Abyssal Depths dungeon (Spoilers for 0.4.1)

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
Hoo boy this dungeon was a thing. Glad I stayed up and waited for the build to drop. Anyways, here's a whole bunch of information/a guide on everything regarding the latest dungeon. A warning for those who wish not to be spoiled.

Layout:
1624085542145.png1624086427453.png
To preface this, like the mage ship, all companions (except Berwyn) have various scenes during the course of the dungeon. Also, your performance during the Mage ship will impact how prepared you can be during the course of the dungeon. Check your quests under 'Winter Wolf' to see the knowledge you've gotten. Also to note, this is the first dungeon that allows you to save while in it. (Edit: this was a bug, ignore this.)

During the initial dive, all companions have a small scene.

Going directly south will result in the PC and Gweyr both suffering the 'Bruised and beaten' status debuff. You won't be able to remove this so unless you want to challenge yourself, take the long way around.

After the first six tiles, a forced encounter awaits you. Items can be used to your advantage before the fight begins. The only one I've personally tried is the Leananstone, but a Ley-crystal grenade might work here as well. Using a Leananstone inflicts stagger to all opponents. Afterwards, one of your two companions will have undergo some sort of existential crisis. After that, there are three interactable areas in the 3x3 square. The encounter rate is insanely high in this area so be prepared to fight/run multiple times.

The Northwest contains a door puzzle that requires a password. During the events of the Mage ship it is possible to learn this password. Check your quests under 'Winter wolf'. The tile to the left of the one directly below the stairs has a pair of mushrooms. Flavor text from the undermountain area (if you read it, it'll sound familiar) or having Brint/Brienne will provide more information on the specific type of mushroom.

The tile directly below the Stairs can open a shortcut, skipping one forced encounter. A party that includes any of the following companions (Brint/Brienne, Arona, Azzy, Atugia) will allow you to clear it. In addition, having a Leananstone can clear the rubble as well. If you decide to manually clear it, having a camping supply item prevents you from losing HP. The 2nd forced encounter is more or less the same as the first, except getting an advantage via item use.

On the stair tile, you'll face Whisper once more. He'll make copies of himself, and replenish them when you take one out. Pay attention to the starting text of the fight, as that'll clue you in as to the real Whisper. He's fairly weak to tease attacks, and on reruns Bimbo Azzy lust nuked the guy, so that's one way to do it. Afterwards, you'll be on the 2nd floor. To the right is another wordlock chest. Solving it grants you one Kaelirra Tears, useful for the next two fights. Continue north to find Tollus and Leold. Tollus looks weak, so you might be tempted to go for him first. Unfortunately, Leold won't let you do that as long as he's alive, occasionally absorbing hits meant for Tollus. And he's got the HP to take the hits too. What's worse, Tollus has vitality reap and mass drain, and Leold's got Bark skin to keep himself alive.

After that, you'll get a fountain to rest and recover. Chasing the two cultists, you'll find a room filled with Selkies filled with unnatural lust. They're pretty much the same as the ones above water. If you've got some Oliban oil, you can skip this fight entirely. Finally, you'll come face to face with a Lureling. Once again, one of your companions will freak out like before. Sadly, Lust nuking might not be an option here-despite the Lureling's -100 resistance to tease-since it's got over 1,000 resolve. If you come out victorious, congrats, that was the last fight. Now to leave. Be sure to snag the notes Tollus left on the way out for some lore bits along with two unique armors.

And here's everything regarding what you can find in this dungeon.
Door password:Issal Saal Craa Gas Iskar. Reward: Giant's glove
Wordlock chest: Ring. Reward: 1x Kaelirra's tears

Initial dive/resurfacing
Cait: Mentions needing to redying her hair and fur after this.
Brint/Brienne: Struggles with swimming, comments on the size of the dungeon.
Atugia: Swims like a pro, comments on ancient Jotun carvings on walls.
Etheryn: Like Elsa, the cold of the water doesn't bother her. Foreshadows how the Lureling preys on ones' fears.
Quin: Determined, does a flip out of the water. Acknowledges that this means more to him than just revenge on Tollus.
Kiyoko: Floof tails and the smell of wet fur. Subtly complains of swimming, but not really she swears.
Arona: Is Aquadynamic. Thinks she saw her grandfather during the trip down into the Abyss.
Azzy: Is a bug in water, take a guess.

Initial fears
Cait: Fears that everything done to find Calla is in vain.
Brint: Begins to doubt leaving his village, and consequently his sister/mother.
Brienne: Believes PC may leave her/doesn't really love her.
Atugia: Thinks that PC may see her as a monster like others have before.
Etheryn: Questions/doubts her ability to rule.
Quin: Believes he has a part in getting Tollus to where he is now.
Kiyoko: Wonders if she really was a good mother, and if it's fine to be out adventuring away from her children.
Arona: Realizes she'll soon have nothing left to strive towards, and end up like her brother.
Special scene in the vault where she tries to bring the riches back with her, Believes PC is trying to take it for themselves to usurp her place as chieftain.
Azzy: Ponders as to what would've happened had the PC never met her, and if she never known any of her hive mates.

