A Paladin’s Mission (for shinyhappyfitsofrage)

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Several months ago, the demonic fortress had risen from the seas, like an obsidian spearhead radiating corruption into the waters. While it has not yet reached the coast, those who live along it are still affected. In particular, sailors and fishermen are affected the worst, creating a rise in piracy.

Adventuring parties have been spent towards the demonic fortress, but the few who manage to return sane have only tales of horror and corruption to bring, having not managed to even breach the gates.

The royal temple has sent a paladin on a mission to strike into the demon fortress. Thankfully, he has not been sent on this journey alone; with him are two companions - a cleric who is the daughter of a duke and a bound demoness a group of priests had captured twenty years ago.

After he receives his last blessings before his journey, the paladin leaves walking out through the main gate to meet his two companions.

As he leaves the temple, the paladin sees with his two companions; the cleric, armored in chainmail and bearing a spear and shield, smiled as the bound demoness, dressed in the robes of a priestess and wearing a golden collar emblazoned with holy symbols, glowered down at the two, crossing her arms.

“Ah, greetings fair paladin!” the cleric said with a smile and wave of her spear. “My name is Madeline Greywall! I’m not exactly the most experienced, but I’m trained and have a lot of enthusiasm about this whole thing! Hopefully, I can serve you well!”

The demoness shrugs. “Eh, I really don’t give a shit about this personally, but because of this collar if I act all disobedient and shit I’ll be fucked up, so I’ll do what I can.” She then chuckles. “Of course, then again, maybe this is what I need-its definitely more entertaining than being stuck in a temple for two decades.” She then shook her head. “Anyway, you can call me Hest. Don’t really need to use a long name.”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion's tenure as a paladin had been rocky. Multiple times he'd been recommended to the priesthood... he was studious, contemplative, intuitive, and had views on scripture and theology in general that drew some circles of scholars and prestige to him. He was shy, demure, and anxious, all traits that didn't hinder priests too terribly...

But were fatal for the more martial minded of the paladin order.

It was the path he'd chosen, though, and one way or another he'd made his way down that route. The holy nature of a priest, the martial prowess of a warrior. A paladin wasn't quite either of these things, yet he was a whole lot greater than the sum of his parts. A charismatic leader, a font of wisdom and knowledge, a shield for the weak, and a blade feared by his enemies... a paladin had many demands of him. Bastion bore good armor and arms, the white plate of his order decorated with rams and lightly gilded with golden trim. The armor didn't bear too much wear and tear yet, attesting to both his diligence in its cleanliness, and his inexperience. He was an up and comer, with many expectations upon him. He had potential... and, though he didn't know it, likely many enemies from within the church. He bore a short sword as a back up arm, and a black mace made of strange materials with four opposing ram heads as its business end, enchanted such that the eyes glowed an eerie pink, not unlike the color of his own eyes, the marked signature of his otherworldly heritage. He bore a crested kite shield as well, with the emblem of the church, and a similar cloak. While his other arms were decent, only the mace was of any real note. Perhaps it was an heirloom.

With such a heritage as his eyes attested to, it certainly seemed more likely. He was thought to be aasimar, celestial touched in his bloodline, which would explain his almost unnatural charisma and depth of wisdom. He was not cunning, but his eyes pierced sometimes, and in a way that could chill, if generally pleasantly. His black, cropped hair seemed short in noncommittal way, as though it being short were a new thing to him, and a revolutionary idea. His bangs weren't well tended to, and hung in strands before his wine pink eyes, face delicate and feminine of feature. He was a beauty... not handsome, as a man, but attractive in a way that turned the heads of far more men than women. One could call him boyishly cute, but even his voice had a feminine lilt to it, no matter his struggles against it.

Today was a big day for him. Though he didn't understand the politics behind the decision and took it at face value, he was excited to find a competent if novice cleric as his companion, in chain with spear and shield. Then, there was the demoness. He still wasn't sure of her part in this... an adviser? Someone to help them understand their foe as they proceeded? He'd think her a liability, an unhappy slave to the church only let out of her cage because she'd been found useful. It seemed... beneath the church. A tactic that was for those that didn't truly profess the ways of good. If something was evil as its nature, that should be respected, and they should be... what? Free'd? Destroyed? He didn't know the circumstances that led to her incarceration and slavery, but that didn't seem like the right answer to him.

