.

But today is special. For as long as you could remember, your village had sent out a Champion every year to end the Demon threat, which you did in a matter of months. Was your realm free of the Demon threat? Would they continue sending Champions to Mareth? These were your thoughts as you waited in front of the cave’s entrance since you woke up.

As time passes, anguish comes, along with the conclusion that they have no reason to send anyone anymore. Your thoughts are divided; you are glad to be the hero of your realm, but you can’t help but miss you home and your family even more than you did before.

You give up shortly before noon, feeling far too stressed out to keep on waiting for something that will simply not happen. You just noticed that you are starving. You ease your mind while eating with your companions, and go on with the daily tasks, although still saddened by your own thoughts.

It is 3pm, and you are working on your fortifying your camp when you hear a scream. You fly to the source, only to find a man in his 20s, looking horrified at Ember’s sight, the latter simply standing there confused.

You let out a cry of joy, only to see the man rushing back to the cave. You run, hoping to catch him before he could go back through the portal. With your speed, you manage to get in front of the stranger easily, and prevent him from going any further. He freezes, kneels down, sobs and pleads:

“Do not eat me please!”

Indeed, you knew that it would be hard to start a conversation with a human of your realm, when you are an eight feet tall dragon-morph. However you were prepared for it, and you try to reassure the poor fellow.

“I don’t want you any harm.”

Knowing that it won’t be enough, you go on.

“Believe it if you can, but I am the last Champion that went through the portal. The Demon realm changed my appearance but I remain the same inside. I managed to fulfill my duty, keeping any demon from using the portal, and defending Ingnam and our world.”

To this, the man lifts his head to look at you, although still on the ground. As dangerous as he may look, this much information could only come from another human. Still trembling a little, he replies.

“That would explain why there were even less accidents than the years we actually sent Champions here. But you look completely corrupted! I find it hard to believe you’re one of us…”

Again, you know what to answer to the man’s suspicions.

“This land is indeed tainted, and corrupts the strongest of mind quite easily. To gain the power to face the demons of this realm, I had to let the corruption strengthen my body, although my soul is still as pure as yours. I would understand if you still need to be convinced, and I am ready to prove my identity.”

However you could see in his eyes that the newest Champion was relieved to hear this.

“I was actually instructed to report back to town if I was sure the portal was defended, as the number of accidents considerably decreased. If you can indeed prove your point, I will gladly go back home to bring back the good news.”

You smile, knowing that your actions actually meant a lot to your homeland. You help the man get up and walk him out of the cave.

Although your companions still scared the Champion, you gave him a tour of your little fortress, showed him the clothes you wore when you first got here, gave him a glimpse of your power and even offered him to go back with Lethice’s head, carefully placed on pedestal by Kiha. He had a notebook to record everything, and didn’t say much up until the end. The sun was starting to set when you walked back to the cave’s entrance to wrap things up.

“This is it for what I have to say. I did write a note for my family in case you would come, and I want you to give it to them when you get back. Do you have any more questions?”

He grabs the small letter, packs it in his bag, and answers.

“The way I see it, this realm is almost peaceful now. Isn’t there anything for us to do there, like trades or something else?”

You take a deep breath. You’ve made your decision on the matter, and it was one of the most painful and difficult ones that you had to take since you settled in Mareth.

“When I say that this world corrupts the strongest of minds, I mean it. I am not surprised that no other Champion managed to defend the portal, as this land is filled with corruption, lust, traps, decay and death. Here a tiny bite of a pepper can change your body forever, and the simplest choices can make the difference between life and death. It isn’t that I don’t want my people to enter this realm, but that I want to prevent its corruption from reaching ours. Such power and resources can look appealing, but I know that there’s no going back from humanity in that case. If our realm is the last bastion of purity, then I shall defend it to the most of my abilities.”

The Champion must have seen the determination in your eyes, for he doesn’t try to argue.

“I understand. Thank you again, and may you find a pleasant life here. I think I can speak for everyone back home when I say thank you for your sacrifice.”

You feel a little bit demoralized, but fully righteous, as you watch the man leave through the cave and back to your home world. Your home is here, in Mareth, and you still have duties, as a companion, father, lover, and most importantly, as a Champion.