[0.9.001-PUBLIC#2018] Ship Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo1206

Aug 28, 2015
So i noticed after buying a new ship i cant access any ship storage,unable to even click on any of the tabs and it seems my items are still there because it says "* Equipment: 10/30 slots used."

OrangeBurner

Mar 13, 2022
I can also confirm this is also affecting: Tarvos Nursery's storage, Taivra's Palace and the Inventory.
Unclickable buttons in storage.png
Unclickable buttons in inventory.png

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Are you sure they're actually unclickable? They look like that for me, but they do function. Sometimes it takes a 2nd or 3rd click, though.
What browser are you using? I'm using Edge.

one_two

Jan 20, 2022
While the buttons appear disabled clicking on the buttons still works if you aim at the icon parts of the button, not the "background" of it.

OrangeBurner

Mar 13, 2022
After spamming the buttons for a bit only certain areas of the button work.

Weirdly, the location of where each button works is different for each button (usually in the "?"):
Unclickable buttons in inventory - 2.png

EDIT: The location in which I need to press the button is actually randomised each time I reload the storage menu.

one_two

Jan 20, 2022
EDIT: The location in which I need to press the button is actually randomised each time I reload the storage menu.
Have you tried aiming at the icon (white parts of the button)? It works consistently each time for me.

OrangeBurner

Mar 13, 2022
If you mean the actual icon's of the button (e.g. The sword) I've tried those it doesn't work.
A consistent strat that's worked (so far) is to just click around the border of the button.

What browser are you using? I'm using Edge.
Might as well mention I'm using Firefox.

OrangeBurner

Mar 13, 2022
I can't actually remember if these buttons worked in [Game Version: 0.9.001-PUBLIC#1993]

If they did and were just broken in [Game Version: 0.9.001-PUBLIC#2018]
Could it have anything to do with:
Many instances where you could repeatedly activate a button that used to disable itself after the first activation should now work as expected. The Extort button after random ship combat is a good example of this pattern. (Gedan)

Joyeuse

May 4, 2022
I can't actually remember if these buttons worked in [Game Version: 0.9.001-PUBLIC#1993]

If they did and were just broken in [Game Version: 0.9.001-PUBLIC#2018]
It worked yesterday if I recall correctly?

Edit: Also playing on firefox
Edit 2: It also happened to me with a clean save (decided to test it), so it's not an issue of changing ships

Last edited:

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Fixed.

Yes and no. The actual problem with the repeated activation was how we were disabling the buttons - to make the react components re-render we essentially need to give them a new property. For the button tray we give react an array of button data to render - react doesn't care about data inside that array changing, only that the array itself is a different object. The code that disabled the button didn't update the button array, so react didn't see any need to re-render the component, so the button never actually updated into a disabled state.

Whilst I was in there I realised that at some point we were both creating a much larger array of buttons than we need (it had been bumped up to 45), and that we were creating dummy objects with default data rather than just using a sparse array and inferring the lack of an object at a specific index being a disabled button. Which is where this problem came from - I didn't realise the Button compoent used in the button tray is also the component used for a bunch of icon-based buttons, and the code inferring if a button should be disabled only considered the title property, ie, text to display on the button, and not the presence of an icon key.

Ninja Edit: The reason the buttons are still probably clickable in some places is an artefact of how the click event handler is bound to the stack of elements that build the button, mixed with the fact we're using SVG based icons. There'll be some clickable default area based on some non-rendered part of the SVG that isn't being scaled with the rest of the SVG itself, but normally this isn't an issue because we have the whole button body itself to act as backing for the clickable area too.

Reactions: OrangeBurner
Status
Not open for further replies.