Squaring his shoulders, plate shifting, he made his introductions with care... finding he was shorter than both of his companions. "Ah, hello! I am Bastion." Nothing formal, he always discarded formalities where possible. He didn't even provide a surname, though he didn't truly have one to provide. Still, all servants were equal in the eyes of the divine. "Ma'dam Greywall, ma'dam Hest. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintances." Another telling bit of wordchoice. He addressed the demon with the same respect as the cleric, as equals. Pauper or king, angel or demon, nothing separated others in the eyes of this boy.

The gates closed behind him, as though setting the tone for this adventure with their creaking and clamoring. "Ma'dam Greywall, our inexperience notwithstanding, we were chosen for this ordeal. I've heard nasty things about the fates of those who've attempted this fortress... but the church believes in us!" Who in the church, exactly? "So, I believe we will make them proud this day." He turned his attention to Hest, his bright, pink eyes as gentle and warm as when they laid upon Greywall. "I think I see greater experience in your eyes. I hope you will allow us the benefit of your wisdom, Hest. I've only ever known demons from the lore of pages and elders tales. Seeing you in person... this is a first for me."

Last edited:

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Nodding, Madeline said, “I suppose so! Although I feel that my lineage was part of the reason I was chosen-after all, as an esteemed member of the Greywall family, I’ll be able to provide communication with nobles. And as for the inexperience, I feel like we’ll be making up for that along the way; besides, I doubt you’ll be journeying with just us!”

“You’re not wrong,” Hest said. “Although I hope if we get any new members to this little party of ours, they’re just as attractive-I know at least I’d be in favor of that.” She looked at Bastion, smiling. “I have to admit though, our brave leader is definitely someone I wouldn’t mind-”

Suddenly, she clutched her head in pain as Madeline muttered a word in Celestial underbreadth. The demoness, shaking her head, shouted, “FUCK!” as she glared at the cleric.

Before Bastion could respond, Madeline said, “don’t worry; I only used a minor trigger phrase-it’s not going to do any actual damage, but it does give a sharp pain to the forehead. The more advanced ones are a fair few words longer and I’d rather commit other skills to my memory.” She then looked back at Hest, who had managed to recover. “I will admit he’s a rather beautiful man, but Bastion is a paladin-I doubt he’d have any interest in you.”

Hest rolled her eyes. “Well, I think you’re wrong, but you do you!” She then looked down at Bastion. “You have any thoughts on this?”

Regardless of what the paladin thought, the two women weren’t hard on the eyes; they were both quite attractive in their own way, even if they weren’t exactly cooperative.

Despite her equipment and abilities, Madeline had an air of innocence to her, with her wide grey eyes and freckle round face with a cute button nose. She was a hair shorter than most woman and had a lithe build. Her normally long flaxen hair was tied into a bun, keeping it out of the danger. Her shield was bore the symbol of her faith, but upon her tabard bore the symbol of her house, signaling who she was and where she came from.

The Demoness, meanwhile, was quite the opposite- even in her human form, her slanted violet eyes and sharp jawline, combined with her aquiline nose and pale skin, gave her a rather intimidating appearance. While her hair was concealed by the hood, Bastion could tell it was scarlet from her prominent eyebrows. And even though she was wearing concealing vestments, it wasn’t hard to tell she had quite the curves on her body. She was also quite tall, standing a full foot above the young paladin.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion felt a twitch in his lip when Madeline muttered in Celestial. She would be useful, indeed, if they were to rub shoulders with the elite. However... "While I have never bothered with temptations of the flesh, miss Greywall, I do think it is not for us and ours to use torture so readily. Please, let us save such methods for time of dire urgency, if we use them at all." Bastion seemed to have a very strong opinion on using pain as a tool... even against demons. As to Hest's compliment, he simply gave that easy smile, nonchalant and genial. When he had to look up at the very tall demoness, he showed signs of being intimidated. He was well trained as a paladin, and though his manner was resolute, he naturally blushed and avoided eye contact with Hest. He was demure, and though martial and etiquette training suppressed that side of his a good deal, he had a very obvious submissive side to him. Time would tell whether he had a side for dominance, aggression, and command. He was also used to being around lovely women... women. Demons and demonesses were another story.