Lureling pre-fight
Cait: Hallucinates Calla is in the pool.
Brint: Believes his family think he won't return like his father.
Brienne: Desperate to prove to herself the PC will remain with her forever.
Atugia: Relives a memory, possibly prior to being hired by Carmen.
Etheryn: Sees her grandmother, apologizes for being the reason her mother died.
Quin: Fears of being untrustworthy get the better of him, and wishes for a do over in life.
Kiyoko: Fearful that she is too distant to Kinu, wonders if she is now obsolete after raising her.
Arona: Fears of being weak get the better of her.
Azzy: Relives the moment of confronting her lust addled mother, convinced she is unwanted for being sane and not corrupted.

Post fight and followup
Cait: Feels betrayed by the hallucination. PC Reassures her they'll be with her every step of the way.
Brint: Shrugs off his worries, though embarrassed at what he said.
Brienne: Fears the PC would reject her love/dissappear. PC reassures her they won't.
Atugia: Still sees herself as a monster. PC disagrees.
Etheryn: Confides in the PC about the hallucination. PC comforts her.
Quin: Embarrassed that a trained spy like him folded so easily to the Lureling. PC reminds him everyone cracked under its powers.
Kiyoko: No comment on her worries. PC brushes her tails and comforts her.
Arona: Celebrates by boasting. One track mind.
Azzy: Relieved it's over.

Giant's Gloves-Armor Penetration 15
Dream-Plate-Focus 80, Ward 30, Penetrating Res 25, Armor 20, Mag Res 10, Crushing res -10
Lureling Eye-Tease/Mind res 25, Focus 20

*Whisper: Attack, Mirror Image, Dirty Trick, Garrote, Aim: Weapon, Wyvern Sting, Poison Edge
*Leold: Bark Skin, Frozen Edge, Cold Snap, Shatter
*Tollus: Blight Orb, Hex, Leech, Vitality Reap, Mass Drain
*Lureling: Attack, Dark Thoughts, Psyshock, Soul Arrow, Ray of Frost, Lureling's Song

Whew, that was a lot. Special thanks to @zagzig for inspiring me to do this in the first place, along with @Kesil for the stealable powers section.

Edit: Upon doing a rerun of this dungeon I found a new companion flavor text for Arona.

Last edited:

Nit

Jun 19, 2020
I hid the "issue" I have in a spoiler so no one can say I ruined it
On the stair tile, you'll face Whisper once more. He'll make copies of himself, and replenish them when you take one out. Pay attention to the starting text of the fight, as that'll clue you in as to the real Whisper

Ok...I got nothing from that. I still have a hard time dealing with Whisper and he kills me in two turns.

• Sad
Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
I hid the "issue" I have in a spoiler so no one can say I ruined it
On the stair tile, you'll face Whisper once more. He'll make copies of himself, and replenish them when you take one out. Pay attention to the starting text of the fight, as that'll clue you in as to the real Whisper

Ok...I got nothing from that. I still have a hard time dealing with Whisper and he kills me in two turns.
Basically if you take one out he'll just spawn a new one. The start of the fight will say something along the lines of "Whisper A/B/C takes a deep breath, suddenly perfect copies of Whisper manifest." The one that does this is the real Whisper. Though sometimes he'll shuffle among the clones. If you still struggle with that, try to tease the real one into submission, since his resolve/resistance to tease is pretty low.

Nit

Jun 19, 2020
Basically if you take one out he'll just spawn a new one. The start of the fight will say something along the lines of "Whisper A/B/C takes a deep breath, suddenly perfect copies of Whisper manifest." The one that does this is the real Whisper. Though sometimes he'll shuffle among the clones. If you still struggle with that, try to tease the real one into submission, since his resolve/resistance to tease is pretty low.
ok, thank you

Nit

Jun 19, 2020
how the hell do you beat the sea snake? When it
copies Cait
, I can barely make a damn dent in it.

drossbots

Sep 29, 2020
copies Cait
It has high damage resistance, but if you just keep beating the shit out of it it'll die eventually. It honestly doesn't do to much damage, or atleast not so much that Cait can't heal you easily.

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
copies Cait
It banishes itself whenever a copy/nightmare is made, so you're forced to attack that first.
My problem with the damn thing is it 9/10 locks me out of being able to do anything at random, via no buttons.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Dunno about generic enemies or if they're new powers tho.
If it helps (not just typing to you here, but anyone who happens to read this message), I have every power that's currently listed as stealable on the wiki save for Kasyrra's and Arona's Wide Sweep.

