[0.9.008-PUBLIC#2194 & 0.9.034] EMP Grenades (Still) Do Not Stun Expected Enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
EMP Grenades do not Stun:
Gray Goo
Mining Robot
Urbolg's Turret
Kyrm's Auto-Turret
Security Drone (Kara Quest 2)
Taursuit
Tam's Auto-Turrets
Typhon

Also, are EM Poppers supposed to not do HP damage, even to Robots? There are several Robotic enemies that don't have Shields, making EMP Grenades superior, even though they are significantly cheaper.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Bump for 0.9.029-PUBLIC#2748. I should note that all the enemies in the list above were Stunned in Flash.
They don't Stun Loaderbot 9000, either.

Last edited:

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
0.9.034 said:
Make AI type enemies vulnerable to EMP. (lowercase_donkey)
The patch notes indicate that the intent is for EMP Grenades to Stun all Robotic enemies again, but I tested Mining Robot/Grey Goo Girl/Security Drones and they aren't Stunned correctly. I assume it's true for the other enemies on the list. Did something not get merged, or was there a communication issue?

lowercase_donkey

Scientist
Apr 27, 2016
No, all I did was add "AI" type enemies to a long list of things vulnerable to EMP. Please read that narrowly.

I did not change EMP behavior, fen wants to work on it. Currently, it will only stun things that have an active shield. That's really uncommon for robots.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for the clarification.

I still think 'Robots with Shields' isn't a big enough category to make EMP Grenades useful, but if Fenoxo is working on it, I certainly can't fault you for not wanting to make major changes.

lowercase_donkey

Scientist
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks for the clarification.

I still think 'Robots with Shields' isn't a big enough category to make EMP Grenades useful, but if Fenoxo is working on it, I certainly can't fault you for not wanting to make major changes.
I just whipped this up for fen, I think my code to make this was probably right, but it's rough:

Robots:
with shields:
JavaScript:
[
    "Siegwulfe",
    "drone",
    "slamwulfe drone",
    "excavation robot",
    "firewall",
    "fenris drone",
    "LG-BT",
    "MG turret",
    "flame turret",
    "laser turret",
    "rocket pods",
    "security droid",
    "sex bot",
    "sex bot",
    "sex bot",
    "Patrol Bot",
    "Turret Bot",
    "heavy munition bot",
    "repair unit",
    "shield unit"
]
without shields:

JavaScript:
[
    "Bess",
    "auto-turret",
    "Narc",
    "turret mite",
    "Vi",
    "V-Ko",
    "machina",
    "Dark Chrysalis drone",
    "Doll Maker",
    "Deconstruction Unit",
    "gray goo",
    "double goo’s left side",
    "double goo’s right side",
    "auto-turrets",
    "security drone",
    "mining robot",
    "Nym-Foe",
    "taursuit",
    "Thare drone",
    "Typhon",
    "vending machine",
    "heavy gun turret",
    "Loaderbot 9000"
]

"Typhon" is who I added in the last patch, as previous his type, "AI", did not make him a robot.

Reactions: Theron

JakeFromStateFarm

Jan 15, 2016
machina is another bot that doesnt get affected by poppers and emp grenades (seriously, why 2 grenades that do the same thing? EMPoppers and EMP grenades)

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
machina is another bot that doesnt get affected by poppers and emp grenades (seriously, why 2 grenades that do the same thing? EMPoppers and EMP grenades)
They don't. EMP Grenades can do HP damage. EM Poppers only do Shield damage.
Besides which, 15 vs 150 damage is a pretty big difference.

Currently EMP Grenades/Poppers Stun the Gabilani Cyborg. Not sure if it's a bug, but probably worth mentioning.
Inspect (Damage). after throwing once:
EMP Grenade: 14.549999999999999
EM Popper: 142.84299939148804
Reported damage seems to change vs the enemy you used it on.

Last edited:

Balek Crisp

Dec 30, 2020
The United States
They don't. EMP Grenades can do HP damage. EM Poppers only do Shield damage.
Besides which, 15 vs 150 damage is a pretty big difference.

Currently EMP Grenades/Poppers Stun the Gabilani Cyborg. Not sure if it's a bug, but probably worth mentioning.
Inspect (Damage). after throwing once:
EMP Grenade: 14.549999999999999
EM Popper: 142.84299939148804
Reported damage seems to change vs the enemy you used it on.
Fact that EM Poppers don't do HP damage while its inferior version can is a little depressing, ngl... welp; at least there's ero gas for that.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Maybe fixed for the next release, at least partially. I won't be touching any of the damage values, so the fix is primarily for triggering the stun.

It's a bit of a cluster, but before applying Stun, the grenades will first check if the target is vulnerable to EMP. To be vulnerable, the target must not already be stunned, is not Grounded (a damage resistance type), and has Shields and is a Cyborg/Robot. That last half was the iffy portion. I believe the "has Shields" had been updated to only look for a shield item--which is great for checking against the player character as a target... however NPC targets aren't all set the same. I recall the old "has Shields" also had a variant that just checks if the target had the "SHIELDS" stat (since some targets could have "ARMOR" or no named shield stat at all. And while the Cyborg/Robot check was correct, since some enemies never had proper shield items equipped, they didn't count as vulnerable because "has Shields" would return false.

The correction should now make the EMP vulnerability check set as:
  • the target must not already be stunned
  • is not Grounded
  • has an equipped shield (EMPs blow out electric shields)--or has a named shield and is a Cyborg/Robot (a robot must be electric, so having a "SHIELDS" is a prerequisite)
Hopefully this fixes the function of the EMP to work like it was initially intended.

Reactions: Theron
Status
Not open for further replies.