He was given more to ponder in Madeline's words, however. "There will be others, miss Greywall? I was under the impression this would be just us. That is probably for the best, though. None of us have much experience with dungeoning, excluding miss Hest, perhaps." Dungeoning, and a good deal many other things. Bastion certainly couldn't pick a lock, nor haggle for a roof over their heads when money was tight, nor find the way in even the normal forests about them, let alone unfamiliar territory without the most obvious of signs to follow. Their current group had many holes in its talents, and they had a likely deadly journey ahead.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
“Yes,” Madeline said, nodding. “A carriage will be arriving here soon to take us to a nearby inn down the road; there are sure to be some people there with adventuring experience.”

“Well,” Hest said smiling, looking at Bastion blushing and try to avoid her gaze, “I do think that I’ll be able to help a little-I still know how to use my demon magic, even if it is restricted by this fucking collar, which will help with some of the locks, as well as let me take care of your asses in a fight-it would definitely be a shame if we lost such precious artifacts, after all!” She then gave Simon a wink as Madeline sighed in exasperation.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
The only precious artifact Bastion carried was his mace. It really was a valuable weapon. Still, he also had a very good steed, of which he'd been informed he wouldn't be needing on this journey. "A carriage? Well, I do suppose it will be swifter." He never really imagined riding off to adventure in a carriage. Ah, well. Those were mere boyhood fantasies, with little bearing on the real world.

In truth, it was all he could do to carry himself like a paladin. His strong will was a buried thing, beneath a timid surface, and the more powerful visage he showed the world was a trained deception. Bastion was a naturally timid creature, though his superiors thought battlefield experience would cure him of much of that. "That you can aid us in battle is re assuring Hest." He touched the upper rim of the shield on his back, showing a rather impressive dexterity with his full plate. It was well crafted. "I am the shield that guards my allies..." A mantra, of sorts. Bastion was built to protect... his shield was more important than his weapon, in battle, no matter that it wasn't near his weapons value or power. "Ah, Hest. I do not know the extent of your demonic heritage, nor how my holy capabilities might interact with it. I channel positive energy to provide healing. Were I to use it on you, you would heal properly, instead of suffering, I hope?" This seemed like something the church should have covered at some point, in his opinion.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Hest nodded. “Yes, it should work on me just fine-II’m not powered by negative energy like an undead; I can’t even channel it-my powers are more fire and poison based than anything like that. Despite what you two may think, I like people-they can be pretty fun with all the creative ideas they think up and can sometimes look good too,” she said, winking again at Bastion. “As for the undead, I hate them as much as you-they’re absolutely disgusting and generally speaking make pretty lousy company.”

Madeline nodded. “Well, at least we are in some agreement, although I do feel your sentiments are a bit too superficial in my opinion-that said, I’m glad you do have a positive perception of people.”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion was keeping an eye out for that carriage, feeling awkward now, simply standing about. "That's good to know." Then, he could heal her if need be. He could turn undead, but had never specialized in turning outsiders, so that was nothing to worry about. Still... he didn't doubt that trying to detect evil might be a bit more difficult with her right next to him. The cleric already seemed to be getting along amiably with the demoness, and the demoness seemed to hold no bitterness for the use of slave bindings and threats of torture. All in all, it felt too eerily pleasant a dynamic for them to start with. The demoness seemed practically docile compared to the stories he'd been fed of her ilk, social and domesticated. More like a devil, but aside from casting eyes at him now and again, she didn't seem to be exercising much of that legendary guile. Then again... he had to admit he knew just how clueless he really was. He missed obvious things, was anxious about worries that weren't even his to worry about at times, and was moved to tears when no one was looking by his deep seated character flaws.

He grimaced, his mind skimming over his own inadequacies, which might look odd without context. It was hard trying to be manly and confident. Where was that damn carriage?

Last edited:

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
As he wondered about his prospects, the carriage pulled up to where they were standings, coming up the road. It’s cab wasn’t very large, only designed to house four. Still, it would keep them relatively safe due to having a roof and walls.

The driver, stepping down from his perch, greeted the three. “Why hallo! Nice to see I’ve got some lovely lasses to be transporting, although from what I heard, one of you’ve named Bastion, which doesn’t seem to Lady-like to me, but that’s okay: I wouldn’t judge anyhow!” The man walks up to Bastion and holds out his hand. “I presume your the leader, right? I have to say, you’ve got quite the pretty eyes-if I wasn’t a married man, I’d definitely be wanting for you!”

While Madeline showed concerned, she bit her lip, holding herself back from speaking out. Meanwhile, Hest covered her mouth as she snickered, clearly amused by the driver’s mistake.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion had been flirted with by men before. Many, many times. He actually blushed, nodding to the driver, and extending a hand to take his. "A pleasure, sir." Bastion. It was a much better name than the one he'd grown up with... *Cherub*. It was the name of the loveliest of angelkin, the one that concerned its self with love and sexual passion, and interfered most with mortal races. At least, it was better in his eyes, as he wished to one day be seen as a man. For now, he didn't even correct the driver, mindful of the chortles of his companions. Well, one companion. He imagined Madeline's chuckles.

Bastion wasn't the best at standing up for himself, clearly, as he accepted the flirtations with grace and ignored them. "I have not been accepted by my companions as a leader. Here, in the church, I hold rank... but once we are in the field, that will be for my companions and myself to decide, based on merit." If he was to lead, it would be because he was the best for the job. He was fine following, should they have someone more competent, wiser. When everyone was putting their lives on the line, Bastion's first thought was seeking out the best chance they had, to safeguard everyone's interests. He would not cling to power when it would be to the detriment of his companions.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
The driver, nodding, went back to his carriage. “Very well then! Let’s be heading often!” he said, as he got up back to his perch. “Now all aboard!”

Madeline looked to Bastion expectantly, as Hest entered into the cab, grinning.

“Well, this is probably the last time we’ll be here for a long while,” The cleric said. “I hope you’re ready to go!”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion took a moment before he understood why Madeline was looking at him, and almost got on without realizing it. He was used to the female side of etiquette too. He blushed when he realized his mistake, and offered her a hand, to help her up, as Hest had clambered aboard herself, uninterested in such formalities. When Madeline spoke to him, he nodded. "Very much so. I've been speaking of a desire to get out of the walls of monasteries and temples and churches and onto adventure for some time." He'd even put all his affairs in order, in case he never returned... perhaps a bit melodramatic, but he liked to be ready.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Madeline had only meant for him to enter the cab, but took his hand anyway out of politeness. Stepping into the cab, they saw Hest had already decide to take up as much space as she could on her side, spreading her legs and leaning back into the seat, smiling. “Nice to see you, madam Bastion,” she teased. “I hope the spring ball provides.”

The Cleric, while fuming from what Hest said, decided to ignore her and sat down to think of something else.

Meanwhile, Bastion could see that his Demoness companion had a rather substantial package hidden underneath her robes, although she didn’t seem to really care if he looked as she teased Madeline, saying, “well, I guess you won’t be receiving any prince’s kiss tonight!”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion didn't seem to mind Hest's teasing at all, instead laughing it off. "I'm more used to being treated as a woman, in truth. I was raised as such. It is... difficult to adjust my outlook on the world to a more... masculine point of view." The package on display got a brow heft out of him. "Though, it would seem you perhaps know more of such than I." He'd never seen such a thing, on a female. That was curious... and made him wonder if all demons were created that way. The demoness seemed to be getting under Madeline's skin, and Bastion made small talk to try and distract her. "Ah, what lies ahead of us. I'm afraid I've only heard the barest of rumors. They are somewhat somber, but I can only guess as to whether they are exaggerated. Perhaps you know more, miss Greywall?"

Last edited:

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Madeline, distracted Now by the mission, nodded, taking a deep breath. “From the few reports we have, the demon fortress is a massive spire made of a glassy black rock, pocketed numerous holes. It’s seepinng with corrupting, spreading it out into the seas and turning the waters purple. It has become a graveyard of ships, their broken hulls like skeletons bleaching out in the suns. So far, no one has managed to get inside, so we don’t have any idea of what lies inside.

“This also leads to another facet: sailors who have become corrupted by the demonic presence are turning to a quite nasty form of piracy, targeting coastal villages. I’d rather not read about these raids, since the details they provide are more than enough to make me feel queasy-it is quite terrible what these men do.”

The demoness, grinning, looked at Bastion. “Really? I don’t really know how much I could help, but if you’re willing-well, I suppose I shouldn’t risk it.” she said, as Madeline gave her a look. “But anyway, you should probably start being a little more assertive-if you act all submissive like that, then you’ll just manage to get stepped on, which isn’t exactly a bad thing but I doubt that’s your fetish.”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion winced at the description of the hellhole they were stepping into, and again at being called out for his timid nature. "Ah ha, yes, that is something I am working on." He rubbed the back of his head. Fetish? He wasn't sure what that meant. He'd been manhandled and molested in the past... he was too pretty by far, and not very good at saying 'no'... but he'd thought he was doing a decent job hiding his insecurities.

He wasn't.

He ignored the demoness's little slip of an offer, and pondered Madeline's description. "It seems this place houses a powerful foe, to have such an effect on the world around it. Perhaps with an abundance of armed forces. We will... likely need more help." He had some talent, but no experience beyond his training. He was green as grass, with no delusions about it. Hest, without her collar on, could probably put him in the dirt. He had a lot of room to grow and would grow fast given the opportunity, but he doubted he'd find particularly accommodating foes here.

"What we should first be prepared to acknowledge is our foes strength. There is a chance that we will be supremely outclassed. We must be slow, methodical, and sure of ourselves in approaching this. There are too many unknowns, and we would be foolish not to acknowledge our lack of experience in the field." Honestly, he was still wondering why he hadn't been started on... hunting down goblins that preyed on rural villages, or some such. This seemed a task for grizzled veterans with long tenures fighting in life and death situations alongside trusted comrades that they could understand without words, not a couple of greenhorn strangers. He hoped they had a lot of help.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
“I suppose that’s why I was sent here with you,” Hest spoke up suddenly. “I don’t doubt they’d be risking their top paladins on this, but I’m pretty sure our goal isn’t actually to destroy it-that’d be a bit beyond our skills. Rather, our job is to perform some reconnaissance and discover what’s inhabiting it. Not only that, but I highly doubt we’re getting a carriage ride from down to the coast-he’s just taking us up to the inn. Then we’ll be on our own and have to pay for it ourselves if we want to get carted around instead of walk on our feet! That way, we’ll have to do some adventuring on a journey over there!”

Madeline, eyes widened in surprise, said in an astonished tone, “I’m impressed you were able to get all that from some basic clues- I’d have wagered you read my mind, but I’m pretty sure that’s disallowed by the runes on your collar!”

Heat nodded, satisied in herself. “Oh please, it was pretty easy to tell- after all, you two need some experience with the world, and it isn’t like they’d want to waste money like that when a perfectly good group of adventurers should be able to make it on their own!”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion quirked a brow at the explanation. "If it was just reconnaissance though, wouldn't someone more... suitable for such work be sent? Alone? The church has inquisitors, and moreover, access to mercenaries capable in the ways of stealth." He felt like there was just more to it. Something didn't make sense. He had no idea what sort of struggles went on within the church, however... politics were well beyond his purview. He tapped his chin, in thought, though his thoughts went nowhere in particular.

His armor rattled obnoxiously as the carriage lumbered along the roads. "Yes... I will be missing my horse, but I'd not feel right bringing him into this land anyway, honestly. I doubt it'd be safe for him to eat the grass in a land that seems to weep corruption..." Or drink the water. "Speaking of which, we should remember to stock rations well. I have a bag of holding thanks to my station. I have a feeling it will be invaluable." Another extravagantly expensive luxury, along with his handful of healing potions and scrolls, holy water and the like. He did come well prepared, or so he liked to think.

He looked to Hest. "Do you really think we'll be strong enough to... 'make it on our own'? This sort of thing seems... unprecedented. Perhaps you know more you'd care to share about this ebony spire?"

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Hest shrugged. “Well, it’s an a abyssal spike that’s piercing into this plane-it’s kind of like the needle of a manticore, except way bigger and instead of leaking out normal poison it’s leaking out demons and corruption. It’s pretty rare for something like this to happen, honestly-usually it’s a way to get more demons into the material plane without relying on some jackass to summon them. While usually these get resolved by celestials, it takes a long while, and the damage caused by it sticks around for at least a couple centuries, but usually longer.”

As she finished, the carriage stopped and the driver called, “all off! We’re at the Saint’s Eye Inn!”

As Hest pounced off from her seat, barreling through the carriage doors and rolling on the ground, grinning, Madeline looked to Bastion with a soft smile. “So, may you step off, my dear paladin? We have business to attend to, after all!”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion's mind churned over those tidbits. An abyssal spike... seemed like something more like to be seen penetrating the Hells in the blood wars. He had made some small study of those affairs. "Must be someone very powerful indeed to thrust such a thing into the mortal realm..." And the celestials were slow to respond... very slow. They were on their own for the foreseeable future. He watched Hest do a barrel roll, with a somewhat fond smirk. He found her... refreshingly honest, thus far. He'd expected far more devilry. Or, demonry. He had some difficulty remembering the two types of evil were vastly different. He looked to Madeline as she spoke, and nodded. "Time does not favor us in this. I'm afraid we must woo take steps to woo her." Meaning, he understood they needed to keep this moving at a good clip. He'd hop off the carriage, instead of seeing to formalities, approaching the Saint's Eye.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Nodding Madeline followed hopping off. “Hey, I honestly don’t mind-merely keeping formalities is all.”

Hest smiled. “Heh, I suppose you do you-I’m not exactly into all that frivolous shit.”

The carriage driver shook hands with Bastion. “Nice to meet such lovely people, but I’ll be heading out now-I’ve got other jobs to go to, after all!” He then got back up on his perch. “Goodbye, and May I see you again!”

With the crack of a whip, the carriage drove down the road, heading back towards the city. The Saint’s Eye, meanwhile, stood there-a two-floored inn with a blue shingled roof and laticed with wood of holly. The sign hanging outside it was of an eye surrounded by a glowing light, signaling the place’s name.

“According to what I know,” Madeline said, “this place apparently houses the eye of some sort of Ancient Saint! It probably has some divine properties, which could really come in handy for us!” She then looked to Bastion. “What do you think?”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion thought for a moment that perhaps he had his etiquette lessons backwards... it wouldn't be the first time. Was this military or church formality? She was an armored, armed woman. He shook his head, trying to dispel the frivolous thoughts. He shook the carriage drivers hand, smiling and wishing him well as he took off. Then, he turned his attention back to the inn.

"Divine properties? It could, then, perhaps be a place of refuge and safety." That was a nice thought. If they were forced to retreat from forces too powerful to handle, then this place could be a place of real safety, if Madeline's knowledge proved true. "Let us hope it will not prove troublesome for Hest. Although, Hest, you are able to abide by consecrated places already, correct? The church has been keeping you... close, I'd imagine." He talked as he walked, towards the inn.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
“It isn’t a problem,” Hest said, “although it’s good to be cautious-while the innkeeper was probably informed, I doubt everyone there will be.” She then examined at the cleric and Bastion, rubbing her chin. “Although, if we share a room together, maybe I can give you some ‘training’ that will help both of you out!”

Madeline, hearing this, looked at Bastion square in the eyes, saying, “I’d advice you not accept any deals for her-she’s probably just trying to trick us into doing something that will only benefit her and neither of us!”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion looked at Madeline. "Deals?" He looked back at Hest. "Pardon the question, but are you devil or demon?" He was looking at her squarely... it seemed this was an important question to him.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
“Actually, I’m a Cambion,” she stated plainly. “Demoness isn’t actually a title given to actual demons, since they’re usually too ugly for that-most of the time, it’s fiends like me who get that title.” She then chuckled. “Well, half-fiends, but the term still applies.” She then sighed. “As for my training, well, I think it would be beneficial to you two personally, but that isn’t to say I wouldn’t get something out of it too. I suppose I should at least tell you what it is, right?”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion pursed his lips. "Then, like a tiefling, why do you not have rights to your person? Why has the church collared you so? You are not a demon. Your fate should be your own to choose. Were you convicted of some high crime?" He didn't even ask about her offer, seeming quite intensely focused on this discussion.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Hest shook her head, annoyed by his questions. “Listen, I know you’re trying to be all nice and shit, but there’s a lot of differences between cambions and tieflings! And besides, I’d rather not talk about my past-at least not here, okay?”

As the two talked, the door opened. “Ah, I see we have our special visitor’s here,” said the man at the door. “Welcome to the Saint’s Eye!”

Relieved by the interruption, Hest walked inside. Madeline approached Bastion from behind and said, “she’s not wrong-cambions are born into the Abyss from the union between a human and a demon. From what I’ve heard, they’re supposedly all male, as well as incredibly rare and powerful. That makes her earlier statement about them seem pretty sketchy, although maybe she was talking less about Cambions and more about half-fiends in general.”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion watched her as she shrugged off his questions and walked on without them, brow furrowed. Madeline came up beside him with some details, and he was quiet while she spoke. "How then, did she wind up a charge of the church?" He didn't really think Madeline could answer the question, but he was having trouble envisioning how that might have happened... and why she was sent with them to deal with this abyssal threat in the capacity they were supposedly expected to. He walked on behind Hest, silent after that, until they reached the door and were welcomed by the doorman. "Hail, and well met. I am paladin Bastion." He'd leave the others to introduce themselves, waiting. He didn't know them well enough to simply speak for them, after all.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Bastion watched her as she shrugged off his questions and walked on without them, brow furrowed. Madeline came up beside him with some details, and he was quiet while she spoke. "How then, did she wind up a charge of the church?" He didn't really think Madeline could answer the question, but he was having trouble envisioning how that might have happened... and why she was sent with them to deal with this abyssal threat in the capacity they were supposedly expected to. He walked on behind Hest, silent after that, until they reached the door and were welcomed by the doorman. "Hail, and well met. I am paladin Bastion." He'd leave the others to introduce themselves, waiting. He didn't know them well enough to simply speak for them, after all.
“And I am Madeline Greywall, of the noble house of the same name,” said the cleric, presenting her ring for them to see.

“And my name is Diana,” Hest said plainly, looking at the group of people before her. Despite how obviously she had lied before Bastion, he didn’t see any tells other than what he knew to be the truth.

“Well,” the innkeeper said, smiling slightly, “I suppose that’s nice to hear-what do you all want to drink? We haven’t got much fancy stuff-mainly ale and cheap wine.”

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Bastion watched Madeline introduce herself, then Hest... who introduced herself as Diana. He furrowed his brows, but didn't speak. The innkeeper told them of the house's drinks, and Bastion smiled. "If you've milk or any fresh juices, I'll have one of those. If not, boiled water will suffice, still hot, if you please." He'd make his way into the taven, and take a seat. He wanted out of his armor already, and they'd barely even started... he doubted he'd be coming out of it often before their mission was finished. He'd need to remain on his guard. He would have difficulties sleeping fully plated, however. He'd have to take the chance at night.