EDIT: these are the powers major bosses have. As far as I know, they have no new stealable ones:
*Whisper: Attack, Mirror Image, Dirty Trick, Garrote, Aim: Weapon, Wyvern Sting, Poison Edge
*Leold: Bark Skin, Frozen Edge, Cold Snap, Shatter
*Tollus: Blight Orb, Hex, Leech, Vitality Reap, Mass Drain
*Lureling: Attack, Dark Thoughts, Psyshock, Soul Arrow, Ray of Frost, Lureling's Song

Last edited:

Hikadu

Jun 20, 2021
I never see that messege, they all just do the shadow clone thing :/

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
@Shrike675 Thanks for the compilation! I'm wondering if bringing Quin on both my runs so far has priority over other companion dialogue options or if I just got some funny RNG shenanigans, because I never saw Ryn's lines.

Also, damn that was a really cool dungeon! Not to mention creepy at the end there. After reading the notes I picked up: Did I just piss off a Lovecraftian horror in a way that's going to have Consequences later in the game when it decides it really wants me to suffer for driving it away from its nice cozy spot? Because that's the impression I came away with.

EDIT: Also in those notes and of particular interest to me as foreshadowing: Apparently Alissa has a new 'court' and more importantly she has her lethicite back. That might save us a step or two in getting Ryn's cage off when Alissa gets reintroduced, since we won't have to hunt down the crystal separately.

Last edited:

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
It banishes itself whenever a copy/nightmare is made, so you're forced to attack that first.
My problem with the damn thing is it 9/10 locks me out of being able to do anything at random, via no buttons.
A hotfix was released yesterday that should fix this. If you're playing a stand-alone download version of the game you'll need to redownload.

Voyager

Sep 15, 2017

As it turn out, All you need is Lust Azyrran rolling crit on Song of Splendor ...

azyrran_bimbo_bust.Moira.0.png
Azyrran begins to sing the song of an ancient elven bard, evoking the majesty and splendor of the Jade Queen of Vytania: "And lo the queen beheld her guest, and was overcome with desire, for she was clad all in silver chain and the essence of dragons..." Allies' Sexiness has been improved!
whisper_bust.DCL.0.png
Whisper A feels the gaze of the queen, and is flushed by her presence! (-53)
whisper_bust.DCL.0.png
Whisper B feels the gaze of the queen, and is flushed by her presence! (-96) Critical Hit!
whisper_bust.DCL.0.png
Whisper C feels the gaze of the queen, and is flushed by her presence! (-100) Critical Hit!
On normal difficulty, she just nuke all of their resolve around 40%ish
Then just use any lust damage available to you to finish the job. For blackmage like me it's Shadow magic + Soul arrow.

Another note is to use Remedy to cleanse silence from Cait. That help alot. This boss is kinda tough because Disarm + Silence can ruin everything.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Unless you're handicapping yourself for a challenge or RP reasons, you can also ditch attacks and just use Tease on him, which isn't affected by those conditions. As a villain once said to someone who was about to lose their voice: You still have your looks, your pretty face, and don't underestimate the importance of body language.

Kitchee

Jun 29, 2021
How do you avoid getting OHKO'd? He just erases either me or another party member on the first round. Also, are specific party members required? My party consists of Brint and Atugia, and one of the shortcuts listed above isn't available with consistency.

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
How do you avoid getting OHKO'd? He just erases either me or another party member on the first round. Also, are specific party members required? My party consists of Brint and Atugia, and one of the shortcuts listed above isn't available with consistency.
Which shortcut are you referring to? If your really struggling with whisper, there's always the option to turn down the difficulty. You can also just set combat to manual and have all party members tease the real one to win. Whisper's super RNG dependant sometimes, so keep trying.

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
Can someone post what the stats are on the two new armors, ring, and giant's glove are?
I don't recall getting a ring from the dungeon. For everything else:
Giant's Gloves-Armor Penetration 15
Dream-Plate-Focus 80, Ward 30, Penetrating Res 25, Armor 20, Mag Res 10, Crushing res -10
Lureling Eye-Tease/Mind res 25, Focus 20

I'll add this to the post at the top for future reference.

Reactions: Gooch

CitrusWolf

May 19, 2020
okay so is the lureling's eye equipable at the moment or are we waiting for an update?

Eciton

Feb 23, 2021
This is really helpful, thanks for the post. Out of curiosity, are you planning on doing this for major dungeons in the future too? That'd be really cool

IIdarkfireII

Aug 16, 2020
I managed to hit the real whisper by pure luck and one ability in particular allowed me to beat him. Equanimity one of the abilities you get from Zo which boosts both crit chance and crit damage. I had a black mage set up so I used that as well as grease and fireball so when it crit it hit all three at once. Still took me about 3 tries to make it work though. My main stats are willpower, cunning, and agility. I used llamaer armor so my evasion and defense was high enough that I could last long enough to pull it off.

Last edited: